Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 02-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #1
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Continental ExtremeContact Sports

Looking to get some info on the continental ECS tires. I am still new to autoX and the driver mod needs the biggest improvement still but it’s time for new tires. I daily my car and don’t have the funds for a new set of wheels and tires this year so that unfortunately isn’t an option. I know for daily driving the PS4S are the best of the best but I’d only be purchasing those if I can get them on sale at Costco.

With all that being said what is your experience with the Extreme contact sport tires by continental? I’ve tried doing some searches here and people just suggest them with no feedback or mention to just get the PS4S or the Indy 500s.

Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I used to daily them on my old 2011 Mustang and they were excellent. I liked them over the PSS, though I had those on a different car, so it wasn't apple to apples. By all accounts, the PS4S is a little better. The Contis are the autox rain tire of choice for many of the national drivers. I'm torn between getting those for daily so I can use them at wet autox or just get the DWS 06 for just daily since they last longer. I'm tired of buying two sets of tires every year.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I have the ECS on my car as daily tires.

I can tell you that I drove a stock Mustang GT PP1 with Michelin PS4S on it and than drove my SS 1LE with ECS directly after that at an autox last summer (same day, same track, with 2-runs on each car). Hot, summer day that was clear and no precip. I prefered the PS4S over the ECS for autox. The PS4S seems to get up to temp quicker and have a slight amount of grip over the ECS.

Now, I've had the ECS on track, and have been able to compare them to some old Hankook RS3 tires, but not directly to PS4S. I know the ECS handles heat fairly well on track and will also hold together quite well. From what I hear, the PS4S is able to put down a faster lap than the ECS, but will fall off and also does not seem to last as long on track as the ECS.

If you are wanting to do primarily autox, I would go PS4S over the ECS. Wet weather competency is fairly similar between the two but I think the ECS is better with standing water than the PS4S.

Edit: I've also ran the ECS on my previous 2016 SS, not just my 17 SS 1LE - My opinion stands.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I ran the ECS on a couple cars now and in the huge downpour at Solo Nats 2018. I like them a lot. They do, eventually, heat cycle out where the PS4S do not and are faster in both wet and dry. With experience with both, I put PS4S on my ZL1 with no regrets despite paying more.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote