#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I'm currently on DCT 60s. I have had them on for a few weeks now, and will keep them on through the next 3 events I have scheduled between mid August and end of September. I bedded them in, and they have been surprisingly quiet on the street. No track time on them yet.

The grip is noticeably higher than OE pads, and the pedal travel/effort to stop is lower. I find them easy to modulate on the street. Tons of brake dust, but that's the be expected.

I normally swap pads between track and street setup. I was planning to swap between OE and DTC60s on the front and leave the DCT60 in the back permanently, but I might just leave the Hawks on for the street if this experiment goes well. I only put about 300-400 miles on the car per month excluding track days. Stock SC3 tires.

ive had them on for 3 months or so 2 events driven there and back and 2 race days no problem so far a little noisy on streets but not bad
Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #16
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
ive had them on for 3 months or so 2 events driven there and back and 2 race days no problem so far a little noisy on streets but not bad
Good to know, thanks!

I wonder how hard they are on the rotors during normal street use.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #17
kropscamaro16

not sure but i heard they are tough on rotors on the track lol ill send you photos if you want first one was bad now its more even
Old 07-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #18
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Well I use my car as a daily driver as well and I think in that particular scenario that the DTC60 and DTC70 would be a bad choice to use on the street especially if you are doing alot of stop and go driving.

I noticed that at the track the rotors get roughed up pretty good and the appear to smooth out somewhat after I put the stock pads back on and do some driving with them on the street.

With the initial BITE with the DTC60/70 pads being much higher I can see how that attribute wouldnt be all that desirable in constant stop and go driving with air flow being limited to help cool off the braking system due to the much slower speeds..
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #19
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Hawk lists the operating temperature of DTC-60 and DTC-70 as 400-1600°F. I suspect running them on the street would be below the minimum temperature and could cause premature pad and/or rotor wear.

For comparison Hawk HP+ operating temperature range is 100-800°F.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/compounds/motorsports

Quote:
i heard they are tough on rotors on the track
I have heard this too about Hawk DTC pads plus that they are harder to modulate for trail braking compared to stock pads but I will probably have to get better pads to go with my second wheel set with 100 treadwear G3R tires at some point. I am planning to try them with stock pads and SRF brake fluid first to see if they fade...guessing they will at least to some extent but hopefully they don't overheat badly enough to boil the fluid.

The G3Rs wore my rear StopTech Sport (309.14050 front, 309.17180 rear) brake pads extremely unevenly the first (and so far only) time I have run those tires...probably due to overheating...wasted half or more of the rear pad thickness and slightly boiled my 6 month old StopTech 600 brake fluid too after 2x 20 minute sessions. But those pads were quite a bit cheaper than stock pads and on stock SC3 tires they performed similarly to stock pads with similar wear rate just requiring a little more pedal pressure. The rears also wore several mm faster on top than bottom with stock SC3 tires but it was possible to flip them to extend their life. The rears have been backordered for 6 months though. These StopTech pads are not advertised for use with 100 treadwear tires so it is my fault for trying. Plus it was at the NOLA Indy Straight layout which is notorious for being hard on brakes.

There is also good 1LE brake pad info here:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475866

Last edited by cdrptrks; 07-30-2021 at 03:22 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Hawk lists the operating temperature of DTC-60 and DTC-70 as 400-1600°F. I suspect running them on the street would be below the minimum temperature and could cause premature pad and/or rotor wear.

For comparison Hawk HP+ operating temperature range is 100-800°F.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/compounds/motorsports
Even HP+ pads are unreasonably abrasive in street driving, that 100°F operating temperature claim notwithstanding.

If you look at the spider charts, the HP+ rating for low rotor wear is no better than what Hawk provides for the DTC family. My own personal experience with HP+ mirrors what Hawk's spider chart displays.

Norm
Old 09-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #21
thatdudescamaro

Drives: 21 SS 1LE
Anyone got part numbers for Hawk DTC 60 and 70 for front and rear on a SS 1LE?
thatdudescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #22
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudescamaro View Post
Anyone got part numbers for Hawk DTC 60 and 70 for front and rear on a SS 1LE?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475866

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
thatdudescamaro

Drives: 21 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Thank you.
thatdudescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #24
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I love the DTC-60s with G3Rs on track. At $400 per set the price point is great.
Best price is at Tire Rack.

Front Rotor rings get changed annually.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #25
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter's Run View Post
I have a 18 RS. Last weekend I made a couple of runs on the Tail of The Dragon and found the stock pads to start to fade after a couple of miles...back off for a little bit and they came back only to fade again. I am not at all impressed with the stock pads. What is a good pad to go to. I am planning on doing some outcrossing just to learn the car better. I have a Miata Track Toy and am running Carbotech on it. What are your suggestions to a good pad upgrade. Thanks!
I track my 16 RS and with the stock JL9 calipers and rotors I use G Loc R10 on the front and R8 on the back and they supply all the stopping power I need. My LGX doesn't have the top speed the LTs so it doesn't take much to get it slowed down. Changed out to Castrol SRF and never experienced any fade and trust me when I say I push the car and the brakes hard. Not gonna like the mess they make but its worth it. (coat the wheels and the dust and rubber wash right off) When I change my pads back and forth I put them in the same spot and make sure I bed each time.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #26
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Some things to note about your plan...

Any pad in the DTC family is incredibly hard on a cold rotor. If you run a DTC pad on the street, you'll eat a lip into the rotor very quickly.

Hawk dust is very corrosive. It's especially bad if it is dwelling on the wheel surface and then gets wet. It'll eat the finish/pit your wheel.

I mention this as a former DTC-30/60 Daily Driver victim.

The HT series is a different compound and doesn't have the same behaviors.
UPDATE

I had the chance to run the DTC pads on the street for short periods of time. I had to drive my car to and from the track a couple of times with my race setup since I did NOT have access to a trailer at the time. With the street tires on, I found that the DTC Pads DID NOT immediately apply pressure to the rotors (it felt like there was a small delay). I would imagine that is because they need more heat to work properly. I DID NOT do alot of stop and go driving on the DTC pads on purpose but the bottom line is, the car felt MUCH better on the street with the stock ZL1 pads as the brakes were initially much more responsive to the brake pedal when I was using street tires vs. using the DTC pads.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #27
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Word to the wise anyone using Hawk DTC60s on track. I ran them in the wet twice at Road Atlanta. Stock rotors and wheels on my 1LE. The brake dust turned into cement on my wheels, nearly impossible to get off. I've used every kind of acid and cleaner. Only thing that works is paste wheel cleaner and chipping away at it slowly. I switched back to OEM pads as this is my daily. Just be careful if you run the DTC60s in the wet.....
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #28
kropscamaro16

i just tracked my car sunday and it rained hard monday night so after work i came home and washed my car in the rain haha

my wheels are ceramic coated and i use this stuff so it wasnt too hard to get off but i was super worried

https://shinesupply.com/products/cool-guy