#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #29
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Yeah, it sounded like he was well shy of the 6600 rev limiter. The scoreboard shows that his highest RPM was 5950. They didn't even sound that high to me but that could be just how it's rendered in the video.

It's hard to read those curves too but torque should jump to max almost immediately, somewhere around 3k RPM. I can't tell what type of dyno they're using but it doesn't look like any that I've looked at so far - certainly not a DynoJet.

I've updated my summary with your mileage.

Thanks for the feedback.

--Cal
I stand corrected, just checked and it is a Dynocom.

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #30
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
HaHaHa! Yeah, it's a little deflating but I'm sure wnta1ss Okay, I haven't heard anyone else say that but I'll take your word on it. This guy did a total of 6 runs, some closer to 2000 and some near 3000. All but the first were in this same range. The first run was thrown out due to wheel spin. Apparently the light rear-end and high initial torque was too much. For the remaining runs they used a high-traction spray on the tires and had one of the heavier guys sit in the trunk opening.

--Cal
It's just something I've noticed, an observation. The closer to peak tq the dyno run starts at, the higher the rwtq seems to reads. But it seems to smooth out as the rpms climb, with not much difference in rwhp at the end of the run. I used to collect MANY various dyno run postings and overlay them as reference, but I lost a butt load of data when my old computer crashed.

I'm surprised the dyno had issues keeping the car planted. I've had friends with '03 Cobras making +600 rwtq without issues on the dyno.

Also, just another variable, even how tightly the car gets strapped down effects the reading on the dyno.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #31
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
It's just something I've noticed, an observation. The closer to peak tq the dyno run starts at, the higher the rwtq seems to reads. But it seems to smooth out as the rpms climb, with not much difference in rwhp at the end of the run. I used to collect MANY various dyno run postings and overlay them as reference, but I lost a butt load of data when my old computer crashed.

I'm surprised the dyno had issues keeping the car planted. I've had friends with '03 Cobras making +600 rwtq without issues on the dyno.

Also, just another variable, even how tightly the car gets strapped down effects the reading on the dyno.
I attributed the wheel spin to the Camaro's light rear-end, near-instantaneous torque, and relatively hard tires. The '03 Cobra is about the same overall weight and body style seems similar in terms of weight distribution. Both the Cobra and ZL1 have roots-type superchargers so I'd assume it has a similar torque curve. Seems to me the weak link is the tires. I volunteered to heat them up in the parking lot to prevent wheel spin but they felt like their spray-on traction formula would do the job. No big deal... after spinning them on the first run and putting a big guy in the trunk, the remaining runs were fine.

Sure wish other ZL1 owners would post their stock dyno runs. Maybe it's just too early with the bulk of 2017 ZL1s being build 1st half of this year. Most of the other pulls I've seen had only a few hundred miles on them. I got mine last week of December and had about 2200 miles on this dyno pull.
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #32
Rik

Mine is going back for another run on Friday night (mustang dyno). Its only done about 1000 miles so far

Last edited by Rik; 05-11-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #33
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Mine is going back for another run on Friday night (mustang dyno). Its only done about 1000 miles so far
You may want to wait a while longer if you want a good, representative baseline. If you haven't been loading up the motor much the rings may not have fully seated yet. If you follow the GM recommended break-in this may not occur until after your 1500 mile period when you've taken it to the track a few times and/or had a few dyno pulls.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #34
Rik

Quote:
You may want to wait a while longer if you want a good, representative baseline. If you haven't been loading up the motor much the rings may not have fully seated yet. If you follow the GM recommended break-in this may not occur until after your 1500 mile period when you've taken it to the track a few times and/or had a few dyno pulls.
I took her out for a long run yesterday and she's at just over 1400 miles and has had her first oil change while she was out to. Will be on the rollers at about 8pm tonight (it's free after all) and see what she will put out
Old 05-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
Rik

As an update my Z made 500 bhp and 499.2 lbs on the mustang dyno of which we can all agree puts out around 15/18% less than a dynojet so to save me going to find one the conversion to match everyone else's dynojet readings it works out to 570 bhp and 528 lbs
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #36
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
I think I'll stick with the 12 to 15% drivetrain loss theory. So, with that said 570 is within reason. My guess would be the manuals are closer to 12% and the autos 15%. If your dyno results are close to these estimates your most likely in line with what would be expected, not 100% accurate but a fair baseline.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #37
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
As an update my Z made 500 bhp and 499.2 lbs on the mustang dyno of which we can all agree puts out around 15/18% less than a dynojet so to save me going to find one the conversion to match everyone else's dynojet readings it works out to 570 bhp and 528 lbs
Did you get a print-out or screen shot that shows correction factors and smoothing, or maybe you jotted them down? I assume the Mustang dyno also has these parameters.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #38
Rik

Quote:
Did you get a print-out or screen shot that shows correction factors and smoothing, or maybe you jotted them down? I assume the Mustang dyno also has these parameters.
Yes I have the graph but I don't know how to post pictures on here
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #39
Rik

[IMG][/IMG]

Think I've figured it out ?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #40
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Yes I have the graph but I don't know how to post pictures on here
I was just wondering about the CF and smoothing factors. If you could get them off your printout and post them I can add them to the running tally table.

I've added a table to the end of my original post to keep a running tally of dyno results. I'm going to updated it whenever I learn of a new dyno run for the M6 or A10.

If you still want to insert an image, here's how:

Forum photos fit better on the page if they're no larger than 1024 pixels wide. I usually resize mine before uploading.

Go to "Advanced" editor. Then scroll down to click the [Manage Attachments] button.
When the attachment manager dialog opens, click one of the [Browse...] buttons.
Navigate to wherever your scan or photo image is stored and select it. Then click [Open]
Now you can click the [Upload] button and close the attachment manager.
Click inside your message where you want the image to appear.
At the top of the advanced editor you'll see a paper-clip icon.
Click the paper-clip and select the image name to insert.
You'll see something like this in the editor:
[ATTACH]872053[/ATTACH]

If you click the [Preview Post] button you'll see what your message looks like with the photo.
If you click [Submit Reply] it'll be posted.

--Cal
Old 05-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #41
Rik

Quote:
I was just wondering about the CF and smoothing factors. If you could get them off your printout and post them I can add them to the running tally table.

I've added a table to the end of my original post to keep a running tally of dyno results. I'm going to updated it whenever I learn of a new dyno run for the M6 or A10.

If you still want to insert an image, here's how:

Forum photos fit better on the page if they're no larger than 1024 pixels wide. I usually resize mine before uploading.

Go to "Advanced" editor. Then scroll down to click the [Manage Attachments] button.
When the attachment manager dialog opens, click one of the [Browse...] buttons.
Navigate to wherever your scan or photo image is stored and select it. Then click [Open]
Now you can click the [Upload] button and close the attachment manager.
Click inside your message where you want the image to appear.
At the top of the advanced editor you'll see a paper-clip icon.
Click the paper-clip and select the image name to insert.
You'll see something like this in the editor:
Attachment 872053

If you click the [Preview Post] button you'll see what your message looks like with the photo.
If you click [Submit Reply] it'll be posted.

--Cal
Did my picture of the dyno sheet not appear ? It's on my feed
Old 05-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #42
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
we can see it....