Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
catch can smoking

Just picked up an new to me 2016 SS with built motor and D series pro charger.

Car was built by a local shop that specializes in LS and LT Gm cars and I talked with the head tech who built the engine and it was a top shelf build but they did it just over a year ago and the new owner was not really knowledgeable about the car. Car runs very strong, but I am getting exhaust odor in the cabin, not much but enough.

Now I am kinda new to these newer GM performance cars, Last one I had was a 2002 Firehawk with heads and cam.

So I start poking around under the hood looking for something that might be the cause and I notice the catch can is smoking a bit and the main line coming from the engine goes to a T fitting where none of the hoses have clamps on them and are pretty loose fitting.

So I take the can off and drain about half a cup of oil out, clean it up and put some clamps on the loose hoses hoping this will solve my odor issue. Well still have the odor and from what I have read this is pretty common with long tubes and cat deletes, but I also notice the catch can is still smoking out the top filter. This is at idle and with the engine not fully warmed up.

Is this normal? Or do I have an issue?

rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
ZeroZeta

Drives: 18 Camaro SS
Think you should check the hose routing. I have D series blower and same catch can as well. You will likely smell a small amount of oil - but this is due to the can venting out and only happens for me when going into boost. The smoking is completely not normal.

Check this post out as it explains how the outlet from the can should be set up. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545270

The line from the oil fill cap should run to the catch can inlet.

There is a bit of overly complex stuff going on with the t-fitting - not sure what they were doing.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Did your can vent and the oil heat up / smoke?
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I mainly notice the smoke at idle, pulling the filter off it has a disc sitting below the filter that should be pulled against the can when under vacuum and then pushed up to vent when under boost.

The main line goes to the T. One end of the T goes into the fitting in front of the pass. side valve cover. The other goes over by the fill cap and there is another outlet behind it that is capped off. The output from the can wraps around and goes into the end of the air filter.

I bought it this way and cannot find any good instructions on how it is supposed to be installed.

Thanks
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote