#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
A little ZL1 history

Found this on YouTube on the history of the ZL1 … I think the 69 Camaro has to be the dream car for us Camaro enthusiasts.

https://youtu.be/5lelx4jma_k
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yep I remember them when they came out in 1969 and wish I had one!
Old 07-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I know I'm not your typical car enthusiast but, the only way I'd ever take an older Camaro, is if it were a resto-mod. If folks want to keep it a pure vehicle, keep it away from me. Lol. 110% I will make it a resto-mod. Really, that's the way I feel about classics in general. I like them to a limited degree but, if it were in my hands, absolutely no way would I keep it original.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I know I'm not your typical car enthusiast but, the only way I'd ever take an older Camaro, is if it were a resto-mod. If folks want to keep it a pure vehicle, keep it away from me. Lol. 110% I will make it a resto-mod. Really, that's the way I feel about classics in general. I like them to a limited degree but, if it were in my hands, absolutely no way would I keep it original.
+1

All that stuff drove like garbage compared to nowadays. I LOVE that era, too. But - to get anywhere near the power we have now, required literal race gas, and it was a PITA to start in the cold, and you'd have to lash the valves all the time. Purity is fine, but oil changes are as fun as they used to be for me, and as much as I'd like to pretend those cars were the bombdiggity - I'd be lying to myself.

The closest I'd get to touching one of those cars would be it would have to have EFI, probably would go mansmission, a full chassis/frame conversion (e.g. Roadster Shop-type), with power windows and AC. I probably wouldn't want my current power on account of traction, but after I pay for all of that, I'd end up paying what I have now. I could accept an argument that my car doesn't have the personality of an original/resto-mod, but I could swap tires and literally drive on most any paved road anytime of the year. It wouldn't be half the car I have now, but original ZL1s were not made for the street anyways.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
The reason some guy's stay orginal is because they were high school age when these cars cane out, there parents or them could not afford those cars. So they buy them to bring back memories and far fill those child hood wishes, I graduated in 1988 only a few rich kids had the camaro Iroc's or a 5.0 I would love to have a Iroc-Z even if it's really a low hp piece of history. Now my 72 chevelle is heading the protouring direction etc. I see kids all the time, and the 1st comment is your ZL1/1LE is my dream car. They will have it some day, maybe not mine, but someone's.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I agree with you guys line of thinking here. I would never own a vintage car unless it was a full resto mod vehicle that has been overhauled from top to bottom, that includes a full replacement of the engine/ transmission combo (LS/LT motor with an appropriate transmission mated to it) because the tech of yesteryear simply doesn't hold a candle to the capabilities of modern tech. It's just simple fact that today's modern chassis/ suspension/ and engine designs are done in such a way where when done correctly take the most advantage of the vehicles aerodynamic, speed, and durability capabilities.

Do I love seeing old schools with multiple barrel carbs, or cog style old school blowers with the flaps protruding above the hood? Hell yeah I do, but they are from a different era which require a special level of care that are not as end user friendly as modern day stuff.

This is all just my opinion, but I have messed with vintage stuff before and in my opinion it's a serious pain in the ass to deal with.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
The reason some guy's stay orginal is because they were high school age when these cars cane out, there parents or them could not afford those cars. So they buy them to bring back memories and far fill those child hood wishes, I graduated in 1988 only a few rich kids had the camaro Iroc's or a 5.0 I would love to have a Iroc-Z even if it's really a low hp piece of history. Now my 72 chevelle is heading the protouring direction etc. I see kids all the time, and the 1st comment is your ZL1/1LE is my dream car. They will have it some day, maybe not mine, but someone's.

Some of my older cousins had the 5.0s when I was growing up. My younger brother recently had one, took it to Germany with him and back (he's in the Air Force). He got rid of it because it was too much to try to maintain it as original.

I would totally go with a resto-mod if I got an older car. I like the body styles and that is about all. I would want all the modern mechanical goodies.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Here's some trivia for you guys, Did you know that ZL1 option was a corvette thing 1st ?
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
KSZLE

Drives: 2021 GT500 CFTP (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
Here's some trivia for you guys, Did you know that ZL1 option was a corvette thing 1st ?
two built. I would rather have an L-88.
KSZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah me too! Those L88 Corvettes were beasts!
Old 07-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #11
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
I'm there with you 99%. I tell people if I were to restore a classic car it would be a resto-mod - classic body/interior, modern powertrain. Something like the '66 Stingray with with an LT5 below. However, should I ever have the rare opportunity to afford and buy a 1969 Camaro ZL1, that car would absolutely stay as original as possible.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2022, 12:27 AM   #12
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
To each his own but I for one am SICK of the restomod fad. It was kinda cool at first but now that shit is getting old. Take a cool old car, throw in a modern performance engine, dress up the interior like an Italian leather sofa and then throw on some oversized ugly wheels with skinny rubber band tires. If I have an old car for a hobby toy I want it to still retain the cantankerous personality traits that made it so unique. It's very rewarding to trouble shoot and turn wrenches old school style. I have both old and new muscle and they all are extremely fun but in different ways. As to the aforementioned ZL1,probably one of THE COOLEST muscle cars ever built!
Old 07-28-2022, 07:06 AM   #13
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
I have owned a 67 and 69 Camaro and absolutely agree. I 100 percent know where the purist passion comes from because I had it years back to keep these cars original. I’ve had several classic cars over the years but I’m 100 percent done with them. I like cold air, comfortable seats, dependable, fast performance cars and todays modern cars have it all. I agree if I had a ton of extra cash I would get one that has all the modern amenities and that’s the only way.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:41 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
If I recall, ZL-1s had different heads, pistons, rods, cams, and were pretty much different engines than L88s. The exhaust ports were round on ZL-1s, the rods had bigger bolts, and some other details I don't quite recall. I have an old busted-up Hot Rod from when they were introduced that features ZL-1. It was a BEAST.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote