Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Thinking of nitrous

So I'm toying with the idea of buying a kit. NX seems the way to go with a wet kit, but I'm really concerned about timing retard. I don't want to get tune as of yet (car is otherwise stock). Lingenfelter sells the LNC-2014 which is a timing retard box apparently. But it's also the first experience with the Lingenfelter box. Has anyone gone this route yet? Anyone with a bit more experience that can chime in?

Thanks.
Cdflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
Cdflyer

And just like that.....the thought is gone. Turns out my highly trusted local speed shop has shot down the idea. While being very proficient at tuning and running nitrous (quickest sbe nitrous ls1 car), they've told me they will not allow me to run nitrous on the new car. My wife loves them for it, but hates the recommendation of the ProCharger setup instead. So eventually the car will get a ProCharger with full exhaust and their tune. Should be plenty for a street driven, no cage, M6 car that I can drive anywhere.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Tmcbigblue

Drives: 2016 1ss black 6m
Why didn't they like Nitrous use on lt1? Just wondering.
Tmcbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Cdflyer

It's more the fact of the brand new car with the warranty. Plus they know me well enough to know that I will switch jets around and potentially push beyond the limits of the hard parts. They like to
Make sure I don't cause myself unwanted cash outlay, in this case having to afford a new engine on a brand new car. Lol
Old 09-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey83

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Cant even talk them into a little bitty teeny weeny 100 shot?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Tmcbigblue

I wonder if our car can handle a 100 shot and still be safe? I've always been interested in it, but I've never messed with it. 100 would be as high as I would want to go.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
Cdflyer

Guys have done 150 without fail. My biggest issue comes with the manual Trans and spraying through the shift. Either way, boost is the best way to go, for me anyway.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
My biggest issue comes with the manual Trans and spraying through the shift.
Assuming the system has a full-throttle switch (mandatory in my opinion, yes I know someone who did not use one and blew an engine), then if you are lifting the throttle to shift, the nitrous should be off during that time. If you are powershifting, then yes, it would still be spraying in this scenario.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Cdflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Assuming the system has a full-throttle switch (mandatory in my opinion, yes I know someone who did not use one and blew an engine), then if you are lifting the throttle to shift, the nitrous should be off during that time. If you are powershifting, then yes, it would still be spraying in this scenario.
When drag racing I have found that if I don't lift and start my shift at about 6K, I got the best results.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Tmcbigblue

What about the tuning aspect of it? What would have to be done for a 100 shot? I think I read where you have to reduce timing. So that means your tune would be producing less power when not using the nitrous right? That's the main reason I wouldn't want to go that rout. I know I've seen timing controllers for sale. Would those work with our cars or are they for older cars with less sofisticated ecu? I guess what I would want is to not decrease my cars performance when not using the nitrous. Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
When drag racing I have found that if I don't lift and start my shift at about 6K, I got the best results.
I also used to powershift stick cars, but different people have different techniques, so I did not know what your method was.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
Cdflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcbigblue View Post
What about the tuning aspect of it? What would have to be done for a 100 shot? I think I read where you have to reduce timing. So that means your tune would be producing less power when not using the nitrous right? That's the main reason I wouldn't want to go that rout. I know I've seen timing controllers for sale. Would those work with our cars or are they for older cars with less sofisticated ecu? I guess what I would want is to not decrease my cars performance when not using the nitrous. Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as I can.
Lingenfelter makes a timing retard box that also can act as a 2-step. Otherwise, you need to donut in the tune. I'm not a fan of tuning the car currently. Most because of the flash counter in the PCM. I've also heard that the Lingenfelter box leaves some to be desired. No specifics, but that it's better to do it in the tune. Lol.