Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Why does everyone have to be all or nothing? If an electric vehicle suits my needs, and I like it, I would buy. Its not political for me.

I’d like a Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Seems like the perfect electric vehicle for me.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #16
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
The real question is: If GM builds an electric Camaro will they actually market and promote it?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
They need to drop the name if they aren't making a 2-door performance coupe.

I have no problem with the idea of EV, when the infrastructure is ready, and employers have adequate charging stations. I would have preferred a PHEV interim period while infrastructure is getting built, but those offerings are pretty terrible. Sadly, a PHEV Camaro Coupe would likely only come in a 2.0T engine with 500+ extra pounds of weight with 20 miles of electric range - just like everything else.

I actually considered the Honda Clarity as a replacement to my Accord, but it just had a 1.5L 4cyl (no turbo) and only 35 miles of EV range. Stupid. If the new Accord was a PHEV with the 2.0T engine paired with an electric motor for ~350HP combined and 60-80 miles of range I'd likely have an order for that instead of the 1SS. I also considered the RAV 4 Prime and the Hyundai SanteFe PHEV since they came closer to meeting my needs... but they are just lame to look at and I wouldn't be excited about them, I'd probably just be "blah".

To me, that's what a Sport PHEV should be: a ~300Hp engine paired with electric motors and sufficient batteries for 100 miles of electric range (when hyper-mile driving) for under $40k. Then you can retain the look, retain the freedom of range, save gas when in town, and transition properly.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-suv-vehicles/
This list shows how pitiful the range is for PHEV.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #18
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Probably not as an EV. Doesn't seem right to me EVs are fine in cars like a Corolla or Civic but don't feel right in a Camaro. Also I don't want the Camaro on the name of a four door since that also doesn't do well with me.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #19
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Nope. Nothing against the idea in general, but I am a Camaro customer because its the best manual V8 being made in my price range. Without a V8 or a manual, I am not a Camaro customer. Same reason I am not a C8 customer.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #20
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Absolutely
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #21
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I would absolutely buy an electric Camaro, so long as it's a 2 door and reasonably priced. I have no doubt GM's chassis engineers will make it a good handling car, despite the extra weight of batteries. I'd hope they return to a liftback design like the 3rd and 4th gen, so that the trunk opening isn't a joke. Sorry convertible lovers.

I also hope they give it a couple inches more backseat room to make it more of a usable coupe. It doesn't have to be anything drastic. Just make it on par with a small sedan like Cadillac CT-4.

Hopefully GM can keep the same recipe that has served most pony/muscle cars: speed at an affordable price. The V8 Camaro punches way above it's weight when it comes to price per dollar. I'd expect the same to be true with an electric Camaro. Yeah, a Tesla Model S Plaid may smoke an electric Camaro in a straight line, but the electric Camaro shouldn't be costing $130K either.

I also hope they derive styling from the 3rd gen Camaro, but that's just me being an 80s kid.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #22
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Would I buy the Sketch Monkey Camaro?

Nope, I wouldn't buy the 4-door Sketch Monkey Camaro. However, if the Sketch Monkey car was a Malibu, I would consider it. Would want AWD @ price of about $30k for that car.

Would lease only. Not interested in purchasing any electric car. The technology, reliability, and infrastructure are too limited to warrant purchase.
Attached Images

LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #23
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Maybe if it had nascar exhaust drawn on rear bumper. lol
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #24
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
I’ll get an EV in 10 years but it will not be a Camaro. I’ll have my toy and then I’ll have the daily that will slowly suck the life out of me.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #25
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I still think it's kinda weird so many people here are concerned about EV infrastructure for an electric Camaro. For many of you, this is a weekend/toy car. Are you really driving it 300+ miles on a single weekend? It's your vacation car too?

If anything, people driving SUVs, mid sized sedans, and Minivans should have the EV range anxiety, since those are the vehciles that are realistically driven long distance for the majority of the population--not an (effectively) 2 seat pony car with a shitty trunk opening/capacity.

If you really drive long distances in your Camaro, I'd be VERY surprised if there are no charging stations in place already along your route.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #26
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Would I buy it? Maybe, but not for the same intention and purposes as our current cars. If the price, range and recharge times were right, then like any EV.. sure… but most likely that’s not going to be the case. That’s what really ticking me off about EV’s. They are not direct replacements of ICE vehicles in terms of functionality… They’re only good if you have a home charger but they are not great for long distance drives (which I take plenty of). If that were to change, sure… as they are now? No.

China’s NiO largely has us outclassed in practicality and affordability in terms of EV’s. We could definitely use to learn a thing or two from them. Especially in the realm of battery swapping technology.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #27
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
I’ll get an EV in 10 years but it will not be a Camaro. I’ll have my toy and then I’ll have the daily that will slowly suck the life out of me.
I had a carrola 20 or so years ago. Luckily I sold it. I was about to go on antidepressants.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:10 PM   #28
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I still think it's kinda weird so many people here are concerned about EV infrastructure for an electric Camaro. . If anything, people driving SUVs, mid sized sedans, and Minivans should have the EV range anxiety, since those are the vehicles that are realistically driven long distance for the majority of the population. .
It's exactly the same anxiety regardless of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
. . 2 seat pony car with a shitty trunk opening/capacity. .
Assuming Camaro makes it to 2 seat EV form, that characteristic won't be an issue due to the frunk, haha.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote