Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Question on tune for GM CAI

I searched and couldn’t find any answers to this. I recently bought a barely used 2018 2SS Hot Wheels 50th. It only has 1327 miles on it. It had been ordered fir its original owner. The car is loaded, and it has the GM CAI installed in it. Is there any way to know that it got the GM tune it was supposed to get? Would a GM/Chevy dealer be able to tell, if the checked it by plugging in and seeing a code for it? If not, is there any way to inquire by the VIN or otherwise? Thank you for any help on this one.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
My 1LE was ordered with the CAI and it appears on the window sticker. The "myChevrolet" app show an update recall required for the tune that I don't intend to have done.

Point is that the recall demonstrates it had the tune done since a code is required for the dealer to download it. Check your VIN on the myChevrolet app

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
My 1LE was ordered with the CAI and it appears on the window sticker. The "myChevrolet" app show an update recall required for the tune that I don't intend to have done.

Point is that the recall demonstrates it had the tune done since a code is required for the dealer to download it. Check your VIN on the myChevrolet app
I’ll look into that. Thank you!

I was just able to get in touch with a service department at the dealer that the car was bought from. I gave my VIN to the gentleman on the call, and he was able to see a record saying that the “Engine Control Module was reprogrammed with SPS”…he wasn’t sure if this was the tune, but thought that it may be.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
I searched and couldn’t find any answers to this. I recently bought a barely used 2018 2SS Hot Wheels 50th. It only has 1327 miles on it. It had been ordered fir its original owner. The car is loaded, and it has the GM CAI installed in it. Is there any way to know that it got the GM tune it was supposed to get? Would a GM/Chevy dealer be able to tell, if the checked it by plugging in and seeing a code for it? If not, is there any way to inquire by the VIN or otherwise? Thank you for any help on this one.
A dealership should be able to pull a copy of the service records for the car. I don’t believe that the GM CAI was a factory option on the 2018 Camaro so I would expect the recalibration to show up on the list if it was done.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
A dealership should be able to pull a copy of the service records for the car. I don’t believe that the GM CAI was a factory option on the 2018 Camaro so I would expect the recalibration to show up on the list if it was done.
Thank you. The dealer that the car was purchased and ordered at was just able to tell me something. They said that the only thing they saw, that could be the tune, was a note that stated at 900 or so miles, the ECM was reprogrammed with SPS. Not sure if that is the tune.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
GM technical is the one that releases the tunes with the CAI paperwork. They could easily search your VIN and tell you or the dealer if it has been tuned with the GM CAI associated calibration.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
GM technical is the one that releases the tunes with the CAI paperwork. They could easily search your VIN and tell you or the dealer if it has been tuned with the GM CAI associated calibration.
Thank you. I’ll try to contact GM on this.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
shippingguy

Drives: 2024 Black ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

So you don’t have the tune in the car for the CAI? I’m just curious if you notice any performance issue or any codes being thrown? I have a ‘22 on order and you can’t order anymore, but if the car does not really have issues with no programming and running it I want to buy it online and install. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by shippingguy View Post
So you don’t have the tune in the car for the CAI? I’m just curious if you notice any performance issue or any codes being thrown? I have a ‘22 on order and you can’t order anymore, but if the car does not really have issues with no programming and running it I want to buy it online and install. Thank you.
I purchased mine and self installed. I only drove it for a couple days before I took it in to have the tune done. There were no codes in those two days, although I never really got on the gas until after the tune.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #10
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shippingguy View Post
There is a misunderstanding so I will try again. Sorry

It does have the tune. My car has a recall to have the tune changed. Seems to be that there is an emissions issue that the recall will correct.

My car was ordered with the CAI, so it shows on the window sticker, but this was a dealer install LPO option. The dealer installed it and used the code to get and download the tune so GM knows its actually on the car.

I do my own maintenance but record it to my VIN using the myChevrolet app. I noticed the CAI tune recall now shows against my VIN there.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #11
JoeCamaro444

Thank you to those who offered some useful info on this! I contacted GM Customer Service today, and after a call back, and about another 20 minutes on hold, I got some info. The representative said she exhausted all of her resources on it, with my VIN. She was able to see a note that the GM CAI was purchased by original owner, and it was taken into “a dealer” and it was installed with the tune. I asked what dealer, or in what state, just out of curiosity, but she stated that she is only able to confirm that the GM CAI was purchased outside the dealer, and brought in for install and tune. 👍🏻