Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
LuciusAelius

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LT RS 2.0
How well does the 2.0 (non-1LE!) perform on the track?

I've seen so many instances of people reviewing and discussing the 2.0 1LE's performance on the track, but no one talks about the base non-1LE model (stock, no suspension mods). Just from driving it on regular roads, I can already feel that it has some potential based on how well it maneuvers and steers. So, I was wondering how it might perform on the track. Has anyone tried? What have your experiences been like?
LuciusAelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusAelius View Post
I've seen so many instances of people reviewing and discussing the 2.0 1LE's performance on the track, but no one talks about the base non-1LE model (stock, no suspension mods). Just from driving it on regular roads, I can already feel that it has some potential based on how well it maneuvers and steers. So, I was wondering how it might perform on the track. Has anyone tried? What have your experiences been like?

There are many Non-1LE guys on various tracks performing at or near the top of their class. Alpha platform is tough to match...

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I autocross mine fairly regularly with success. I've done wheels/tires, camber plates, and downpipe/tune. Otherwise, the car is stock. At autox, you're not as punished by the lack of power, and are rewarded for the lower weight over the front.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
I road course and auto-x mine all the time! I continually impress people by how well that car does for it's engine size. 3 years ago at CamaroFest people could not believe it was a 4 cylinder and beating up on ZL1 1LE's.

I've never driven a more balanced car out on the road course. I am full bolt ons, ZZP coilovers (soon to be released, previously was on BC Racing coilovers), ZZP trailing arms, ZZP 6 piston front brake conversion, great brake pads, Dot 4, ZZP front sway bar, ZL1 rear sway bar, and 275/35/19's all the way around. I hold my own in the classes I compete in, but my tires (Federal RS-Pro's this year) are really the only thing that hold me back.

The only downfall on the non 1LE cars is the cooling. Last time I was out at the track (middle of July, very hot) I could only make 2 or 3 hot laps before I had to run a cool down lap. I have an auto trans and that thing does NOT like full 15-20 minute sessions out on the road course, it'll get too hot and start to deny shifts. Engine temps were getting up there as well. If I continue to road course the car I'll be adding some of the 1LE coolers to it over this winter.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Thats awesome to hear! Speaking of cooling, is zzp planning on adding an oil cooling system or reviving the oil catch can?
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler View Post
I road course and auto-x mine all the time! I continually impress people by how well that car does for it's engine size. 3 years ago at CamaroFest people could not believe it was a 4 cylinder and beating up on ZL1 1LE's.

I've never driven a more balanced car out on the road course. I am full bolt ons, ZZP coilovers (soon to be released, previously was on BC Racing coilovers), ZZP trailing arms, ZZP 6 piston front brake conversion, great brake pads, Dot 4, ZZP front sway bar, ZL1 rear sway bar, and 275/35/19's all the way around. I hold my own in the classes I compete in, but my tires (Federal RS-Pro's this year) are really the only thing that hold me back.

The only downfall on the non 1LE cars is the cooling. Last time I was out at the track (middle of July, very hot) I could only make 2 or 3 hot laps before I had to run a cool down lap. I have an auto trans and that thing does NOT like full 15-20 minute sessions out on the road course, it'll get too hot and start to deny shifts. Engine temps were getting up there as well. If I continue to road course the car I'll be adding some of the 1LE coolers to it over this winter.
If you were to add a trans cooler, would you try the OEM HD Cooling/1LE position (laying flat under your FMIC), or on the sides where HD/1LEs have one of the aux radiators?
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
ZZP_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
If you were to add a trans cooler, would you try the OEM HD Cooling/1LE position (laying flat under your FMIC), or on the sides where HD/1LEs have one of the aux radiators?
I had planned on the flat position cooler. Mainly because I have priced out the OE parts and they're very reasonable and should bolt right in. I know from speaking with a few other folks who road course their cars that the positioning there does a good job of keeping things cool.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
ZZP_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
Thats awesome to hear! Speaking of cooling, is zzp planning on adding an oil cooling system or reviving the oil catch can?
Revision for the catch can location is in the plans, but it's low on the R&D priority list unfortunately. Only so much time every week and so many heads.

We have an oil cooler adapter for our older Ecotecs, it's possible we work on something on the LTG in the future.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler View Post

Tyler! Spill the beans on the ZZP Coilovers for the 2.0 Camaro. I've been patiently waiting for 5 years for someone to come out with very specific coilovers just for this car. Thank you for tackling this part of the chassis.

How much better do they feel over the BC's?
What do you like and don't like about them?
Who makes them?
Spring rates?
Ride heights you feel were the best?
Pricing?
Release date?

Please tell me they will be ready in time for the annual Black Friday event.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
I have a 2019 1LS manual that I have tracked the car a good bit.

Before my first track day I had Danny at G-Loc make me some R10 pads for the single piston front and R8 for the rear with SRF fluid. I was overdriving the car and got a soft pedal with no brake duct cooling. Ordered the SS style brake duct cooling for the car and didn't have any more soft pedal issues. But being a heavy trail brake user. I wanted more stopping power on the track and got the 4 piston calipers with R16 pads and upgraded the rear single piston to R12 using Brembo 64 fluid now. This set up has worked great.

The car does heat soak some on hot 90 plus degree days. My goal going forward is to track the car in the spring and fall to alleviate this problem.
My water and oil temps seem to be in the same range as SS 1LE's.

Aero does help there is a daily gas millage hit and I lost 2 mph top speed at VIR. But the car is a lot more stable on the track. This is with extremonlinestore ZL1 1LE knock off front splitter and side skirts, along with a ZL1 factory rear wing.

My take away from this is to upgrade your pad and fluid and if you aren't afraid to brake very deep upgrade to the SS style brake duct kit you will have to cut a hole the fender liner and replace the brake dust shield with the tiny one that only covers the ball joint and have at it.
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #11
VividI4

Drives: 22 Camaro 2LT 2.0 6M
Old thread I know, but just for the sake of having an example on here, I tracked my 2LT m6 on NJMP Thunderbolt in June this year. I did 4 20 minute sessions. Mostly bone stock, just muffler delete, zl1 front sway, and some DOT4 fluid. Held up great until I got some brake fade in the 4th session (I was getting comfortable and started to push the brakes more on turn 1 from the straightaway). Car felt great but I probably won't track until I get better brakes (at least pads, but I'd probably go do the 13.6" kit) and tires (I actually did this on the stock all seasons). Didn't have any temp issues either (but tbh I probably wasn't pushing hard enough?).
VividI4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #12
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
it would be interesting to dump $3500 on suspension, brakes, and cooling
on a stock 2.0 1LE
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.0 camaro, base model, track