#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #141
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
If the Gen 6 goes to 2021, then the chance of a Z/28 goes up, and it could borrow the 5.5L N/A engine. And it could potentially be faster than the upcoming 2020 GT500. All speculation, but fun to think about!
Base C8 mid-engine Vette debut for 2020, C8 Grand Sport, 6th Gen Z/28 and new Cadillac performance Coupe debuting the Alpha 2 platform all in 2021, and then Gen 7 Camaro also on Alpha 2 in 2022! That's a lot of speculation but I think I'm pretty close haha it's at least plausible!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #142
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Base C8 mid-engine Vette debut for 2020, C8 Grand Sport, 6th Gen Z/28 and new Cadillac performance Coupe debuting the Alpha 2 platform all in 2021, and then Gen 7 Camaro also on Alpha 2 in 2022! That's a lot of speculation but I think I'm pretty close haha it's at least plausible!
I think the mid-engine 'vette in 2020 may steal away a few buyers from the upcoming GT500. Especially since the GT500 will be a little harder to find and have big ADM's. Ford waited too long for this GT500 to come out. But it depends on which engine(s) will be available for the first year of the 'vette. If it's just the re-worked LT1, it may not be enough to lure many buyers away from the GT500. But if they have some of their new rumored power plants ready...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #143
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
So, IMHO, IF there were to be a Gen 6 Z/28, it definitely would get a Corvette engine. The question is, which one?

There are supposed to be several engine offerings with the new mid-engine C8. One is supposed to be a re-worked LT1 (let's call it an LT2) for about 500HP. Another is a N/A 5.5L FPC DOHC that will rev to 9,000 RPM for 600 HP, then there is the twin-turbo 5.5L FPC DOHC engine that is supposed to put out 800HP (and there is rumors of this engine combined with some electric motors in the front for 1,000HP).

Also, most auto manufacturers put out the mild versions first, then the more powerful versions later. So, they could put out the mid-engine vette with just the LT2 in the first year, or they could use the LT2, and the N/A 5.5.

I doubt a Gen 6 Z/28 would get the LT2, because it wouldn't be enough HP considering the GT350 has had 526 HP for the last several years. The 5.5L, maybe, but the timing is not right. GM likes to let Corvette have an engine for at least a year before letting it spill down into the Camaro. So, perhaps there will be a 2021 Z/28 with a 5.5L FPC DOHC 600 HP beast. But I'm not sure that 2021 won't be a Gen 7 Camaro. Or GM could let the mid-engine 'vette and Z/28 use the same engine beginning in the same year-2020, but I doubt it.

Then there is one more option, letting the Camaro get the LT5 from the C7 ZR1. This would allow the LT5 to be exclusive to the 'vette for a year. I'm not sure if they would still call it a Z/28, because they said in the Gen 5 Z/28, they like that name for an N/A motor.

If you told me that a Z/28 was officially confirmed, I would guess the LT5 engine. I would love to see the N/A 5.5 motor go in it, and remain N/A, but I'm not sure the timing is right.
Those are all great theories, the only one I don't think is plausible is the FPC. Not to turn this into a Ford vs GM engineering debate but look at all the problems Ford has had with the VooDoo. There is a reason FPC engines don't have the kind of displacement. What makes you think GM could do an even larger one, and make 600HP with it.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #144
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
If there were to be a z/28 this gen, do you guys think the zl1 1le will live along side it? Or do they turn the zl1 1le into a NA, lighter car and call it the z/28?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #145
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
If there were to be a z/28 this gen, do you guys think the zl1 1le will live along side it? Or do they turn the zl1 1le into a NA, lighter car and call it the z/28?
That is a good question, I think they could live along side each other but who knows.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #146
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The odds of a 6th gen Z/28 are small at this point. The 6th gen won’t be around much longer and the C7 is done. The C8 hasn’t even been revealed yet, so we can’t say there will be an appropriate engine to use. Even if there was, it wouldn’t be available to the Camaro for a while.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #147
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The odds of a 6th gen Z/28 are small at this point. The 6th gen won’t be around much longer and the C7 is done. The C8 hasn’t even been revealed yet, so we can’t say there will be an appropriate engine to use. Even if there was, it wouldn’t be available to the Camaro for a while.
You're always so negative in these Z/28 threads lol the 6th gen is going to be around at least until 2021, that leaves two more years for them to make it happen since I'm assuming we aren't getting it as a 2019. Still plenty of time my man!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #148
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Those are all great theories, the only one I don't think is plausible is the FPC. Not to turn this into a Ford vs GM engineering debate but look at all the problems Ford has had with the VooDoo. There is a reason FPC engines don't have the kind of displacement. What makes you think GM could do an even larger one, and make 600HP with it.
I agree with you here. I am very skeptical of the FPC and high revving N/A motor theory. But it's a theory out there right now. One thing GM could do, is make a dual intake system so they can go with the Ferrari like FPC firing order. Ford couldn't fit the intake, so they changed the firing order, and had to add most of the mass back to the crankshaft. Perhaps with the more traditional firing order, Chevy could get it done more reliably.

There are also rumors of a 4.2L DHOC engine (that will probably be twin-turbo'd). How many engines does Chevy need here? I think if there is both a 4.2 and 5.5, there will be no N/A motor. If there is just the 4.2 OR the 5.5, then we may see an N/A variant. AND it would almost have to be FPC to be able to make enough HP to be relevant (especially if the LT1 is supposed to get an upgrade). It's going to have to rev one way or another...
Old 08-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #149
Joel2702zzz

Drives: My Dad's car is a '16 1SS 6MT
Quote:
I agree with you here. I am very skeptical of the FPC and high revving N/A motor theory. But it's a theory out there right now. One thing GM could do, is make a dual intake system so they can go with the Ferrari like FPC firing order. Ford couldn't fit the intake, so they changed the firing order, and had to add most of the mass back to the crankshaft. Perhaps with the more traditional firing order, Chevy could get it done more reliably.

There are also rumors of a 4.2L DHOC engine (that will probably be twin-turbo'd). How many engines does Chevy need here? I think if there is both a 4.2 and 5.5, there will be no N/A motor. If there is just the 4.2 OR the 5.5, then we may see an N/A variant. AND it would almost have to be FPC to be able to make enough HP to be relevant (especially if the LT1 is supposed to get an upgrade). It's going to have to rev one way or another...
Why would it have to be FPC? The SLS AMG made 600 hp na with a crossplane and that was years ago.
Joel2702zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #150
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel2702zzz View Post
Why would it have to be FPC? The SLS AMG made 600 hp na with a crossplane and that was years ago.
It wouldn't HAVE to be FPC, but that is the rumor. The advantage of FPC is a lightweight crankshaft and higher RPMs. The AMG motor was a 6.2L displacement, and made peak power at about 7400RPM with a 8000RPM redline.

Because this new rumored engine has less displacement (5.5L vs. 6.2L) it would have to rev even higher (perhaps to 9000RPM), and FPC can help facilitate that. So, the rumor does have some logical merit.

But I still doubt it would happen, as I doubt there will even be an N/A version of these engines. I think the whole point of going lower displacement DOHC is it's better suited to boost, and these will be twin turbo designs. The current LT1 (and LT family of engines) also has an oversquare design where the diameter of the pistons is much larger than the stroke. This lends itself much better to N/A, but not as much to FI. I am guessing these new engines will be more of a square setup, or even undersquare to match better with the twin turbo setup. But, that wouldn't be ideal for a high revving N/A engine. Oversquare is better for that.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #151
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Think Ferrari 458 with more displacement, it may have more power then 600HP, at that size look for 640HP and 8500 rev limit, and i still think a 7 speed DCT, all we can do is hope.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #152
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Think Ferrari 458 with more displacement, it may have more power then 600HP, at that size look for 640HP and 8500 rev limit, and i still think a 7 speed DCT, all we can do is hope.
Rumor has it (take that for what it's worth) that Chevy is working with Tremec on an 8spd DCT for the mid-engine 'vette, and there will be no manual.

Last edited by whiteboyblues2001; 08-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #153
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
Team Camaro really, really needs to look at the weight issue for our "Top Dog Track Camaro".

The ONLY thing wrong with the ZL1 1LE is that it's 400lbs too heavy.

Strip it down, lighten it up, track only "variant" and call it a Z/28. The LT4 is so damn good.....I don't know why Al or anyone else thinks it must be NA. I've driven the piss out of this car for over 2,500 track miles, shifting right at redline and it just laughs and asks for more. I can't even get it to 210 degrees on the temps in 25min sessions. It is a spectacular car. Just too heavy to be the best track Camaro.

Literally every event I'm at at least one Voodoo GT350 grenades. Seriously. Complete fail. Don't even think about FPC....

On the big fast tracks where the weight penalty is over come with HP....this car can keep up with nearly anything (Porsche Cup cars and ZR1's excepted). The weight is a problem on the shorter technical tracks which drives me batshit that I can't catch cars that I'm passing all day long at RoadAmerica.

Take the weight out (really do the "if it isn't required by law or makes it go faster we left it out") - call it a Z/28 and I'll drive to Becky's door the next day and stand in line until mine gets delivered.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #154
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Team Camaro really, really needs to look at the weight issue for our "Top Dog Track Camaro".

The ONLY thing wrong with the ZL1 1LE is that it's 400lbs too heavy.

Strip it down, lighten it up, track only "variant" and call it a Z/28. The LT4 is so damn good.....I don't know why Al or anyone else thinks it must be NA. I've driven the piss out of this car for over 2,500 track miles, shifting right at redline and it just laughs and asks for more. I can't even get it to 210 degrees on the temps in 25min sessions. It is a spectacular car. Just too heavy to be the best track Camaro.

Literally every event I'm at at least one Voodoo GT350 grenades. Seriously. Complete fail. Don't even think about FPC....

On the big fast tracks where the weight penalty is over come with HP....this car can keep up with nearly anything (Porsche Cup cars and ZR1's excepted). The weight is a problem on the shorter technical tracks which drives me batshit that I can't catch cars that I'm passing all day long at RoadAmerica.

Take the weight out (really do the "if it isn't required by law or makes it go faster we left it out") - call it a Z/28 and I'll drive to Becky's door the next day and stand in line until mine gets delivered.
If Chevy thinks the Z/28 no longer HAS to be N/A, I would love to see a stripped down track setup car with the LT5. Tell me that wouldn't go fast around a track.

History suggests that the LT5 will be ZR1 exclusive, but Chevy has said they don't protect the Corvette anymore. They could do a tamer version of the LT5 and call it an LT6 or something (like they did with the LS9 and LSA engines).

But, if they did go all 600HP 5.5L FPC DOHC (like the rumors are suggesting), it would definitely save some more weight. Either way, I would LOVE for there to be a 6th Gen Z/28! I'm sure Chevy will do it right!