Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Question: Pads and Rotors

Just replaced my rotors and pads with Powerstop Drilled Slotted and Z26 pads.

After reading on these forums, I am starting to wonder if I made a huge mistake.

Had Reputable Chevy Dealer install the rotors and pads, and they've been squeaking/squealing since they were installed.

I did attempt to do the Break-in Procedure Powerstop outlined, but where I live there is a good amount of traffic and finding the open road for that is not easy.

The squeal is embarrassingly loud almost like I need to fix my brakes, even though I just replaced them.

I've driven about 100 miles on them and I am wondering if the squeaking will stop at some point.

I'm starting to get that gut feeling of me pissing away $500 for nothing.

Thinking about going back to OEM Rotors with the new pads as per what seems like a lot of suggestion.

Any ideas?
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Did the break-in procedure on mine as outlined and have zero issues at all with squeaking/squealing.

My only advice is to find a road you can do the break-in properly, not just attempt to do it properly. I'd think any new breaks/rotors, even OEM would require a break-in. So if you go back to OEM wouldn't you have the same issue?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
As tedious as it sounds, check to make sure nothing got onto the pads.
At the same those powerstop rotors are crap, I would throw a new set of the oem rotors back on and order a new set of pads and re-seat them. Thankfully I never got a set of the rotors due to a buddy ordering them and having your same issue, but have used the pads with oem rotors multiple times now and have never had an issue.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
FlukeSS

Was hoping there might be some way to get them to work without having to replace the rotors again. $1100 lesson learned I guess.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 08-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang N’ Bang View Post
As tedious as it sounds, check to make sure nothing got onto the pads.
At the same those powerstop rotors are crap, I would throw a new set of the oem rotors back on and order a new set of pads and re-seat them. Thankfully I never got a set of the rotors due to a buddy ordering them and having your same issue, but have used the pads with oem rotors multiple times now and have never had an issue.
Why are they crap? I have had them for a couple years now. No squeaking/squealing... So mine aren't crap? Plenty of guys on here have them and have no issues.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Why are they crap? I have had them for a couple years now. No squeaking/squealing... So mine aren't crap? Plenty of guys on here have them and have no issues.
Why do I have to be one of the ones who have issues?

Its not fair!
Old 08-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Why do I have to be one of the ones who have issues?

Its not fair!

I know right... Normally I'm right there with you being one of those guys.

I'd find a road to make sure you can seat them in properly. If you still have the issue then maybe go back to OEM. I don't put a lot of miles on any of my vehicles. I find that if any of them sit for a couple weeks, (OEM or not). The first couple stops they all squeak.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #8
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I know right... Normally I'm right there with you being one of those guys.

I'd find a road to make sure you can seat them in properly. If you still have the issue then maybe go back to OEM. I don't put a lot of miles on any of my vehicles. I find that if any of them sit for a couple weeks, (OEM or not). The first couple stops they all squeak.
I figure I would give it 2 weeks, driving to and from work is about 60 miles / day

See if they get any better before I roll back to the Chevy dealer and tell them to fix
Old 08-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #9
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I had them and the front rotors warpped so bad it would rattle your molars out of your skull duriing hard stops. Went back to solid rotors front and rear and just live with the brake dust issue So you are not alone young man
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
I had them and the front rotors warpped so bad it would rattle your molars out of your skull duriing hard stops. Went back to solid rotors front and rear and just live with the brake dust issue So you are not alone young man
Interesting. I had the same issue with the OEM rotors. That is why I replaced the rotors and pads when I did. I decided to try the powerstop. If they don't work out, they don't, but so far so good.

You can warp the OEM rotors too.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
dmcmahan60

jamala00, I know this also but I went with the PowerStop Track Days kit front and rear setup. Lots of dust but they brake very well Sometimes it is hit or miss on brake rotors for some people. It is just part of it.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
FlukeSS

Quote:
jamala00, I know this also but I went with the PowerStop Track Days kit front and rear setup. Lots of dust but they brake very well Sometimes it is hit or miss on brake rotors for some people. It is just part of it.
Could I get the rotors swapped with where I bought them from if that is the case?

I just called the dealership to see if they can do anything but if not, if I have to swap the rotors I will.

Edit: Called Powerstop, they said most of the time its related to not enough brake lube, or break-in procedure, but the brakes should not be squeaking or squealing. Going to take it back to the Dealer and make them do both. "My mechanic" someone I trust, says also dirty rotors can cause that as well if they didn't clean them when they installed them. I dunno.

Either way I won't be paying for the dealer to fix the brakes, I already gave them $400, next call I have to make is to the FTC & Attorney General's Office, if the dealer doesn't fix the issue. Assuming nothing is wrong with the rotors initially.

Last edited by FlukeSS; 08-01-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
jamala00

Quote:
Ahh. Gotcha... Ya, if these PowerStops fail, start to squeal, squeak, warp rotors, etc... I'll go back to OEM rotors and pads. But... for now, so far so good.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:52 PM   #14
dmcmahan60

If they do not stop making noise then go back to OEM but that is not going to be cheap:( Good luck with you endeavour and let us know what happens