Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #5503
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I think that the ZLE will be faster than the C8 Z51 the same way it beat the mid-engine Lotus in the review below, now granted the C8 is more powerful and the win would be by a smaller time, but you do get the idea.

The problem once again outlined in this review is what sacrifices are you willing to pay for the ZLE track performance, the reviewers once again get into how harsh the ride and manners are on the street, almost stating it really is too much.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/s...head/42026352/
Yes there have been a number of ZLE buyers disappointed by the ride and who sold thier ZLE. A number of them are sitting around. But if you do not track there is no point in buying the ZLE. The standard ZL1 is awesome on a race track and is an all day GT long distance cruiser. An iron fist in a velvet glove.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #5504
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes there have been a number of ZLE buyers disappointed by the ride and who sold thier ZLE. A number of them are sitting around. But if you do not track there is no point in buying the ZLE. The standard ZL1 is awesome on a race track and is an all day GT long distance cruiser. An iron fist in a velvet glove.
I've said it time and time again the standard ZL1-A10 is the star of the Camaro lineup it does everything well from street, strip, and track a well balanced fighter.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #5505
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
But if you do not track there is no point in buying the ZLE. The standard ZL1 is awesome on a race track and is an all day GT long distance cruiser. An iron fist in a velvet glove.
This.

I'd still like to see a track test between a ZL1 and ZLE, both on ZLE rubber... just to see the actual delta from the ZLE suspension.

Even in track mode, the ZL1 suspension is a little soft on R compounds, so I know there's going to be a difference, I'd just like to see it quantified.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #5506
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
This.

I'd still like to see a track test between a ZL1 and ZLE, both on ZLE rubber... just to see the actual delta from the ZLE suspension.

Even in track mode, the ZL1 suspension is a little soft on R compounds, so I know there's going to be a difference, I'd just like to see it quantified.
We've done it in AutoX but with PS4 tires since the R is illegal in the class I run.
Doing ride alongs in each others car I can definitely say there is a significant difference in how much more planted the ZLE is, especially when braking and way less roll too.

To the above comments about the longer road trips. The ZLE is perfectly fine and very comfortable on highways. I drove mine from Detroit to Houston and both the wife and I kept commenting on how nice it drove. We did it in two long days and never got worn out with seat comfort or ride due to decent highways. But yes, around town with rough roads and joints etc to cross it's brutal and I do not daily drive for this exact reason.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #5507
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
As much as I hear about the harsh ride of the ZLE I still would love to drive one and see for myself. I don't think it would bother me as a DD.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #5508
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Most who buy the 1le don’t use as a DD. I would bet most who buy a gt500 won’t be a DD
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #5509
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
ZL1 with automatic is 7,805 dollars cheaper than the base GT500.

Interesting to hear all this rumbling on straight line performance from the Mustang folks who kept on bringing up the price difference between Camaro SS and Mustang GT until 2018 Mustang came out and claiming those two were very close in performance.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #5510
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post

Interesting to hear all this rumbling on straight line performance from the Mustang folks who kept on bringing up the price difference between Camaro SS and Mustang GT until 2018 Mustang came out and claiming those two were very close in performance.
It’s also amusing that the Mustang folks claimed that a +0.5 sec 15/16/17 GT disadvantage in the 1/4 to be a drivers race. Now the GT* (0.1 sec) and GT500 (0.3 sec) are total domination.

Great times we live in. All these opinions available from the domestics. Still, after five Alpha model years- the SS, SS 1LE and ZL1 are still insane values for street, strip or track.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #5511
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
As much as I hear about the harsh ride of the ZLE I still would love to drive one and see for myself. I don't think it would bother me as a DD.
All depends on the roads you drive. Railroad tracks, speed bumps, bridge joints get old really fast. 6th gear is also pretty short so if you push 80 on the freeway like I do you'll want to hit 7th gear. But again I can't emphasize enough how nice the ride was down here from Detroit once you're outside of cities.

I drove one at CFest before I ordered mine and though it was pretty smooth. Now I have my hand on top of my coffee mug all the way to work if I drive it and need a towel to clean up with.

All worth while at the end of a great track day. I've never experienced a car so planted.

Quote:

That's nutz... I haven't paid enough attention to the Ford pricing. Toss a little ADM in there and look out.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #5512
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I've said it time and time again the standard ZL1-A10 is the star of the Camaro lineup it does everything well from street, strip, and track a well balanced fighter.
Agreed. BTW - when did you change your avatar? Just noticed. Looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
This.

I would love to see that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We've done it in AutoX but with PS4 tires since the R is illegal in the class I run.
Doing ride alongs in each others car I can definitely say there is a significant difference in how much more planted the ZLE is, especially when braking and way less roll too.

To the above comments about the longer road trips. The ZLE is perfectly fine and very comfortable on highways. I drove mine from Detroit to Houston and both the wife and I kept commenting on how nice it drove. We did it in two long days and never got worn out with seat comfort or ride due to decent highways. But yes, around town with rough roads and joints etc to cross it's brutal and I do not daily drive for this exact reason.
I was wondering when you might toss in on that discussion, knowing that you drove yours from Becky's warehouse back to Texas.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #5513
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I was wondering when you might toss in on that discussion, knowing that you drove yours from Becky's warehouse back to Texas.
I do have a trailer now but only so I don't have to pack and un-pack the Camaro going to the track and can haul everything to CFest each year.

Without hesitation I would jump in this car for a long road trip and feel great at the end of it... but jump in for my 37 mile commute to work in the morning not so much. I'm wore out by the time I get there. Just a completely different experience.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #5514
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:

And the zl1 is loaded on top of that. It gets well over $10,000 when you have option to option for both.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #5515
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
It's actually much worse when comparably equipped.

ZL1 with A10, CF hood, NAV and PDR (most popular combo) = $68,585

GT500 with handling pack, tech pack and Recaros = $80,090

Difference = $11,505

I don't think the GT500s Recaros are even heated/cooled... at least I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. And you can't get anything equivalent to PDR from Ford.

And... that doesn't take into account discounts on the ZL1 and gouging (ADM) on the GT500. The actual difference driving it out the door is probably around $25,000+ in the real world.

It may be a beast, but you certainly pay for the performance...

Last edited by Rodan; 12-22-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #5516
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Now's the time to do the ZL1/Es and wait for the GT500s to cool off. You've always got the option to trade in given the Democrats don't take over.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote