Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 05-01-2024, 10:15 PM   #15
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Sounds like you have a crankcase ventilation issue, hence the excessive pressure and excessive oil collection in the catch can.

In your first photo, you're low on coolant. The top reservoir should be full. This could be a sign you're losing some into the cylinders.

Both things can be true. Excessive crankcase pressure can cause a head gasket failure, which would be where the coolant is coming from. And this could correlate with letting off the throttle.

The gas in your oil is from your rings not doing their job. Also, could be exacerbated by crankcase pressures, but it's also a known side effect of running a Turbo 4cyl these days. It's important to do more frequent oil changes if you're not driving long enough to burn the gas off. And it makes sense the catch can would have gas in it, if that's the case.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:44 AM   #16
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
Sounds like you have a crankcase ventilation issue, hence the excessive pressure and excessive oil collection in the catch can.
I agree.
Below is the description of PCV operation for the I4, taken from the repair manual. This system is more complex because of the turbo.

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION > CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM
DESCRIPTION > OPERATION
The primary control is through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve (2) which meters the flow
at a rate depending on intake manifold vacuum. The PCV valve is an integral part of the camshaft cover.
Fresh air is introduced to the engine through PVC (1) under normal operating conditions. If abnormal
operating conditions occur, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow by gases to back
flow through the crankcase vent valve (3) into the intake system to be consumed by normal combustion.
Only on turbocharged engines, there is a one way valve (2) in the camshaft cover in order to prevent the
crankcase from being pressurized by positive pressure in the intake manifold when the turbocharger is in
operation. When the turbocharger is operational, the pressure in the intake manifold can exceed
atmospheric pressure which, without the one way valve, would force oil and PCV gases out of the
camshaft cover and into the induction system, via the hose to the camshaft cover. This can cause
coking of the throttle body and induction system, and can reduce the efficiency of both combustion and
the intercooler system, in normal operation the PCV gases are drawn into the air stream post intercooler
(6). However, when the turbo is spooled up the turbo can become the vacuum source for the vent
system. PVC#4 controls the max. flow so the crankcase stays at a normal vacuum during normal
operating conditions.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:46 PM   #17
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Why 2 catch cans? My worry is oil somehow getting into the engine/intake (excessive pressure???) and making the white smoke. More like 1 of the lines is routed incorrectly.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:51 AM   #18
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Taking the oil cap off and the squealing stops is the key here.

You're pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase and its actually drawing air into the engine through the crank seal. That is the squeal you hear. Remove all of your catch cans and PCV system back to stock.

Don't put catch cans on STOCK cars.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:55 PM   #19
CMAR

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Taking the oil cap off and the squealing stops is the key here.

You're pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase and its actually drawing air into the engine through the crank seal. That is the squeal you hear. Remove all of your catch cans and PCV system back to stock.

Don't put catch cans on STOCK cars.
Thank you for the much needed advice. Originally i put the cans on to limit the amount of oil i was finding on the MAF and in the Turbo inlet. Unfortunately I guess I learned the hard way. I put the stock tubing on and removed the cans. so far so good.

again, I appreciate everyone's help, and time responding back.
CMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:01 PM   #20
CMAR

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I agree.
Below is the description of PCV operation for the I4, taken from the repair manual. This system is more complex because of the turbo.

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION > CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM
DESCRIPTION > OPERATION
The primary control is through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve (2) which meters the flow
at a rate depending on intake manifold vacuum. The PCV valve is an integral part of the camshaft cover.
Fresh air is introduced to the engine through PVC (1) under normal operating conditions. If abnormal
operating conditions occur, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow by gases to back
flow through the crankcase vent valve (3) into the intake system to be consumed by normal combustion.
Only on turbocharged engines, there is a one way valve (2) in the camshaft cover in order to prevent the
crankcase from being pressurized by positive pressure in the intake manifold when the turbocharger is in
operation. When the turbocharger is operational, the pressure in the intake manifold can exceed
atmospheric pressure which, without the one way valve, would force oil and PCV gases out of the
camshaft cover and into the induction system, via the hose to the camshaft cover. This can cause
coking of the throttle body and induction system, and can reduce the efficiency of both combustion and
the intercooler system, in normal operation the PCV gases are drawn into the air stream post intercooler
(6). However, when the turbo is spooled up the turbo can become the vacuum source for the vent
system. PVC#4 controls the max. flow so the crankcase stays at a normal vacuum during normal
operating conditions.
Thank you, That definitely helped a lot. I owe everyone here a round of beers. Next time before I jump off and do something stupid I'll just ask 1st.

Thanks,
CMAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, ltg, oil, smoke