#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #15
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
The below thread talks a lot about this, and also ends with a great solution which is a Jones X-Pipe mid-muffler that helps quiet down the exhaust for people who have added headers and wanted to tame it down.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576096

OP - You're right the cost of exhaust is ridiculous now. That isnt going to change though, so I decided to just accept it and make sure I like whatever I spend money on.

Like you, I dont love the stock suitcase, but for me it is sound and not looks. When I get my car next year I plan to either add the Borla S-Type Axleback marketed for the SS(yes it fits the ZL1 pefectly) or AWE's touring edition axle-back exhaust. AWE doesnt offer valves, but it is $1,000 cheaper at $1400 and has NO drone, it's a great option.

I will add headers later once I have put 5k miles or so and ready to tune the car, but I already know without a doubt I will need to add the mid-muffler at the same time as the headers.

What is the difference with the SS version of the S-Type?

I really like the S-Type but I think it's just not quite loud enough, and ATAK seems a little too loud. I'm hoping the S-Type catback with x pipe would make it a little louder than axleback only.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #16
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I have the 2 inch ARH LTs and the full system including mufflers, but catless. Vengeance Racing did the install and they said this system is one of the easiest to install. The fit is excellent from headers to tail pipes. Keeping in mind that I am catless, the idle is a nice noticeable rumble. It turns into a growl at part throttle and roars beyond that. It is not “quiet” at any RPM, but it is far from a straight pipe sound. I do like the tone of this system, even at higher rpm’s it keeps a nice tone, it does not default to garbage truck tone like some systems do. Bottom line, very happy with the system, fit and finish and nice muscle car sound. Beware it is not as quiet as the suitcase nor would it be if I had cats.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
The thing that scares me about AWE is that even the Touring version might be a tad loud. I just don't want to do that to my neighbors since I live in the sticks.
I hear you. I do cold starts in a closed garage myself to be a better neighbor. After that, its fine if youre not giving it a ton of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeauxy View Post
Ahh ok, good to know. Thank you for the clarification! I will probably do that then and go LTs then see how loud it is.

Waiting on CSP to get their 2" LTs and ultra cats back in stock in September
Good choice! So far the Gen II cats seem to hold up to high power levels too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keko View Post
What is the difference with the SS version of the S-Type?

I really like the S-Type but I think it's just not quite loud enough, and ATAK seems a little too loud. I'm hoping the S-Type catback with x pipe would make it a little louder than axleback only.
I dont think there is any difference, they just dont market the axle-back for the ZL1. Plenty of ZL1 owners have the axleback, works just fine.

Sounds great too:
Old 08-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #18
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Could you fill me in (if you don't mind), on why keeping the stock suitcase is a beneficial route to take if you go just headers?
As answered above, because it sounds good. You also retain NPP for those times when you want to be a good neighbor or not wake the baby. And you don't have to spend kilobucks to replace it.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #19
zig_zag
2SS ickle

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE, 2022 2SS 1LE
Good advice - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I think he recommends this because most people are not aware how loud the exhaust becomes when you add headers, a lot of the aftermarket systems are great until you add headers, and then it is too loud for a lot of people's taste.

Stock suitcase is the quietest option, best to start there and if still not loud enough you can add a new axleback etc.

Going the other way has caused lots of regret.

2022 ZL1 black/black, MT, (SOLD)
2023 C8 Corvette, 2LT / Amplify Orange, Z51(SOLD)
zig_zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #20
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Ok so I have been debating this as well. Could you fill me in (if you don't mind), on why keeping the stock suitcase is a beneficial route to take if you go just headers?

I've seen opinions back and forth saying to keep it and to not keep it and go full exhaust.
It's the cheapest route to allowing you to control the sound. However, its pretty debatable if you actually like the sound with headers and the stock suitcase muffler, most don't.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #21
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
If you plan to do headers, keep your stock NPP if you get an axle back first.

I have a set of brand new 2" ARH with offroad X on the shelf waiting to be installed by my local shop. They are the best headers money can buy for these cars.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #22
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
If you plan to do headers, keep your stock NPP if you get an axle back first.

I have a set of brand new 2" ARH with offroad X on the shelf waiting to be installed by my local shop. They are the best headers money can buy for these cars.
Best is 100% subjective.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:14 AM   #23
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
2” CSP headers with ultra cats into stock NPP. Love it. My only complaint may be that I would like a little more volume open, but it definitely screams. It’s sounds good and can get really quiet even with headers with valves closed. Zero drone.

No CATs is a different story I believe. Never heard it personally, but consensus on here is headers+cat delete and stock NPP doesn’t sound great.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:37 AM   #24
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
No CATs is a different story I believe. Never heard it personally, but consensus on here is headers+cat delete and stock NPP doesn’t sound great.
That's what I'm running now and honestly it sounds pretty good. The local mechanics that work on my car love the sound and I got some compliments at the race track.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #25
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
2” CSP headers with ultra cats into stock NPP. Love it. My only complaint may be that I would like a little more volume open, but it definitely screams. It’s sounds good and can get really quiet even with headers with valves closed. Zero drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
That's what I'm running now and honestly it sounds pretty good. The local mechanics that work on my car love the sound and I got some compliments at the race track.
I think it just comes down to what tone you like. Some like a raspy exhaust, some dont. Headers no cats and the NPP is a real raspy combo, but its still pure muscle car so it sounds great haha. I prefer something cleaner, like Borla S-Type but damn thats expensive.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #26
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I like my current exhaust setup and get compliments on it all the time the way it sounds. Was it loud in the car, yes. Noticed I said loud inside the car. After spending money and wasted gray matter I decided I like the sound outside the car. So, do something inside and this is what I did. Applied 80 mil Killmat and then Noico 315 mil strategically. Reduced inside sound level by half as measured by my ear.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:36 PM   #27
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I like my current exhaust setup and get compliments on it all the time the way it sounds. Was it loud in the car, yes. Noticed I said loud inside the car. After spending money and wasted gray matter I decided I like the sound outside the car. So, do something inside and this is what I did. Applied 80 mil Killmat and then Noico 315 mil strategically. Reduced inside sound level by half as measured by my ear.
Now this is a high IQ individual.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote