#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
This is how Dodge has been so successful. Dodge developed the Hellcat engine in 2015 for the Charger and Challenger and it sold well. They figured out later they can use that same engine in the Jeep Trackhawk, the Ram TRX and the Durango Hellcat. Even though the Demon was limited to 3300 units total, it made no sense that they developed all the race technology used in the Demon for only 3300 vehicles so they slowly rolled out pieces of that Demon technology into the Challenger and Charger over the next few years. You can't buy a new Demon anymore but you can buy a new Challenger Super Stock that has almost every single piece of the Demon on it. Its not profitable for a manufacturer to build and engine and only use it one vehicle for one year. GM is pretty stupid if they never plan to use the LT5 again.
Agree, you got to believe GM spend some $ for the research and development of the LT5. Then to only to use them in MY19 ZL1, would be financially irresponsible. Who knows, maybe that is what they will be using in the C8 Z06. I can see that happening. It would be nice to see it used in a special edition ZL1!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #16
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Agree, you got to believe GM spend some $ for the research and development of the LT5. Then to only to use them in MY19 ZL1, would be financially irresponsible. Who knows, maybe that is what they will be using in the C8 Z06. I can see that happening. It would be nice to see it used in a special edition ZL1!
Just use it in something, like you said its just not financially responsible to use it only once in one model year and one vehicle.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If they beef up the trans, offer it in the standard ZL1 (not the ZLE) but fully loaded with every available option, different color scheme and other aesthetics, and at a MSRP of say about $72K - $75K as a limited production then I say it would be a decent deal. That would put it right in the range of the GT500 price and power wise but with much better handling and less weight. But it might take steam away from the C8s so that might not be a good deal for GM.

As an alternative, throw a slight power boost at the ZL1. Now that the C7s are no longer in production GM should not have to worry about hood clearance issues and therefore can offer a bigger blower, different cam profile, freer flowing heads, etc. Get the ZL1 to around 700-730 and call it a day.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
If they beef up the trans, offer it in the standard ZL1 (not the ZLE) but fully loaded with every available option, different color scheme and other aesthetics, and at a MSRP of say about $72K - $75K as a limited production then I say it would be a decent deal. That would put it right in the range of the GT500 price and power wise but with much better handling and less weight. But it might take steam away from the C8s so that might not be a good deal for GM.

As an alternative, throw a slight power boost at the ZL1. Now that the C7s are no longer in production GM should not have to worry about hood clearance issues and therefore can offer a bigger blower, different cam profile, freer flowing heads, etc. Get the ZL1 to around 700-730 and call it a day.
That's why I want the LT5/A10....port injection is already there, with some performance parts available, and programming has been opened!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #19
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
That's why I want the LT5/A10....port injection is already there, with some performance parts available, and programming has been opened!
The only question is: Will it sell?

How many people are in the market to spend $70K+ on a non-essential vehicle? Of those, who will buy the ZL1 over the HC, RE, GT500, C8, etc? And then will it be enough to make it profitable to GM? It is too much of a gamble right now due to the Pandemic. And with the march away from gas powered vehicles, how many people will buy this car just to have an issue with fueling it in a few years? There are too many considerations and it is too high risk.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #20
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
They won’t do it. They are already past the camaro phase and are ready to move on.

With that being said. Current ZL1 65k so I would imagine an LT5 in a ZL1 would be more
Like 80-90k. Would it be worth it and sell? Yes and yes. I’d pay that without question. The GT500 is going for that much and is not even close to that performance level.

Still.... it won’t happen
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #21
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Just use it in something, like you said its just not financially responsible to use it only once in one model year and one vehicle.

See also, Cadillac Blackwing V8.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #22
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I guess we can assume since the Performance engineers have been moved to the EV group, the Caddies are moving to Alpha 2, and no rumors even of a 7th gen...that the Camaro is done for awhile (if not permanent) in 2023.
Do you think the Z will go out in a bang?
I could live thru another hiatus if I could get a 6th with the LT5/A10!
That is a great thought, however
GM will never do it.

In fact they have already ruined the 2020
and 2021 ZL1 and SS by installing the T93
encrypted TCM on the A10 cars.
The T93 will never be broken/unlocked
which means you cannot tune the transmission 🤬
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #23
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
That would be the ultimate Pony car for sure. Im in Id buy one.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #24
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWJR179 View Post
That is a great thought, however
GM will never do it.

In fact they have already ruined the 2020
and 2021 ZL1 and SS by installing the T93
encrypted TCM on the A10 cars.
The T93 will never be broken/unlocked
which means you cannot tune the transmission 🤬
Well they do offer it in a manual, so I wouldn't say the whole lineup is ruined.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:39 AM   #25
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
That would be the ultimate Pony car for sure. Im in Id buy one.
Exactly....I'm patiently waiting!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:03 AM   #26
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Unfortunately we are more likely to see a hybrid setup before seeing the LT5. I would buy a LT5 Zl1 if offered as my DD.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #27
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Here are my thoughts on the matter (please keep in mind we're all shooting in the dark, equally): it IS possible!
My reasoning will be partially backed up by a link provided below (if I can figure out how to attach a link). Some of you have already made good points and opinions on why they would or wouldn't drop an LT5 on the final year of the ZL1 and charge a premium (if they did, I do believe it would be a costly premium; think $75-80k. My guess would be around $78k, plus dealer addendum).
They already have the engine dialed in, and the cost to adapt it to the ZL1 would not be outrageous. It would not compete with the C8 because the new Vette has obviously moved to a proper sports car / mid-engine layout, not to mention a 2 seater vs a 4 seater. I don't see the LT5 as a viable option for the C8 because of size, weight and high center of gravity. I believe the fast C8 variation will lead to turbocharging since you can dramatically decrease the center of gravity on a turbocharged car based on the turbo location.
That would only leave a few choices: the LT5 would either die altogether, end up being dropped in a high performance truck/SUV, moved to a really high dollar / performance Cadillac, or being dropped in a ZL1 as a last hoorah to take out ALL the Domestic competition with less power and less weight. The biggest advantage to losing money in order to create this ZL1 would mean that they will open the door to using the Camaro nameplate in the future (if they chose to do so), since it would likely go out as champion of the domestic muscle/sports car brawl. Even as an alternative, they could use that "top dog" as marketing for upcoming sports variants from Chevy/GM to be taken seriously.
The new Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing will carry the current ZL1 LT4, current 6mt, and current A10. The recently discontinued CTS-V was a slightly detuned version of the LT4 (which is slightly debatable, since it could be exactly the same tuned LT4, but "showing" a lower output to allow the Z06 and ZL1 to hold the torch for being dedicated sports cars and not a luxury bruiser like the Caddy). If the new Caddy will be getting ALL the benefits of the current ZL1, it would make a solid case for an LT5 ZL1.
Anyway, this is just my opinion (equal to used toilet paper) or just wishful thinking.

http://www.caranddriver.com/cadillac/ct5-v-blackwing

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #28
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
The Blackwing adv twin turbo engine with 30psi of boost....
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote