Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-24-2024, 04:13 AM   #15
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
Here's a pic of the wires in the fuse box in the trunk. The wire you need is the ACCESSORY power which is a VIOLET wire. I put a red arrow pointing to that wire. You want to tap into this.
So do you have a pic of where you mounted the tracker itself and wiring route? I'm thinking of leaving it in bottom of trunk near fuse box. Maybe I'll get a label on it that says amplifier or fuse box to confuse anyone.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:38 PM   #16
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
There are a lot of good spots in and around the trunk - down by the fuse box, in the battery compartment, under the rear deck. The little tracker I use has a magnet on the back so it's really easy to stick just about anywhere.
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:44 PM   #17
ChibbMD

And regarding an always-on power source, are you not worried about the tracker draining power? It probably doesn't draw much, but I usually don't like to connect things to always-on power. Also, if it has to be powered all the time, it's not going to work if thieves disconnect the battery. That would be a major draw back for me.

A couple options for always on power - 1) Just wire to the battery. 2) I think the 12v cigarette lighter is always on. Someone else can verify this for me.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:06 AM   #18
Max_Burnside

Quote:
And regarding an always-on power source, are you not worried about the tracker draining power? It probably doesn't draw much, but I usually don't like to connect things to always-on power. Also, if it has to be powered all the time, it's not going to work if thieves disconnect the battery. That would be a major draw back for me.

A couple options for always on power - 1) Just wire to the battery. 2) I think the 12v cigarette lighter is always on. Someone else can verify this for me.
You're right about theives disconnecting battery. SO I decided to go with a battery powered device with wired in 12V socket to ignition power (when car is running only). I'm going to power it into the accessory wire in the fuse box as indicated in pic above and hide near fuse box in trunk. That way I don't have to keep charging it or forget to charge it every 2-4 weeks. It will cost a little more monthly is only drawback but only by $7 a month which is one cup of coffee.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:04 PM   #19
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
I too have a gps tracker in my truck that I have to charge every week or so. I am going to wire this up, but where would be a good spot for the ground? I'm looking to use t-taps.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:39 PM   #20
ChibbMD

I tapped the ACCESSORY wire for power and just connected a wire to a screw into metal for the ground. Works perfectly.

To be even more specific, I took the red wire of the charging port and tapped it into the ACCESSORY wire. I took the black wire of the charging port and just grounded it to metal with a screw.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:53 AM   #21
havelegs

Quote:
I tapped the ACCESSORY wire for power and just connected a wire to a screw into metal for the ground. Works perfectly.

To be even more specific, I took the red wire of the charging port and tapped it into the ACCESSORY wire. I took the black wire of the charging port and just grounded it to metal with a screw.

Perfect! Thanks for explaining. Did you add an inline fuse on the red power wire of the charger?
Old 02-26-2024, 12:07 PM   #22
ChibbMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Perfect! Thanks for explaining. Did you add an inline fuse on the red power wire of the charger?
I did, just a 5A or 10A depending on the size of your wiring. I think that's always a good idea.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #23
havelegs

Quote:
I did, just a 5A or 10A depending on the size of your wiring. I think that's always a good idea.
Great, thank you! While browsing Amazon and looking at inline fuses I cam across this charge port with the fuse already in line, making it simple.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6S2SNM...roduct_details
Old 02-26-2024, 03:26 PM   #24
ChibbMD

The inline fuse is convenient, but I'm not a fan of the big circular port that has to be installed through a hole. I preferred a flat charging port that could be mounted flush with nothing but a small hole for the wires to pass through. Just my two cents.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #25
havelegs

Quote:
The inline fuse is convenient, but I'm not a fan of the big circular port that has to be installed through a hole. I preferred a flat charging port that could be mounted flush with nothing but a small hole for the wires to pass through. Just my two cents.
Yeah that makes sense. I'll see about swapping it
Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 PM   #26
havelegs

I was able to install mine today. Tapped into the wire you pointed out, grounded on the bolt that holds the fuse box in. Taped it up so it doesn't look like it was modified and hid them behind the trunk lining, then to my gps. Works nicely.

On a side note, I thought for sure I fried the trunk release some how. I was sitting in the car with it running, press the trunk button and nothing, got a bit freaked out, was able to open the trunk by going through the backseat. Checked all the connections, made sure the charger was still working, made sure no smoke or hot wires were present. With the car off it would open, how odd. Then, I did a quick search and found that the car has to be in park. Well, I have a manual and I must have forgotten to pull the parking brake this afternoon. Glad it was just that and no funny wiring issues.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:30 PM   #27
ChibbMD

Awesome. Glad it worked out well. This is a really nice alternative to an expensive tracking system.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:39 PM   #28
Max_Burnside

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
I was able to install mine today. Tapped into the wire you pointed out, grounded on the bolt that holds the fuse box in. Taped it up so it doesn't look like it was modified and hid them behind the trunk lining, then to my gps. Works nicely.

On a side note, I thought for sure I fried the trunk release some how. I was sitting in the car with it running, press the trunk button and nothing, got a bit freaked out, was able to open the trunk by going through the backseat. Checked all the connections, made sure the charger was still working, made sure no smoke or hot wires were present. With the car off it would open, how odd. Then, I did a quick search and found that the car has to be in park. Well, I have a manual and I must have forgotten to pull the parking brake this afternoon. Glad it was just that and no funny wiring issues.
I was wondering about how to drill and screw a ground in there then just a couple hours ago thought about actually looking to see if a screw was already there I could use. Glad to know yours worked out. Going to install tomorrow. Just got mine charged a couple hours ago. Thanks for confirming this option works.