Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #85
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, the point of these things, I feel, is to be a deterrent.

It's probably not that hard to pick if someone really wants to screw up your car that bad. If anything, you are adding the risk of losing the key and inconveniencing yourself.

So I still don't get it... Siphoning supposedly doesn't work well with a capless fuel system, and I still think slashing a tire or keying your paint is a much more effective way to make someone's day miserable vs. going through the elaborate process of putting something in the gas.

I'm sorry to derail but someone, help me see the point of these things.
Is siphoning gas a huge issue in some areas? I've never had it happen to me and I don't know a single person it's ever happened too.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #86
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Is siphoning gas a huge issue in some areas? I've never had it happen to me and I don't know a single person it's ever happened too.
It's not that effective on our cars, anyway.

If I were a thief, why go for gas which is pretty much worthless compared to wheels(especially the ones on our cars) or catalytic converters?

Like you, I haven't ever heard of gas siphoning theft in recent times in North America, but wheel thefts and cat thefts are pretty common. Gee, I wonder why?

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #87
xandee

Drives: 2018 camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Let us know! It would be great if it fit!
just got mine today and fits perfectly. just make sure to push it down while locking it. you do have to break it in order to take it off without a key. only thing I noticed is that on the picture from amazon it says 58EL. the one I received was 57EL but it works fine.
Attached Images

xandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #88
mikec3104

Drives: 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, the point of these things, I feel, is to be a deterrent.

It's probably not that hard to pick if someone really wants to screw up your car that bad. If anything, you are adding the risk of losing the key and inconveniencing yourself.

So I still don't get it... Siphoning supposedly doesn't work well with a capless fuel system, and I still think slashing a tire or keying your paint is a much more effective way to make someone's day miserable vs. going through the elaborate process of putting something in the gas.

I'm sorry to derail but someone, help me see the point of these things.
Not an elaborate process at all to put sugar in someone's tank.
mikec3104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #89
shoe5163

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
This will not work on my 2017 2SS, there is no lip for it to grab.

Item model number ‎GT376 Manufacturer Part Number ‎84308352 OEM Part Number ‎84308352
shoe5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #90
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec3104 View Post
Not an elaborate process at all to put sugar in someone's tank.
But then why not just slash the tire or key the paint? Much easier and quicker IMO.

With our capless system, you need to prop both "gates" open to let something into the tank.

Again, never heard of any mass "sugar in gas tank" incident. I have only heard of mass tire slashing incidents.

Oh, just Googled, and sugar in the gas tank doesn't do that much damage. It doesn't dissolve in gasoline as it does in water, so you will just have a clogged fuel filter. Not great, but also not that catastrophic. Definitely a much slower payload than, again, a slashed tire or keyed paint.

Past:
Old 10-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #91
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
This will not work on my 2017 2SS, there is no lip for it to grab.

Item model number ‎GT376 Manufacturer Part Number ‎84308352 OEM Part Number ‎84308352
That’s exactly what mine reads on the packaging, but did not fit my 2016 SS. Did GM change the filler neck on later Camaros?
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #92
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Just got my GT376 I ordered from Amazon, works perfectly on my 2020 SS, I noticed if you rotated it to the position I have it at (arrow at about the 1:30 position in the picture) it fits much snugger than when the arrow is actually pointed up. It is a plastic cap and I'm sure if you really wanted to get it off, you could rip it off, but hopefully this would be somewhat of a deterrent...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #93
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post

Wait til gas gets to 6 or 7+ a gallon.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #94
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
That’s exactly what mine reads on the packaging, but did not fit my 2016 SS. Did GM change the filler neck on later Camaros?

Mine is a 17 SS. I will standby to order until I find out if something changed on the filler neck.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #95
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
I ordered one should be here wed. I will let you know if it works or not. The EL number refers to the key blank.

Mine also is a 17 SS, please let us know if it fits.
Thankshoe

Last edited by Nilly Welson; 10-07-2021 at 09:13 PM. Reason: o
Old 10-08-2021, 01:51 AM   #96
shoe5163

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
Mine is domed compared to 2SS Capts picks so it must have changed after 2017. Mine is like the 3rd one on this page.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...s-fuel-filler/
shoe5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #97
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
I got mine yesterday and … It fits!!!! I noticed as well that, once it’s on and secured, you can rotate it slightly to the left and right. But only from about the 10:30 to 1:30 marks. It actually gets tighter by doing so. But, once that key is locked, it’s on there!! Done and done

Thanks for letting us know the style/part number!!!!
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #98
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
Wait til gas gets to 6 or 7+ a gallon.
Which is still worthless compared to wheels and cats.

Wheels from our car probably at least go for $500 on Craigslist, probably way more. It's likely the same with cats. Even if gas is 7 dollars a gallon, that translates to 70 gallons per car. Well, you are not gonna get "more than a few gallons" out of a Camaro, let alone 70.

Wheel and cat thefts are also pretty quick nowadays. Your cats could be gone within 90 seconds. It would probably take the same amount of time to get some gas out of your gas tank.

And I don't understand the business model behind stolen gas. I can see sketchy junkyards taking cats and wheels and stolen wheels end up on Craigslist all the time, but who in the green world buys suspicious gas from some random dude?

Also, assuming someone really wants gas for whatever reason, at that gas price, they'd be motivated enough to start considering picking the lock. I would actually like to see someone like Lock Picking Lawyer to see how pick-proof these things are. I am willing to bet these don't have any security pins in it, though.

Edit: you don't even need to pick it. It's about as secure as a ignition lock on an old Honda from the 90s, LOL.

https://youtu.be/oIr5c6MsQSc

Past: