Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #5293
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreedYou View Post
Do you think the GT500 should even be compared against the vette though? they are totally different cars.

I mean they actually couldn't be more different, I would hope the GT500 couldn't beat the vette at anything since it's a 2 seater mid-engine sports car that is also lighter.
Very different, one is a max effort 760 hp sports car with 2 seats for the cftp and the other is a 495 hp entry version of a 2 seater sports car.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #5294
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Yes it is an absolute fail. I knew it was going to be fast but the BASE already running 10:60s at 133, and now track times faster than a mid engine Vette is pretty sweet. Not bad performance for 78k or so.
Slower than the ME Vette in 1/4 mile in the same conditions - Cool!

95K to beat the ME Vette in heaviest trim - even cooler with 265 more HP, better tires, and CF wheels!!

I'm simply amazed...
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #5295
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Yes it is an absolute fail. I knew it was going to be fast but the BASE already running 10:60s at 133, and now track times faster than a mid engine Vette is pretty sweet. Not bad performance for 78k or so.
Yea that car ran an 11.5 to the vettes 11.1.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #5296
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Oh shit, I forgot to click the "show all" thing. Thanks man!! LOL!!

A little odd that they used the 3LT Z51 which is the most expensive and heaviest version. And it had $12K in options added on. So yea, I guess the price IS comparable if you click off every option on the C8 list and no options on the CF GT500.

I'm just playing with you guys BTW!! Some of these newbies are a bit too sensitive.
Claiming they used the heaviest corvette will seem like nitpicking and an * to the guys that say the MT 11.5s and 11.3s aren't valid BeCauSe iT wAsNt A pRePpeD suFacE.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #5297
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Wow is all I got right now...
With a harder tio drive manual zle at that, the trans Ford was too chicken to include as an option on the gt500.

The gt500 is probably faster, Randy was probably being somewhat sensational on his statement as people tend to be in published articles.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #5298
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Yep we were right. Unprepped surface + better tires - weight = CFTP faster
I remember shaffe got on my case when I thought the CF would be faster. He said that all this time they all knew the Base would be faster in the quarter mile. LOL!!

Quote:
And as I'm about to agree again with Blaq below, they used just about the heaviest possible C8 for this test.

Exactly, they had to stack the deck in the Mustang's favor. Heaviest and most expensive C8 to make it slower and cost more than the base GT500 without the inevitable dealer markup that is!
It made no sense because the 3LT has a LOT of added unnecessary features that bring the cost up. A lot of it is cosmetic stuff. The upgraded seats add a pretty penny to the price and are not needed either. And those painted rims are an extra $2495!!! WTF??!! The 2LT should have been used since that one has everything the GT500s would have and nothing unnecessary. And I'm willing to bet the 1LT Z51 would have broke into the 10s if not an 11 flat. But still for a 3LT it performed admirably. And to know that you can add a whole lot of unnecessary things and still come in cheaper than a CF GT500 and ace it in the quarter mile says a lot.
Quote:
I'm beginning to think the car mags are just like the government. Do a bunch of crap to divide the sides and never actually produce what the people want. WE WANT A FREAKING SAME DAY, SAME RANDY POBST, ZLE A10 VS CFTP!!!! Same amount of fuel, same amount of laps, etc....
Based on these results I do think the ZLE would have outperformed both versions of the GT500. It should be able to at least match the C8 Z51 in cornering. And it would have made up some of that time in the straights. And there is no way to add enough options to bring it even close to what the 3LT Z51 costed. At best with similar options the ZLE would probably have been around $75K. So I think this was the best way to protect the 6 year too late GT500.
Quote:
Do you think the GT500 should even be compared against the vette though? they are totally different cars.

I mean they actually couldn't be more different, I would hope the GT500 couldn't beat the vette at anything since it's a 2 seater mid-engine sports car that is also lighter.
Historically the Vette has always been known to take on any challenger of any price range, any design, and with way more power...and the Vette has always done remarkably well. Regardless of who they pit it against it does well. A couple decades ago they tested a bunch of supercars with the Vette being the least powered and cheapest one in the group. And I believe it was the standard Vette at that. For shits and giggles they even threw a Calloway Vette in. The Vette placed in the middle of the group. It did that well. So the Vette can hold it's own. However as far as I am concerned the Vette is NOT the competition for the Mustang. Ford had to make a VERY expensive and VERY overpowered top trim Mustang just to be slower in the quarter mile and faster around a track than the 2nd lowest trim Vette. Which goes back to my statements before about what it takes to beat a very well built car. You really have to overpower the Vette to beat it. There is no other way.

But the Camaro should have been used. The ZL1 against the Base and the ZLE against the CF. The problem with that is the ZL1 is just too good and probably would have wiped the GT500 clean off the track. So they used a substitute and then fluffed it up with options. LOL!! If anything the Base C8 at $60K should be matched to the GT350 and the Z51 should be matched to the GT350R. But, I mean, we really don't need to do that. Haha!! They could have also tested the Z06 or GS. But this matchup here is the best they could do to keep the GT500 looking good.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #5299
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
I remember shaffe got on my case when I thought the CF would be faster. He said that all this time they all knew the Base would be faster in the quarter mile. LOL!!

It made no sense because the 3LT has a LOT of added unnecessary features that bring the cost up. A lot of it is cosmetic stuff. The upgraded seats add a pretty penny to the price and are not needed either. And those painted rims are an extra $2495!!! WTF??!! The 2LT should have been used since that one has everything the GT500s would have and nothing unnecessary. And I'm willing to bet the 1LT Z51 would have broke into the 10s if not an 11 flat. But still for a 3LT it performed admirably. And to know that you can add a whole lot of unnecessary things and still come in cheaper than a CF GT500 and ace it in the quarter mile says a lot.

Based on these results I do think the ZLE would have outperformed both versions of the GT500. It should be able to at least match the C8 Z51 in cornering. And it would have made up some of that time in the straights. And there is no way to add enough options to bring it even close to what the 3LT Z51 costed. At best with similar options the ZLE would probably have been around $75K. So I think this was the best way to protect the 6 year too late GT500.

Historically the Vette has always been known to take on any challenger of any price range, any design, and with way more power...and the Vette has always done remarkably well. Regardless of who they pit it against it does well. A couple decades ago they tested a bunch of supercars with the Vette being the least powered and cheapest one in the group. And I believe it was the standard Vette at that. For shits and giggles they even threw a Calloway Vette in. The Vette placed in the middle of the group. It did that well. So the Vette can hold it's own. However as far as I am concerned the Vette is NOT the competition for the Mustang. Ford had to make a VERY expensive and VERY overpowered top trim Mustang just to be slower in the quarter mile and faster around a track than the 2nd lowest trim Vette. Which goes back to my statements before about what it takes to beat a very well built car. You really have to overpower the Vette to beat it. There is no other way.

But the Camaro should have been used. The ZL1 against the Base and the ZLE against the CF. The problem with that is the ZL1 is just too good and probably would have wiped the GT500 clean off the track. So they used a substitute and then fluffed it up with options. LOL!! If anything the Base C8 at $60K should be matched to the GT350 and the Z51 should be matched to the GT350R. But, I mean, we really don't need to do that. Haha!! They could have also tested the Z06 or GS. But this matchup here is the best they could do to keep the GT500 looking good.
They might have been given the nicer optioned 3lt just for the sake of the general driving experience and not just the track test. For just a track test, the most track capable version should have been the ticket.

Doesn't matter, either way the far less powerful car represented itself well.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #5300
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
With a harder tio drive manual zle at that, the trans Ford was too chicken to include as an option on the gt500.

The gt500 is probably faster, Randy was probably being somewhat sensational on his statement as people tend to be in published articles.
There is a big difference between a Pro like Randy and an amateur. That isn't taking into account that the A10 will be faster yet than the M6...or the massive price differential.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #5301
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
They might have been given the nicer optioned 3lt just for the sake of the general driving experience and not just the track test. For just a track test, the most track capable version should have been the ticket.

Doesn't matter, either way the far less powerful car represented itself well.
Yup. They put it against the most track capable GT500 AND against the most capable version in a straight line. And why did they need the painted rims option? Or the painted roof? That is a $4K increase in price. But I'm impressed. 11.1. My goodness!!
Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #5302
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Remember, these are the combined results of two unrelated test days... one for C8, one for GT500. They didn't 'pick' anything for comparison purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon
Not bad performance for 78k or so.
Yup, beat the 'Vette by one second.

And NO ONE is buying a $78k GT500, not in 2020. Please stop. $88k to equip it to match ZL1, can't match 3LT at any price.

PLUS ADM.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #5303
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Yup. They put it against the most track capable GT500 AND against the most capable version in a straight line. And why did they need the painted rims option? Or the painted roof? That is a $4K increase in price. But I'm impressed. 11.1. My goodness!!
Having said that, I think all the options mainly inflated the price, I doubt performance would have changed much if any due to the slight weigh additions.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #5304
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Remember, these are the combined results of two unrelated test days... one for C8, one for GT500. They didn't 'pick' anything for comparison purposes.
Yea that's what I eluded to, this was probably the c8 provided for track and general road test. So a nicer spec was in order.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #5305
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

So at 11.5, the 2020 Base 760 HP GT500 with 7 sp auto DCT is just as fast as the 663 HP manual trans GT500 was 6 years ago!!

Old 12-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #5306
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Ford brought Carroll Shelby in back in 1965 to develop the GT350 because they were tired of Corvette running roughshod over SCCA. When the Shelby Cobra started phasing out, the GT350 was brought in. Corvette has dueled with anything named Shelby since before there was a Camaro.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote