Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-14-2022, 08:18 AM   #29
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
It's exactly the same anxiety regardless of car.

Assuming Camaro makes it to 2 seat EV form, that characteristic won't be an issue due to the frunk, haha.

Yeah, but a low volume sports car is probably the last thing any manufacturer is going to worry about for range anxiety. GM is going to look and see that many Camaro owners have this car as a weekend toy, and say "why do they care about the car getting 300+ miles of range?"

Anyone who commutes with this car (or any electric car) should be working on adding a charging station to their home anyway.

Good point about the frunk! If an electric Camaro happens, and GM decides to keep the long hood styling (to accommodate the 'imaginary' V8), then that could end up being a decent sized frunk.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #30
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Yeah, but a low volume sports car is probably the last thing any manufacturer is going to worry about for range anxiety. GM is going to look and see that many Camaro owners have this car as a weekend toy, and say "why do they care about the car getting 300+ miles of range?"

Anyone who commutes with this car (or any electric car) should be working on adding a charging station to their home anyway.

Good point about the frunk! If an electric Camaro happens, and GM decides to keep the long hood styling (to accommodate the 'imaginary' V8), then that could end up being a decent sized frunk.
GM no longer cares what Camaro owners think. That's the issue. Is there room in the Bowling Green hotel parking lots for all the trucks/trailers used to bring everyone's EV Camaro to Camarofest?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #31
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
as long as its a 2 door coupe and reasonably priced.i have no hang ups about long hood/short deck either.just make it something sexy that hasnt been done by every carmaker since the 70s.could make it look kind of like a C8 and go from there and it wouldnt hurt my feelings.you wouldnt need a huge cooling openings with no radiator either.somewhere a bright young designer is probably working on it now...but maybe not for GM
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Any Camaro EV would not be a reason to say I would want a Camaro.

EVs are all totally different vehicles and the Camaro name on anything would be meaningless.

So no, I would not buy an EV Camaro for the same reason I would not buy any EV.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #33
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
GM no longer cares what Camaro owners think. That's the issue. Is there room in the Bowling Green hotel parking lots for all the trucks/trailers used to bring everyone's EV Camaro to Camarofest?

There are no charging stations along people's routes to Camarofest?

I get that its not as convenient because there are way more gas stations. But people are acting like only 5 cities in the US have a single charging station.

Frankly I don't believe GM, or any manufacturer, would put Camarofest (or a similar event) at the top of the list for "we need 300+ mile range for our low volume sports car."
Old 07-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #34
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
I still think it's kinda weird so many people here are concerned about EV infrastructure for an electric Camaro. For many of you, this is a weekend/toy car. Are you really driving it 300+ miles on a single weekend? It's your vacation car too?

If anything, people driving SUVs, mid sized sedans, and Minivans should have the EV range anxiety, since those are the vehciles that are realistically driven long distance for the majority of the population--not an (effectively) 2 seat pony car with a shitty trunk opening/capacity.

If you really drive long distances in your Camaro, I'd be VERY surprised if there are no charging stations in place already along your route.
The Camaro i'm ordering will be my daily. I drive 20k-30k miles a year (reimbursed for work). My clients (i design hospitals throughout the midwest) do not have any charging infrastructure in place so range has to be capable of round-trip. I already have a long day when I visit jobsites (4 to 6 hours of driving round-trip + time on site) that finding another place to charge is a no-go. Eventually, when all of my clients have adequate charging stations, I'm happy to take advantage.

I totally get your point, but i'm not sure an EV "sport car" would be a weekend vehicle. People don't buy a Tesla S and let it sit just because it's sporty. People drive it daily. Most EVs are faster than a V8 anymore anyway, so what is "sporty"? Maybe sporty is now just handling and not acceleration?

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .3000: 6/29/22
TPW : 8/15/22 . . . . . . 3800: 8/16/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22
ETA : 9/13/22. . . . . . . 5000: 9/08/22 . . . . . .6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ December 2023
Total MPG Average: 23.2 @ 34mph average over 20k+ mi.
Best MPG: 30.5 @ 51mph average over 220 mi.

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #35
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
The Camaro i'm ordering will be my daily. I drive 20k-30k miles a year (reimbursed for work). My clients (i design hospitals throughout the midwest) do not have any charging infrastructure in place so range has to be capable of round-trip. I already have a long day when I visit jobsites (4 to 6 hours of driving round-trip + time on site) that finding another place to charge is a no-go. Eventually, when all of my clients have adequate charging stations, I'm happy to take advantage.

I totally get your point, but i'm not sure an EV "sport car" would be a weekend vehicle. People don't buy a Tesla S and let it sit just because it's sporty. People drive it daily. Most EVs are faster than a V8 anymore anyway, so what is "sporty"? Maybe sporty is now just handling and not acceleration?

Your situation is an outlier though. Most people don't even put 20K miles on their normal commuter car per year. 20K to 30K miles on a premium fuel V8 Camaro is a lot of miles and a lot of $$$. Sound like you can handle it so that's awesome! It's just not normal, especially for a Camaro.

You have the option of charging your EV at home though, so do you absolutely need all of your clients to have a charging station?

For the sporty stuff, I'd argue that its all encompassing. Not just power/acceleration but handling, and braking too. The Plaid S is just a one trick pony on the acceleration front. Otherwise its terrible as a sporty/sports car.

I'm sure most people will say that the 1LE package makes a SS Camaro more sporty. But the 1LE package has no power upgrades over a normal SS.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #36
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
If its a hybrid AWD 650+ hp for less than $50,000... yes please

If not FU GM!
Why FU to GM? They aren’t giving you a 650 HP AWD car today for under $50,000
Old 07-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #37
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Well the good news is ICE isn't going away in pickup trucks anytime soon after a third party test was done comparing a gas and an EV towing the same weights in the Denver area and the range on that failed miserably compared to the Gas truck. Reason I am saying this is because if they do come out with an EV Camaro I am sure there will be a company or someone who will take a truck V8 and stuff it in a Camaro to bring back the V8 Camaro.

Sorry back on topic. It would be very weird not having the V8 under the hood of a Camaro. Four door is out no way.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #38
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
I still think it's kinda weird so many people here are concerned about EV infrastructure for an electric Camaro. For many of you, this is a weekend/toy car. Are you really driving it 300+ miles on a single weekend? It's your vacation car too?

If anything, people driving SUVs, mid sized sedans, and Minivans should have the EV range anxiety, since those are the vehciles that are realistically driven long distance for the majority of the population--not an (effectively) 2 seat pony car with a shitty trunk opening/capacity.

If you really drive long distances in your Camaro, I'd be VERY surprised if there are no charging stations in place already along your route.
It's not unusual for me to do a 200+ mile weekend trip in my Camaro and no there are not many charging options on most of the routes I'm driving as most of them are highway miles not Interstate. Even if there were charging stations who wants to spend hours charging up vs a couple of minutes to fill the tank?
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #39
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
There is something missing without a V8 engine rumble, pop and gurgle.

No, I would not buy and electric Camaro.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #40
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
The car would lose too many of it's positive attributes, especially while driving at a normal rate of speed. Aside from looks what will separate an EV muscle car from a Model 3? It would then be harder to justify the smaller back seat, reduced storage etc. in the name of looks. I think the EV's bread and butter will be in the luxury segment.

I like that my car shakes, makes real noise and has a manual gearbox. I can't imagine what an electric Camaro would offer that would make me want to switch. The instant torque would be cool but if going from 0-dangerous is the only way I would enjoy my car I wouldn't buy it. My Camaro is also my daily driver.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #41
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I honestly didn't think I'd ever buy another Camaro, let alone a front-engine, RWD, manual transmission vehicle. After having this car for a little while, I think I should have followed my instincts and not purchased it. However, there is something inherently wrong about killing this car and reinventing it as an EV. I'm all for an electric fleet but, I think that they should just come up with entirely new nameplates and allow the current ones to end. It would signal a proper transition into their EV offerings, rather than potentially butcher what we've all come to know and love.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #42
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Yeah, I'd buy an electric Camaro if it was much quicker than my '22 SS, stayed 2 doors, and didn't look like a little SUV like they did to that poor Mustang EV.

I have gone through 3 or 4 rounds of hating the new Camaro styling until I loved it and bought one each time. to 3rd gen from second, to original 4th gen, then a fishfaced late 4th, skipped the 5th, and into the 6th now. If there is a 7th, I will hate it for a while, then want one, then love it. I know myself.

4 doors would be a deal breaker for sure.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote