Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #15
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I used basic 20-pound test fishing line. Broke a few times but there's like 8,000,000 feet of it, so no prob. Then goo gone.

My trick is using a nylon spatula from the kitchen drawer to help scrape off the goo. Helps to quicken the process.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I saw it was confirmed that there are no pins on the rear bow-tie (only adhesive) can someone confirm that that the rear SS badge on the rear bumper is the same thing, no pins, just adhesive?

I'm thinking about removing the rear bow-tie, putting a black vinyl trunk blackout kit on and then taking the SS badge from the rear bumper and putting it up near where the bow tie was and tossing the bow tie.

Any suggestions on what to use to stick the SS badge up onto the trunk, on top of the vinyl? I am guessing 3M double stick tape (with the foam pads) or is there a special adhesive that will work better like gorilla glue or something else since I won't be sticking to my paint, but to the black vinyl.

Similar to this only moving the SS badge up to where the bow-tie was (but offset to the right a little):

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2016-...-blackout.html
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I say this once a month here: none of the badges on the Camaro use pins-all tape. Except the front bow tie. Don't ever use glue to stick a badge back on. Use the same stuff that they put it on with: 3M VHB trim tape. Amazon or the auto parts store. Strip all the old stuff off, alcohol the whole surface and the car, and stick on new tape. Cut it to fit on the badge with a razor blade.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
Spedee

Drives: SS
I installed my taillights, smoked third brake light, smoked reflectors, removed the small red SS logo and Chevy Bowtie. Installed this large SS in the center.

Last edited by Spedee; 09-20-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Spedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
mrtoner

Drives: 2016 SS Nightfall Gray
Removed both the bowtie and the bumper SS with fishing line, then cleaned off remaining adhesive with 3M Adhesive Remover.

I first installed a plastic SS [like the one on the bumper], and that came apart the first time I took it through a car wash.

So I then installed a metal SS on the deck lid in place of the bowtie, and it is solid.

mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #20
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
Whats the best place to get the large SS that will work in the center of the trunklid?
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #21
Spedee

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
Whats the best place to get the large SS that will work in the center of the trunklid?
I bought mine from the GM dealer. $22 cdn.(15211285)
Originally on a HHR SS door location.
It has a pearl white decal that I removed with a hair dryer.
Very easy to come off. Now its all chrome. I am still on the fence whether I paint the center black.
Spedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #22
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Resurrecting this thread. I am removing the bowtie on my trunk next week, so if there is any other input or advice that would be greatly appreciated. I will use a fishing line (as there is no power outlet where I park the car) and Goo Gone Goo & Adhesive Remover Spray Gel (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001R4XH..._fVdQDbTMSPH1H)

I hope this will do the job.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #23
Big_D

Drives: '05 C6, '13 1LE, ‘17 2SS
3m eraser wheel to get the residual adhesive off... I’m surprised no one has suggested it already. They work great!

D
Big_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #24
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I pulled my side emblems off with 8 lb fishing line after softening the adhesive up with Goo Gone. Just tripled up the line going, as I'd lose a piece to breakage, they'd keep chugging along. Had to rewind a couple of times but it's doable. Too cheap to go buy more fishing line...
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #25
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
I did exactly the same. A really painful process though. Especially getting rid of the tape left behind.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #26
Big_D

Drives: '05 C6, '13 1LE, ‘17 2SS
I used a heat gun, a plastic scrapper, a 3m eraser wheel in a drill, some painters tape, alcohol and a micro fiber towel... took me about 10 mins to change out the rear emblem.

The car had just been washed the night before, so it was clean. I taped around the straight edges of the emblem with the painters tape to have a guide for putting the new one back on. Then I heated the emblem up until the scrapper would fit under the left edge. I continued to heat it while putting lifting pressure on it with the scrapper and it eventually just lifted right off. It left over half of the old tape on the car, but my 3m eraser wheel made quick work of removing it. A quick wipe with alcohol to clean everything up, and then on with the new black emblem from my glow tie kit.

The longest part of the process was waiting for it to get warm enough to lift off. My heat gun has adjustable heat and fan settings. I started at 200F because I didn’t want to damage the paint. It wasn’t budging after a few minutes of heating so I turned the gun up to 400F with the fan on 75% and it only took a minute or so to get it to lift off.

D
Big_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #27
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Update update, got my black bowties yesterday so tonight tried the hair dryer trick to the rear emblem and from what was posted earlier, almost zero effort. Popped it off with a small plastic pry bar and cleaned off the adhesive, total time about 5 minutes. The fishing line thing is back on the shelf here...
Old 02-10-2020, 12:50 AM   #28
Panther_spawn

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss
How do you find a large ss emblem for the rear or replacement for front bowties? All I can find are the small versions.
Panther_spawn is offline   Reply With Quote