Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
zain

Drives: ZL1
Going for Peelable Paint

I am planning to paint my ZL1 using peelable paint (From Plasti Dip). Trying to have a very unique color that gives this beast a new identity. I have tested many colors and found myself always going either green or grey. Time to make the final decision & your opinion is much appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by zain; 06-11-2020 at 03:57 PM.
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Second choice...����
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
DONATI_ZL1_1LE

Drives: CAMARO ZL1 1LE
That green is sick
Old 06-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I would never do it because I don’t like the way plastidip appears on large paint panels, it is never smooth enough for me, even with their glossifier. Plus the edges will peel within a year or two and the whole thing start to look worn.I would much rather use 3m 1080 wrap or any of the premium wraps available…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I would never do it because I don’t like the way plastidip appears on large paint panels, it is never smooth enough for me, even with their glossifier. Plus the edges will peel within a year or two and the whole thing start to look worn.I would much rather use 3m 1080 wrap or any of the premium wraps available…
I agree with glen. the only way I'd want any sort of peelable paint is if I plan on redoing it every year at the least.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
zain

Quote:
I would never do it because I don’t like the way plastidip appears on large paint panels, it is never smooth enough for me, even with their glossifier. Plus the edges will peel within a year or two and the whole thing start to look worn.I would much rather use 3m 1080 wrap or any of the premium wraps vailable…
It all depends on the brand your using and who does the job! Some shops tend to use less coats and cheap brands. Peelable paints (if done correclty) are less expensive, easy to remove and no parts will be removed from your car. Also you can have whatever color/finish you want. Good shops give up to 3 years (or more) warranty. I am sure I will peel it before that
Old 06-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
20Madman

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Green
20Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
No opinion on peelable paint... I like the darker green.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
zain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zain View Post
It all depends on the brand your using and who does the job! Some shops tend to use less coats and cheap brands. Peelable paints (if done correclty) are less expensive, easy to remove and no parts will be removed from your car. Also you can have whatever color/finish you want. Good shops give up to 3 years (or more) warranty. I am sure I will peel it before that
I forgot something very important, with wrapping they usually use blades to make certain cuts which can damage the paint, You will only discover that when you remove it
Old 06-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #10
zain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
Second choice...����
Old 06-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
zain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Madman View Post
Green
Old 06-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
I forgot something very important, with wrapping they usually use blades to make certain cuts which can damage the paint, You will only discover that when you remove it
this also depends on the shop. knifeless tape has come a long way, and a reputable shop won't use a knife against your paint. finding said shop, however, is another problem altogether.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
I’ve seen many done “the right way“, by some of the best painters in the business, and I still don’t like it… To each his own…Outta curiosity what are they going to charge you for this job?

And if you haven’t read much of my stuff here, I am a big plastidip fan. I use it on a lot of small parts, mirrors, Wheels. rocker panels, front parts of the grill etc. I just don’t like it on large panels.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
zain

Quote:
I’ve seen many done “the right way“, by some of the best painters in the business, and I still don’t like it… To each his own…Outta curiosity what are they going to charge you for this job?

And if you haven’t read much of my stuff here, I am a big plastidip fan. I use it on a lot of small parts, mirrors, Wheels. rocker panels, front parts of the grill etc. I just don’t like it on large panels.
Check out this link:

https://www.cardip.ae/gallery/

As for the charge, all depends on the color, finish and car size. I haven't got a quote yet, but I can get a good discount. Usually branded wraps might cost around $3k while with plastidip the cost can be around $1.2k

Last edited by zain; 06-12-2020 at 05:29 AM.