Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 08-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Ctrev21

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Convertible
2017 RS Convertible Top Issues

Today was the day that I've finally became annoyed in regards to my 2017 RS Convertible.
Back in 2018 the right side small slide door that rolls in and out as you lower and raise the top failed and it took a week to repair the issue under warranty.
Here I am with my ride. 18k on it, only comes out in the summer and probably less than 50 cycles on it since 2018 fix.
Today the left side fails. Unlike the right side which just stayed open as I went to put the top up I hear pretty loud crunch. I stop the cycling halfway through and the entire assembly in there just fell apart and also bent one of the steel flat riveted arms. I was happy that no sheet metal was damaged but this is the worst design I've ever seen.
You'd think they would have looked over the left side as well back in 2018.
Now I get to call the dealer and wonder if I'm on the hook for the fix or if it'll be done under the warranty with only 18k on her.
I want to drive my car not keep dropping it off at the damn dealer.
I looked in regards to recalls but didn't find anything. I managed to pull the parts in and completed the cycle to have the top back up but I'm not dropping now until it's resolved. GM really did a crappy job on this top design.
Ctrev21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrev21 View Post
Today was the day that I've finally became annoyed in regards to my 2017 RS Convertible.
Back in 2018 the right side small slide door that rolls in and out as you lower and raise the top failed and it took a week to repair the issue under warranty.
Here I am with my ride. 18k on it, only comes out in the summer and probably less than 50 cycles on it since 2018 fix.
Today the left side fails. Unlike the right side which just stayed open as I went to put the top up I hear pretty loud crunch. I stop the cycling halfway through and the entire assembly in there just fell apart and also bent one of the steel flat riveted arms. I was happy that no sheet metal was damaged but this is the worst design I've ever seen.
You'd think they would have looked over the left side as well back in 2018.
Now I get to call the dealer and wonder if I'm on the hook for the fix or if it'll be done under the warranty with only 18k on her.
I want to drive my car not keep dropping it off at the damn dealer.
I looked in regards to recalls but didn't find anything. I managed to pull the parts in and completed the cycle to have the top back up but I'm not dropping now until it's resolved. GM really did a crappy job on this top design.
What do you mean one of the steel flat riveted arms… Do you have a picture?

I agree the plastic retractable trim pieces are junk, even the latest and revised design with one more prong (so it doesn’t flex as much). I know both sides on mine creak, from day one…especially when it’s warm out (and I know I have the latest design). On the plus side, the trim pieces are only $84 a piece… so I’m not sweating that, but I would like to see what you’re talking about on the bent arm…

I’m pretty certain you’ll be on the hook for the repair… sad to say, unless the car was bought in mid to late 2018. ( 3 year bumper to bumper).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
Ctrev21

Car was purchased in November of 2017. Placed into storage until May of 2018 then my right side slide door went out. Winter of 2018,2019,2020 in storage for 6 months. Came out this year and after 6 trips the left side went. Seen a few YouTube video's on DIY but can find part numbers to order. Seems kit comes with the complete top trim with sliding door intact to it and another part with all the smaller folding arms with rivets, clips, and slide.

I haven't had time to take photos as I had eye surgery a week after it happened and now have waited two weeks for dealer to return my call.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Ctrev21

(GM-84397871 / GM- 84797935) Two part numbers I've found for the drivers side sliding cover for top but still can't find the kit that includes small flat arm, rivet, clip and plastic slide parts.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
I recently noticed the same plastic cover part failed on my passenger side. Found this link today. Would this be covered since it's a known GM problem?

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=8588
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
I recently noticed the same plastic cover part failed on my passenger side. Found this link today. Would this be covered since it's a known GM problem?

If you are still under bumper to bumper warranty then yes it is covered, if not it is only a TSB, not a recall therefore dealer will not fix for free

The top "slider" piece is just trim, very easy to install yourself as it is just a couple retaining clips
Old 08-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
If you are still under bumper to bumper warranty then yes it is covered, if not it is only a TSB, not a recall therefore dealer will not fix for free

The top "slider" piece is just trim, very easy to install yourself as it is just a couple retaining clips
Ok, thanks. Is there info on how to remove that piece without breaking the parts it clips into?
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:46 AM   #8
Ctrev21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post

Just got my 2017 RS back yesterday. Unfortunately this was not covered under warranty. I have 18k on it but it's 4 years old so warranty expired. Cost? $350 to repair.

I had a few questions on it but it's pretty simple to me, it was a horrible design. The biggest problem is that they used a roll tension spring that places too much pressure on the plastic pins that ride the rail. With the top up that pressure is always there.

I've had both sides done in those 18k miles. I only drive in summer in Wisconsin and probably would have had both fixed under warranty if I drove it daily.

Only good news that didn't mean much to me was the fact the repair will be covered for two years. based on my guestimate I'll probably put another 3k on it before my next failure. Expect this to be a constant problem with these parts all made out of plastic.

Design engineer should lose his job for this crap of a design.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
smithb

Drives: 2016 LT
Great thread. My passenger side one broke a couple weeks ago. And I was about to start a new thread as I didn't even know what to search for.

Thanks for the TSB and part numbers.

I'm mad it broke, and now I have to replace the window regulator! The plastic part is $80, but the regulator is $180! so $260 plus tax and it doesn't sound like the issue is fixed..

My plastic door stayed retracted after raising the top. For me, the ribbon spring was disconnected. I tried to reconnect it and as I messed with it, the whole door popped out of its track. When I pulled the door out, I saw the tab that sticks off the back was bent down and the plastic cracked. Not sure if I did that or if it was damaged by the mechanism and is what caused the failure.

Thinking binding caused the issue, I put some grease in the other track.

Anyway, I spent the last few weeks trying to find the part, but I was looking for just the door. Thanks again.

Please keep us updated on the cost to have the dealer fix it. I'm a little confused as I have a 16, maybe I'll just cut the third tab off.
smithb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017 rs., closing mechanism, convertible top