Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
LuciusAelius

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LT RS 2.0
Paddle Shifters vs full Automatic on the track?

I was wondering which would be better on the track, for my 2019 2.0T. Should I even bother using the paddle shifters (which have a rather delayed responsiveness) or just let the transmission shift on its own? Which is recommended for better lap times?
LuciusAelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
what are these paddle shifters you talk about? lol
Old 08-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Never use the paddle shifters. I put mine in track mode/race mode. Car shifts amazingly.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
I feel forced to use the paddle shifters, on my '16 SS it cannot make up its mind it seems unless I'm WOT. Going into turns it gets too squirly and tries to shift at the worst time.

Wonder if the modes the later model years my '16 does not have would make a difference.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
I only use paddle shifter on track or street. I can't get use to the auto shifting on the track. I feel like the down shift is not as fast as if I would downshift to slow down.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
Never use the paddle shifters. I put mine in track mode/race mode. Car shifts amazingly.
Sure does
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
He has a LT RS it does not have track mode. If I had an auto I would use the paddles so you can be in the proper gear once you set the car to accelerate out of the corner. Never drove an auto on the track but I would guess if you use maintenance throttle correctly the car should find the correct gear. I guess i would run some laps both ways a see how the car reacts coming out of the corners. I have never seen a post on how the LT 2.0 8 speed reacts on the track but maybe someone who has one can chime in.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
I always use the paddle shifters in my ZLE... when you have 750+ HP and a 200 Treadwear tire... upshifting a little early out of corners allows for the car to put the power down!

Best regards,
Dave
Old 08-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
at VIR in auto mode sometimes the car will downshift one more gear than necessary so I always use the paddles in manual mode. This mostly boils down to personal preference but I'm quite a bit faster in manual mode because some of the extra downshifts over slow the car. You can put down power sooner with the mountain of torque our LT4 has on tap. Experiment and see what works for you.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusAelius View Post
I was wondering which would be better on the track, for my 2019 2.0T. Should I even bother using the paddle shifters (which have a rather delayed responsiveness) or just let the transmission shift on its own? Which is recommended for better lap times?
Absolutely only use the A10 without the paddle shifting on the track. I don’t know anybody that uses the paddles on the track.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #11
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
Absolutely only use the A10 without the paddle shifting on the track. I don’t know anybody that uses the paddles on the track.
There are 2 guys above that do plus me so know you know of 3 guys. Paddle all the way.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #12
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
There are 2 guys above that do plus me so know you know of 3 guys. Paddle all the way.
Andy Pilgrim, Randy Probst, the pros that have driven this car all, to a person, do not use the paddles on the track.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #13
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
OP has a 2.0T, which uses the 8-speed auto, not 10-speed.

I haven't driven automatic Camaro's before, so can't say for sure. My advice is to just experiment around, see if the full auto mode does it for ya. If you want to just mess around or the auto mode doesn't work all that well, then use the paddles.

As for 10-speed, I have talked to a ZLE owner before and he basically told me that it's not bad, but it's no PDK. Maybe it's dependent on the track whether or not if you want to mess around with the paddles for the best time possible. Again, I don't see why you shouldn't just experiment around.

Either way, I am on my 6-speed stick, and I always use my "paddle shifters" to engage the ARM function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
I feel forced to use the paddle shifters, on my '16 SS it cannot make up its mind it seems unless I'm WOT. Going into turns it gets too squirly and tries to shift at the worst time.

Wonder if the modes the later model years my '16 does not have would make a difference.
The ZLE owner told me that the 10-speed can also do that from time to time, like shifting mid-corner. Just relaying the info I was told.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
He has a LT RS it does not have track mode. If I had an auto I would use the paddles so you can be in the proper gear once you set the car to accelerate out of the corner. Never drove an auto on the track but I would guess if you use maintenance throttle correctly the car should find the correct gear.
Without a track mode I have a feeling that the transmission would default to what would be an appropriate gear for cruising at whatever speed. And then downshift as you start adding throttle for corner exit.

Quote:
I guess i would run some laps both ways a see how the car reacts coming out of the corners. I have never seen a post on how the LT 2.0 8 speed reacts on the track but maybe someone who has one can chime in.
That's really the only way OP is going to find out whether using the paddles or leaving the transmission in auto is going to work best for him.

He'd be best off to pay attention to things like which approach works best for him and whether he can reliably get his paddle commands timed right - and forget all about any differences in lap times for the time being.

Norm

Tags
2.0 camaro, lap times, paddle shifters, track driving