Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
Stabilitrack Competitive Mode

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for putting out your experiences and knowledge. I've learned so much on this forum! I was reading through a thread a few days ago where a couple of you were talking about using the competitive mode out of Sport...double tapping or holding down the traction control off button. Ive been all through the Track modes but i didn't realize there was a difference. So i try this out in Sport...double tap...from a cold start a judt spun...i couldnt believe it...the throttle didnt cut out...no bogging...i just slammed the throttle and i damn near did a 180! It was like a burn out. I havent been able to loosen up the car like that in any way! The safety features always step in. I couldnt help wishing i was on a track with some drag radials!
I would have been flying! Does anyone use this technique at the track? And all you 6Ms out there...could this help your launch problems? I regularly get bogged off the line if i dont do a soft launch...so this was shocking! Pure unbridled power! Also and know this doesnt coubt cause its not a the track with proper timing..i ran an 11.1 by the in dash performance recorder in regular track mode with a soft launch. I know, i know...not the same. My question is do you all use the in dash and how do you feel about its accuracy? It seems to be consistent at least where the PDR is all over the place. Any way this has been my fastest time yet...stock...and i believe it is do to several of you suggesting to put the suspension in Tour. I was a huge skeptic on this until i really thought about it and realized that weight would shift towards the rear more if the suspension was loosened. Anywho...thank the lot of you for your input and advise!
Attached Images

Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Boo

I should have proofed that...sorry for the poor spelling and grammar.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
I should have proofed that...sorry for the poor spelling and grammar.
What grammar is? And who cares.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Glad I was able to turn you onto that feature. I’ll typically use that mode or a single tap “traction control off” mode on the street if I’m wanting to beat on it in a straight line. Both should let you spin the tires without limitation, but the Competitive Mode should let you get a little more squirrelly before it steps in.

I’m sure the various PTM modes are great on a road course, but I’ve found it quite restrictive from a dig. I’d much rather regulate wheel spin myself, and get all the power available. Well, all that the torque management calibration will allow.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Glad I was able to turn you onto that feature. I’ll typically use that mode or a single tap “traction control off” mode on the street if I’m wanting to beat on it in a straight line. Both should let you spin the tires without limitation, but the Competitive Mode should let you get a little more squirrelly before it steps in.

I’m sure the various PTM modes are great on a road course, but I’ve found it quite restrictive from a dig. I’d much rather regulate wheel spin myself, and get all the power available. Well, all that the torque management calibration will allow.
Yes sir it was you that made that post. Thank you. I was very surprised by the lack of interference. Cheers to you.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
Sport w TC off, yes this is how I set up to spin tires through water and to get some heat. I use this mode primarily because it is least intrusive from Torque Mgt. There is still a bog when you hook. Wish there wasn’t. Been testing all yr to figure out the problem which we all believe to be software related. I have personally tested many different launch RPMs, techniques and modes.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:20 AM   #7
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Old 12-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty45 View Post
Sport w TC off, yes this is how I set up to spin tires through water and to get some heat. I use this mode primarily because it is least intrusive from Torque Mgt. There is still a bog when you hook. Wish there wasn’t. Been testing all yr to figure out the problem which we all believe to be software related. I have personally tested many different launch RPMs, techniques and modes.
I see...i figured it would be perfect for straight line but sounds like gm has work to do.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty45 View Post
He was mainly referring to the “competitive mode” that you can only access in Sport (double tap of TC button), but I’m sure that’s the same as simple TC off from a power delivery standpoint. It seems many don’t know this mode exists.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
The high performance supplement states to use PTM Race for most consistent performance during drag strip use, however, I am not sure if that only pertains to using launch control.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
The high performance supplement states to use PTM Race for most consistent performance during drag strip use, however, I am not sure if that only pertains to using launch control.
Race mode is meant for the track not so much the drag strip. This competitive out of Sport is the least restrictive. I was just spinning my tires like a burn out. My thought was with drag radials you could reallly fly
Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I tried competitive mode again yesterday to see what difference it might make. It seems to do the exact same thing as turning everything off. I had already found that TC was completely off the first time I tried it, but I was curious about SC. I pulled out onto the road several times and nailed the gas while I had the wheel cut and it jumped completely sideways, forcing a lot of counter steer wheel lighting up the tires drifting, and never once cut power. So unless you have to pretty much wreck the car before SC steps in, it appears that everything is off, just like I run the car on the drag strip. It is much faster to double tap than hold for 10 seconds, but so far that's the only advantage I can see. I checked to see if launch control and line lock were available in that mode, but they weren't, so it wasn't put in there for drag racing, even though it should work well for that.

Line lock needs to be separated out to be used anytime someone wants. There should also be a separate drag mode with launch control in it, if you want to use it, but also have the option of launching manually with all of the other drag settings still on like the shocks, trans, and diff. I'd also like to see more drag related timers to be used on dash, in info center, and on PDR. We need 60', 1/8 times and speed, and 1/4 speed added, at the very least.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Race mode is meant for the track not so much the drag strip. This competitive out of Sport is the least restrictive. I was just spinning my tires like a burn out. My thought was with drag radials you could reallly fly
Yes, but GM's 2017 High Performance Supplement, page 27, specifically mentioned "drag strip use".
Old 12-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #14
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Yes, but GM's 2017 High Performance Supplement, page 27, specifically mentioned "drag strip use".
Ok i hear ya. Im a big proponent of Race but lately...in this cooler weather maybe. The throttle has been cutting out on me more. So in this Sport comp mode...no throttle cut. Like the previous poster...im fishn and spinn all over the place....fun! But i need more tire