Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Yes - I agree. The used prices are very close to new, too close in most cases. For example, a V6 trimmed out like the one I placed an order for(20" rims, stripes, 6-speed) stickered for about $29,500. Ive seen fairly comparable used ones, like 2016-2019 where the asking price is like $25K to $29K. Its like....guys..... c'mon.
I'd expect a car like that to go for the low $20's. If so - Id certainly consider that as an option. But within a few grand of new? Tough to swallow that!
When you look at it purely as a price item, I agree that it makes no sense. But, if you step back and look at as "what can I buy right now", it starts to shift a little to show where you'll pay a premium for a used vehicle simply because it's available now and not months and months from now (and possibly at a time of year when you couldn't even drive it).

Here's another minor glitch in the system... I have a 2015 Silverado that I'd "like to" replace (but I have no specific reason where I must replace it). I'm holding off for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the "new" trucks are missing features that I have no way to obtain later on and I'm not being offered enough of a price break to accept the vehicle without them. If I were in a position where I had to replace the truck, I'd be looking at very lightly used ones and would pay the price because I'd get all of the advertised features.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #30
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
When you look at it purely as a price item, I agree that it makes no sense. But, if you step back and look at as "what can I buy right now", it starts to shift a little to show where you'll pay a premium for a used vehicle simply because it's available now and not months and months from now (and possibly at a time of year when you couldn't even drive it).

Here's another minor glitch in the system... I have a 2015 Silverado that I'd "like to" replace (but I have no specific reason where I must replace it). I'm holding off for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the "new" trucks are missing features that I have no way to obtain later on and I'm not being offered enough of a price break to accept the vehicle without them. If I were in a position where I had to replace the truck, I'd be looking at very lightly used ones and would pay the price because I'd get all of the advertised features.
Absolutely valid points. And, Im NOT ruling out a used 'Maro since the V6 constraint(and everything else) points to a potential long wait for me). Id love to find one certified with some type of warranty and feel thats worth an upcharge.

Winter is close.... I have to see if my order actually gets accepted in that time frame. If it lingers with no action, the used avenue is a legit way to go.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #31
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Absolutely valid points. And, Im NOT ruling out a used 'Maro since the V6 constraint(and everything else) points to a potential long wait for me). Id love to find one certified with some type of warranty and feel thats worth an upcharge.

Winter is close.... I have to see if my order actually gets accepted in that time frame. If it lingers with no action, the used avenue is a legit way to go.
FYI, I think every time you call it a "'Maro" you get one month added to your wait time for an allocation.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #32
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
FYI, I think every time you call it a "'Maro" you get one month added to your wait time for an allocation.
Oh damn….I did throw the apostrophe in there but duly noted!

Question, just out of curiosity: do you feel that 2016-2018 V6 cars in 1LT trim with maybe a few extras here and there are worth $26 to $28K? These are cars with under 30K miles and decent ownership histories. The new one I spec'd out came in at $29,560 with 20” black rims, stripes and a manual transmission.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #33
SavageOrange

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:

Question, just out of curiosity: do you feel that 2016-2018 V6 cars in 1LT trim with maybe a few extras here and there are worth $26 to $28K? These are cars with under 30K miles and decent ownership histories. The new one I spec'd out came in at $29,560 with 20” black rims, stripes and a manual transmission.
No. Used prices are inflated. You should only buy a used vehicle if you absolutely had no choice

Why spend $26-$28K when you can wait a little while and get a new one for under $30 and 3 miles with all warranty?

It makes ZERO sense
SavageOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #34
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
Quote:

The ‘maro comment wasn’t so much about the apostrophe as the shortened name itself. Who knows maybe Mustang purists feel the same when someone shortens it to ‘stang.

As for your question about value of used, The best way to answer that question is to:
1) use the GM configuration to see what the same build would cost today.
2) Then add your estimated value for any add-ones not available today.
3) subtract your estimated value for any options/features you wouldn’t have that you want.
4) subtract whatever value you personally assign for the mileage, age, and prior owner unknowns.

If the total you come up with is similar to what you can build and order, then pull the trigger.
If the total is overly high vs. a custom order to your preference, then don’t.
A brand new 1LT today specs out for what $27k? If the used one you are looking at is more than that… your giving up engine life, I know driving history, while paying extra. That’s a no go in my book.

If you decide to buy used, January or February might be the best time to buy as demand is likely to be lowest at that point, more of the ‘21 build shy units should be hitting dealers to increase supply at the same time.

When it comes down to it, only you can make the decision. The Camaro seems like it will only be around a couple more years. If you want the opportunity to have exactly what you want, brand new, for the long haul its best to wait.

I fully understand your frustration, excitement, and desire. Even if you have to wait until April (or even May) to take delivery, I think you’ll ultimately be way more satisfied with waiting for exactly what you want.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #35
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageOrange View Post
No. Used prices are inflated. You should only buy a used vehicle if you absolutely had no choice

Why spend $26-$28K when you can wait a little while and get a new one for under $30 and 3 miles with all warranty?

It makes ZERO sense
I know. I was pretty much thinking the same thing but like to get different opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd24 View Post
The ‘maro comment wasn’t so much about the apostrophe as the shortened name itself. Who knows maybe Mustang purists feel the same when someone shortens it to ‘stang.

As for your question about value of used, The best way to answer that question is to:
1) use the GM configuration to see what the same build would cost today.
2) Then add your estimated value for any add-ones not available today.
3) subtract your estimated value for any options/features you wouldn’t have that you want.
4) subtract whatever value you personally assign for the mileage, age, and prior owner unknowns.

If the total you come up with is similar to what you can build and order, then pull the trigger.
If the total is overly high vs. a custom order to your preference, then don’t.
A brand new 1LT today specs out for what $27k? If the used one you are looking at is more than that… your giving up engine life, I know driving history, while paying extra. That’s a no go in my book.

If you decide to buy used, January or February might be the best time to buy as demand is likely to be lowest at that point, more of the ‘21 build shy units should be hitting dealers to increase supply at the same time.

When it comes down to it, only you can make the decision. The Camaro seems like it will only be around a couple more years. If you want the opportunity to have exactly what you want, brand new, for the long haul its best to wait.

I fully understand your frustration, excitement, and desire. Even if you have to wait until April (or even May) to take delivery, I think you’ll ultimately be way more satisfied with waiting for exactly what you want.
Yes, all good points here. I kind of know this but liked hearing from others. Just to get my mind off the idea of overpaying used. The car I configured and hopefully will get my order accepted for was $29,560. The details are in my signature. The only options are the V6, the stripes and the 20” carbon wheels.

So, $27,500 for a used one does seem silly.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #36
Andy 91GTA

Drives: 91 GTA, 92 GTA, 92 GTA
Quote:
I know. I was pretty much thinking the same thing but like to get different opinions.

Yes, all good points here. I kind of know this but liked hearing from others. Just to get my mind off the idea of overpaying used. The car I configured and hopefully will get my order accepted for was $29,560. The details are in my signature. The only options are the V6, the stripes and the 20” carbon wheels.

So, $27,500 for a used one does seem silly.
You are also getting full factory warranty buying brand new while a used one will have a chunk of it used up already. Finance rates may be better buying new vs used if you are needing to finance which is another thing to consider in your decision.
Order Status - 3000 - TPW Mar 21/22 - found out Feb 1/22
Order Status - 3400 - Changed at GM Mar 11/22
Order Status - 3800 - Mar 28/22
Order Status - 4B00 - Mar 29/22
Order Status - 4150 - Changed at GM Mar 30/22
Order Status - 5000 - May 25/22
Order Status - 6000 - May 26/22
Andy 91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #37
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 91GTA View Post
You are also getting full factory warranty buying brand new while a used one will have a chunk of it used up already. Finance rates may be better buying new vs used if you are needing to finance which is another thing to consider in your decision.
Im putting about half down so Ill need to finace around $15K-$16K of it. You are correct to mention that though.

The bottom line is that Im being overly antsy. Like a little kid two days before Christmas or something. The wait and uncertainty is killing me, lol. I need to step back and chill a bit. Give it until at least the end of November or so. If the plant goes down again or is down at that time or my order still hasnt been accepted, V6 constraints, etc - then its fair to start really getting worked up.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #38
Andy 91GTA

Drives: 91 GTA, 92 GTA, 92 GTA
Quote:
Im putting about half down so Ill need to finace around $15K-$16K of it. You are correct to mention that though.

The bottom line is that Im being overly antsy. Like a little kid two days before Christmas or something. The wait and uncertainty is killing me, lol. I need to step back and chill a bit. Give it until at least the end of November or so. If the plant goes down again or is down at that time or my order still hasnt been accepted, V6 constraints, etc - then its fair to start really getting worked up.
My wife thinks she is never getting her car after waiting six and a half months. The car is still at 3000 status when I checked on the weekend.
You might have to cave and order an LT1 if the V6 constraints continue!
Order Status - 3000 - TPW Mar 21/22 - found out Feb 1/22
Order Status - 3400 - Changed at GM Mar 11/22
Order Status - 3800 - Mar 28/22
Order Status - 4B00 - Mar 29/22
Order Status - 4150 - Changed at GM Mar 30/22
Order Status - 5000 - May 25/22
Order Status - 6000 - May 26/22

Last edited by Andy 91GTA; 10-18-2021 at 10:37 PM. Reason: order status added
Andy 91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:40 AM   #39
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 91GTA View Post
My wife thinks she is never getting her car after waiting six and a half months. The car is still at 3000 status when I checked on the weekend.
You might have to cave and order an LT1 if the V6 constraints continue!
If only. . Actually, the turbo isn’t out of the question if things stay ugly with the V6. I’m not against a turbo 4 in this 6th gen Camaro. I feel the V6 is a perfect setup but the turbo has its own virtues too. The LT1 just won’t work for me.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #40
s2mikey

Curious if anyone feels that the Turbo-4 is a "riskier" used purchase used due to the turbo and the fact that it requires premium fuel which not all owners will have properly stuck to. No way to tell sans receipts from every fill up, lol.

I suppose finding one thats certified takes some anxiety away since its under warranty at least for a while.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:50 PM   #41
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Curious if anyone feels that the Turbo-4 is a "riskier" used purchase used due to the turbo and the fact that it requires premium fuel which not all owners will have properly stuck to. No way to tell sans receipts from every fill up, lol.

I suppose finding one thats certified takes some anxiety away since its under warranty at least for a while.
The premium fuel item is kind of a non-starter... No different than the V8's.

If the fuel used causes misfires, it's going to log codes and not run right.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:37 AM   #42
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The premium fuel item is kind of a non-starter... No different than the V8's.

If the fuel used causes misfires, it's going to log codes and not run right.
Good to know. So someone skimping on fuel quality will cause the car to show the problem.