Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 AM   #1
SonicChris

Drives: 2011 RS
Ported and polished intake manifold

Am halfway done porting and polishing my intake manifold, from the entrance of the 80mm throttle body, the the full length of the runners on the inside, to the metal lower intake. The metal piece has been polished to a mirror finish, and has come from 3.9mm to just under 4.5mm. The plastic runners I also managed to polish up pretty well, they're nice and smooth again but noticably wider. I also posted pics of the metal piece just rotated, so you can see just how much meat I was able to get from both the runners inside and the metal itself. I also have the LLT engine, so my ports are O shaped rather than D shaped, which was much easier to work with. Still need to finish up the entrance, and then do the other half of the manifold but it's coming along pretty nice
Attached Images

SonicChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
SonicChris

The pictures look like the plastic and metal meet pretty unevenly, but they're actually matched up almost exactly. Just looks funky because the black plastic is reflecting off the mirror finish of the metal
Old 03-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
I had my intake and 80mm TB ported at Air Flow Solutions. Bret did a full porting; cut it open and ported all throughout. It made a hell of a difference. Throttle response is through the roof now. I love it.

If you don't have one, i'd recommend a spacer from MACE Engineering. They call them 'insulators.' I have the 25mm (1 inch) and with the porting done it gets a lot more air into the combustion chambers faster. I'm at, what i believe is the top of the ECM's learning curve with all the air going in without a tune. I also have the ACCEL Super Coils to give me more spark with all that air.

Great to see others upgrading their LFX too. Sometimes i think i'm the only one doing it.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
I had my intake and 80mm TB ported at Air Flow Solutions. Bret did a full porting; cut it open and ported all throughout. It made a hell of a difference. Throttle response is through the roof now. I love it.

If you don't have one, i'd recommend a spacer from MACE Engineering. They call them 'insulators.' I have the 25mm (1 inch) and with the porting done it gets a lot more air into the combustion chambers faster. I'm at, what i believe is the top of the ECM's learning curve with all the air going in without a tune. I also have the ACCEL Super Coils to give me more spark with all that air.

Great to see others upgrading their LFX too. Sometimes i think i'm the only one doing it.
I have the tune from overkill for my 80mm tb and port matched intake. It made a positive difference vs another tune w/o that taken into consideration. I’ve got the insulator as well.

Did the super coils make much difference?
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
SonicChris

I've done a ton of work, what do you mean by super coils though?

Last edited by SonicChris; 03-31-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:

Fortunately that isn't the case.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #7
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicChris View Post
I've done a ton of work, what do you mean by super coils though?
Ignition coils - stock were replaced with Accel Super [ignition] Coils. They provide a much better spark over stock. And, the only aftermarket company i found who makes one for the LFX.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #8
SonicChris

Quote:
Ignition coils - stock were replaced with Accel Super [ignition] Coils. They provide a much better spark over stock. And, the only aftermarket company i found who makes one for the LFX.
I didn't know there even was an aftermarket option. Did you do any voltage testing or anything to see if theres any improvement over stock?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicChris View Post
Am halfway done porting and polishing my intake manifold, from the entrance of the 80mm throttle body, the the full length of the runners on the inside, to the metal lower intake. The metal piece has been polished to a mirror finish, and has come from 3.9mm to just under 4.5mm. The plastic runners I also managed to polish up pretty well, they're nice and smooth again but noticably wider. I also posted pics of the metal piece just rotated, so you can see just how much meat I was able to get from both the runners inside and the metal itself. I also have the LLT engine, so my ports are O shaped rather than D shaped, which was much easier to work with. Still need to finish up the entrance, and then do the other half of the manifold but it's coming along pretty nice
Nice job in there!
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
SonicChris

Thanks, should go nice with my next project
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

This thread motivated me to pull my intake system apart and finally port my intake manifold to match my 80mm TB, since I had one from before the 80mm was an option. So thanks.

(Also, most people have a ton of issues with the Accel coils... you might get lucky if you try them, but the Delco ones are by no means bad)
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 04-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
p.s.

Drives: 2014 v6 manual
what exactly do people fill the oil gully in with? Maybe I'm paranoid but I worry that the oil will breakdown the epoxy eventually. I dont know if I want to justify $100 for the laminator piece. Maybe ill just port the first inch of the manifold to match the throttle body and clip the top turbulence part and leave the dip.
p.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

I forget what Jason uses for his ported LFX manifolds but it is fine and holds up to sanding as I have found out now. I've had one since they came out (6 years), no issues.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
SonicChris

I used the highest strength steel epoxy I could find, was only 10 bucks or so. 900psi tensile strength, heat resistant to I think 250, cleaned and degreased the manifold real good first. It isn't coming out anytime soon, trust me. Now if you used something weaker and not high temp resistant, you'd have issues

Tags
lfx manifold