Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Two Issues: P0113 (IAT Sensor) and P0122/P0223 (Intake Throttle Body)

I have two issues and I could really use some help:

1) I haven't driven the Camaro (V6) in a while. When I started it up, ,the "Service Stabilitrak" indicator and the T/C light came on. While the cruise control still works but the remote start no longer works. Based on research, the latter is by design. Idle is somewhat ok but I do hear a mild misfiring, I think.

The scanner indicated a P0113 code which means the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is reading at too high voltage. The live code reader confirmed it was reading at -40º F.

I purchased what I thought was the IAT based on research.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ensor-25775833

However, it's not clear on where it goes. I do have a Cold Air Inductions CAI but all I see is the mass airflow sensor (MAF).

Q: Is the IAT embedded in the MAF? What is that part I ordered then? If it is just the MAF, should I just try cleaning it first?

2) I cleaned the throttle body by wiping it with alcohol as I didn't have my cleaner around. I opened the throttle while wiping it. I inadvertently starting taking off one of the clamps to the throttle position sensor thinking it was the IAT I bought. When I noticed it wasn't I immediately stopped and put it back on snug.

Unfortunately, I did a code reading just to check things and noticed the I got two new codes now: P0122 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit A too low of voltage and P0223 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage is too high.
I assume I inadvertently "broke" the sensor. This is surprising since I only loosened one clamp and I didn't take it off.

The codes weren't there before so I assume I did something.
Q: What could have caused this and do I now need to replace it?

Appreciate the help!

Last edited by TastyBake; 09-08-2021 at 02:28 PM.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
TastyBake

Update:

1) Pending:
I found my MAF cleaner, disconnected the negative battery terminal, cleaned it, reconnected it, and cleared the code but it still came back.
After researching, I'm convinced now the MAF has a IAT. Since mine is a V6, I don't have to worry about "strong" vs "weak MAF. GM uses a Bosch 0280218232 with the GM part number for it being 92196278. Based on the research, I decided to buy it.
I'll update everyone once it is done.

I'm not sure what IAT sensor I bought earlier but my guess is it can be used to relocate the IAT to another location closer to the TB as I've seen posts for it. Not sure why GM would sell it unless there are cases where the IAT needs to be relocated (e.g., CAI).
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ensor-25775833

2) Resolved:
Researching this, the cause of the throttle body codes were simply because I actuated the TB while cleaning it so it needed a re-learn. I followed the instructions from the thread below and it worked fine. Now, I only have the IAT "permanent" code which is issue #1.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298401
Old 09-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Here's the amazon listing for the Bosch MAF with the IAT thermistor incorporated (which can be clearly seen):
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Origina.../dp/B00BHGURTU

Based on the code, it looks like your thermistor failed open. I would check resistance across both the old and new thermistors before reinstalling to make sure you don't have a connection issue. I doubt that, but I would check.

The repair manual indicates the possibility of Hitachi or Delco for the IAT in the V6 cars. Below is a cut & paste of the ranges for the delco thermistor at various temps. Formatting gets messed up, but it's basically C/F temp in the first column, min ohms, max ohms. You are looking for about 2k ohms at room temp.

SPECIFICATIONS > TEMPERATURE VERSUS RESISTANCE - INTAKE AIR
TEMPERATURE SENSOR (DELCO SENSOR)
Temperature
C°/F°
Resistance Minimum
Ohms
Resistance Maximum
Ohms
Delco Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
-40/-40 42,661 54,224
-20/-4 14,039 17,333
-10/14 8,529 10,399
0/32 5,358 6,458
20/68 2,308 2,727
25/77 1,904 2,236
40/104 1,113 1,292
60/140 571 655
80/176 309 351
100/212 175 197
120/248 103 116
140/284 67 73
150/302 54 59

Last edited by ctrlz; 09-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
TastyBake

Someone informed me the "unknown" piece was actually an ambient temp sensor.

Update:
I replaced the MAP sensor but the codes were still there. The old one looked 100% fine visually. However, I found the cause.

Some "Mechanics" from youtube cautioned replacing the map sensor w/out inspecting everything else first including the wiring as the sensor can last the life of the vehicle. Unfortunately, I didn't do this so that was my naïvety.

Earlier, I noticed there was a hole in the padding and I figured the squirrel at my home got under the car and chewed it for a nest.

Well, you guess it. The squirrel chewed the wiring.

I can fix the wiring correctly and safely, not just "eh, tape it" method.
Hopefully nothing gets shorted until this is resolved but I'll update everyone to let you guys know what happened.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
ctrlz

Looks like you have enough room to get in there, repair with some crimp connectors, and heat shrink as you go. Harbor freight has those supplies pretty cheap including a crimper.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
They will cause a lot of damage and rats will too. I had a Camaro years ago that a rat built a nest at the firewall and chewed up some of the wiring which cost me money to have replaced.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Be sure to disconnect battery and what not before you begin on the wire repairs. If possible, I'd just cut out the chewed up wires and solder (w/heat shrink) in new wires in place, and then tuck them into a nice wire loom or some such.

I recently picked up an 84 El Camino SS which had sat for a few years and the mice/squirrels/whatever went to down on the hoses and wiring so I know your pain!! lol :-/

willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
TastyBake

Question

Thanks guys,

Update:

I disconnected the battery, replaced any and all partially chewed wires with fresh wire, crimped the ends, put high temp electrical tape around each one and high temp around them all just like the factory.

The IAT temp is now at 88°F, so it works now.

However, the stabiliTrak light is still on even though there are no DTC codes.

I did see ABS codes but once they cleared, they never returned. Research said it was because I disconnected the battery.
C01710-5A
U0126-00
U0125-00

What could cause the StabiliTrak message+light to remain on even though the codes are gone? Google searches were unsuccessful.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
If possible, I'd just cut out the chewed up wires and solder (w/heat shrink) in new wires in place, and then tuck them into a nice wire loom or some such.
This is probably the best solution, depending on the talent of the person soldering and how hard it is to do this leaning across the car. The problem in this kind of awkward situation is you can end up getting your hot iron too close to plastic where it can cause new trouble.

If this were my car, I would probably resort to non-insulated crimps and heat shrink the wires individually. Then use some slit plastic wire loom shielding and close it up with cable ties.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #10
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
What could cause the StabiliTrak message+light to remain on even though the codes are gone? Google searches were unsuccessful.
Did you try another throttle body relearn after the repair?
Stabilitrak is non-specific. I bet it is related to the TB problem (now fixed).
Old 09-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
The car will throw P0113 just for unplugging the MAF, even if the key is off. Make sure you give it a couple key cycles to go away. When it read -40 it means it is seeing an open circuit (could be bad, but could also just be unplugged).

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
TastyBake

MUCH worse than I thought

Well, bad news...really bad news.

Apparently, the squirrel damaged not just that set of wires but bunch of wires along a path to get into the engine. This includes wires for the O2 sensor and the wiring harness itself.

The mechanic said its because the wire insulation is soy-based now but that was inconclusive since they chew on any wiring in the house.

I was told to take it to the dealer for something like this. I probably need a new wiring harness.

Is the dealer the only option?
Would a franchise company be able to fix/replace the wiring? Anyone else experience this?
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
ctrlz

How about a new oxygen sensor? They come with the wire attached.

Need better pix of any remaining damage.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #14
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
To answer your question I think a normal mechanic can fix this. That being said I would actually see if your insurance would cover it. This isn’t a normal mechanical failure. This is mechanical failure due to vandalism (not sure if animals breaking your car is technically vandalism but you know what I mean)
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iat, maf, p0112, p0113, p0223