Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #29
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That V6 is not really able to handle boost, it's not the same situation as with an LT1. Plus, even if you managed to address the biggest issue, low-end torque, the weight you add will be detrimental to carrying the speed in corners with the current setup.
Sure it does, just not the same ceiling the LT1 does by any means. I boosted my LLT in my 2010 and the LGX has even broader aftermarket forced-induction support than that did. It was a fun setup, but didn't bring the torque up like I'd wanted, so I traded up to the '17. Regardless, fun car. Raised some eyebrows with the hood open and the whine was nice.

And the weight is neither here nor there. You're not adding that much and the 1LE comes with the SS suspension anyway.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #30
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMKvgi3yy8

Blast from the past—and ironically they love the shifter.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:37 PM   #31
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
better car for what?

paying $31k for either one of those cars should be a crime.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #32
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Sure it does, just not the same ceiling the LT1 does by any means. I boosted my LLT in my 2010 and the LGX has even broader aftermarket forced-induction support than that did. It was a fun setup, but didn't bring the torque up like I'd wanted, so I traded up to the '17. Regardless, fun car. Raised some eyebrows with the hood open and the whine was nice.

And the weight is neither here nor there. You're not adding that much and the 1LE comes with the SS suspension anyway.
Actually boosting the V6 and the engine being able to handle boost are two different things. "Is it built strong enough for boost to last reliably" is the question that needs investigation for the latter. I don't know enough about the V6 to know that answer.

I do remember someone showing their supercharged V6 dyno in here a while back and it showed a peaky torque curve. Not much down low and a steep hp curve up top and a quick drop off. I know that's just one example, but I wonder if most of them look like that. Compared to a stock LT1, which has a flatter high rpm hp curve, which will make for a quicker car despite similar peak hp numbers. That's the reason the A10 GT w/ 3.55s are so quick - extremely flat high rpm hp curves.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #33
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
the 2013-2014 is the absolute best year of the Mustang ever. The only reason the craprag had problems was the owners, well and maybe China. Why they did not go TR is silly to me, but you cannot beat a 2013-4 5.0 -

Can you not find a 1SS 1LE for that? would be better than both by far

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #34
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
the 2013-2014 is the absolute best year of the Mustang ever. The only reason the craprag had problems was the owners, well and maybe China. Why they did not go TR is silly to me, but you cannot beat a 2013-4 5.0 -

Can you not find a 1SS 1LE for that? would be better than both by far
That's the issue. Ford takes a lot of shortcuts. They put a powerful engine in the Mustang and use a clunky China made tranny.

I had the automatic 2012 Mustang and very dependable. However it's quite clear Ford is cheap. The overall quality on the leather, unfinished dashboard, clunky, etc. Mechanically my car was outstanding but Ford takes a lot of shortcuts.

The Camaro overall is much higher quality.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:58 PM   #35
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
That's the issue. Ford takes a lot of shortcuts. They put a powerful engine in the Mustang and use a clunky China made tranny.

I had the automatic 2012 Mustang and very dependable. However it's quite clear Ford is cheap. The overall quality on the leather, unfinished dashboard, clunky, etc. Mechanically my car was outstanding but Ford takes a lot of shortcuts.

The Camaro overall is much higher quality.
Nah, I disagree with you on that. The stang M6 tranny isn’t the “best”, but a MGW shifter and a lighter clutch spring transformed the car. Never a creak, rattle or any other issue with mine. The paint was MUCH thicker / tougher than the Camaro’s, which come on…is a complete joke. I had cloth seats and they were MUCH better than the Camaro cloth seats. Panels lined up nice too, including the dash to doors, unlike Camaro. The sheet metal on the stang is thicker, most particularly at the hind quarters. Now, I could list a lot of ways the Camaro is better… but I’ll abbreviate, the big 3 - low end torque, better M6, and handling prowess.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 09-25-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:38 AM   #36
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
BOSS is kind of Ford's version of the 1LE, at least it was their "full track" version, not focused on drag-racing. So it's kind of like 2015 Camaro SS 1LE vs. 2017 V6 1LE. The BOSS stays pretty planted on a track and with a good driver it can do pretty damn well. You'll run into a wall eventually, but that wall will be higher than what you'd experience with a V6. I'm not a huge Ford fan, I find they don't set up a lot of their stuff "seriously" and often leave out critical parts of the package for a rounded/complete car, but the BOSS isn't bad, the biggest real issue is the lack of IRS and it somehow isn't held back anywhere near as much as you'd think, most of the testers commented on how there was some kind of magic going on for it to work as well as it does given that setup. The reason why I'd go with a V6 1LE would be for newer tech, wanting to have things like back-up cameras, phone interfaces, rev match? other stuff that is standard on newer cars or may have been optioned. Sometimes certain tech things are enough of a shift that older cars will just not do it for me.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
BOSS is kind of Ford's version of the 1LE, at least it was their "full track" version, not focused on drag-racing. So it's kind of like 2015 Camaro SS 1LE vs. 2017 V6 1LE. The BOSS stays pretty planted on a track and with a good driver it can do pretty damn well. You'll run into a wall eventually, but that wall will be higher than what you'd experience with a V6. I'm not a huge Ford fan, I find they don't set up a lot of their stuff "seriously" and often leave out critical parts of the package for a rounded/complete car, but the BOSS isn't bad, the biggest real issue is the lack of IRS and it somehow isn't held back anywhere near as much as you'd think, most of the testers commented on how there was some kind of magic going on for it to work as well as it does given that setup.
The S197's 3-link plus Panhard bar rear suspension configuration is arguably the best of the "simple" stick-axle suspensions. After that, the devil is in the details. It's the established reputation from the other ways that stick axles have been suspended (leaf springs, triangulated 4-links) that have given all solid axle suspensions a poor image as far as handling is concerned.

The cornering/handling of "lesser" S197 trims can benefit significantly from just a few simple but carefully chosen suspension mods.

Norm
Old 09-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #38
harrington81

Drives: 2015 Camaro zl1
I remember reading in Car and Driver a while back about the Boss 302. They said it was the best Modern Mustang ever. The live axle in that car is a masterpiece.
harrington81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #39
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
thing is the chassis and suspension on our camaros is incredible. the s197 is a joke tbh.
just did a 300 mile drive today..i just cant get enough of these cars. motoring perfection.
the s197 is light years away from being motoring perfection.
i wouldn't have another one of those things if you gave me it.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #40
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Skip them both and find an SS or LT1. Clearly you like the V8 but favor the alpha platform, both the SS and LT1 solve that, plus you also get the low end torque that neither of your options offer. The only thing the mustang had going for it is the cheaper and abundant aftermarket, most attractive to me is the insanely cheap 1000+ hp supporting port injection fuel systems.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #41
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
if we were talking about a 2013 ss 1le vs a 2013 boss it would be much harder but i would go camaro because I am not a ford guy but a v6 1le even if a 6th gen vs a 2013 boss the boss for sure no doubt
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #42
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
just look at that lump of steel at the rear ford called suspension lol. the fronts not much better either.
basically the s197 is a 1975 ford taunus in a fancy frock..amazing they fooled the public and got away with it as long as they did.
imho the s197 is a death trap. above 90 they are dangerous