Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 10-19-2021, 12:23 AM   #29
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
OP,

How is it going with the water spots? I have the same issue. Actually i think mine is worse. I have polished the car with the DA and i still have some water spot etching that one can only see under the sun at certain angles.

I was told to try wheel cleaner on a microfiber towel to try to remove the water spots then follow that with a compound and polish. Any suggestions here?

This situation is really irritating because I have no swirl marks whatsoever so the paint looks good until your eye catches the water spots.. the spots aren't even white really. They are just etching marks really. I don't want to have to pay to get the cr wet sanded and re clear coated again.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #30
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I've had success with SB3 Destroy on some nasty water spots over black paint, it's worth a try before you put a DA polisher to your paint.
I'd like to add some feedback. My 1LE's roof and truck were covered with etched spots from white flower pedals falling and drying on.

I bought this SB3 Destroy and it did nothing. I took it to the body shop I use and they showed me Meguiar's ScratchX. A small amount applied by hand too the test spot out. All areas were cleaned of spots.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #31
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
OP,

How is it going with the water spots? I have the same issue. Actually i think mine is worse. I have polished the car with the DA and i still have some water spot etching that one can only see under the sun at certain angles.

I was told to try wheel cleaner on a microfiber towel to try to remove the water spots then follow that with a compound and polish. Any suggestions here?

This situation is really irritating because I have no swirl marks whatsoever so the paint looks good until your eye catches the water spots.. the spots aren't even white really. They are just etching marks really. I don't want to have to pay to get the cr wet sanded and re clear coated again.
I know if I look hard enough I’ll probably find some I did not get out either. At this point I’m okay with it. When I made this post I had a ton that were pretty visible and needed to be removed. If the light has to shine a very specific way for me to see a blemish in the paint, at this point I no longer let it bother me. I’ve also started tracking my car so I just don’t let things like this bother me much anymore.

That being said, if you only polished instead of compounding and polishing than I would 100% try compounding and polishing instead of just polishing. I was not able to remove the spots with just a polish. Also this isn’t something that will require a wet sand and certainly won’t require a reclear. Something my research showed me though was wheel acid works extremely well however I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting that on my paint. Wheel acid is different than wheel cleaner.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #32
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I know if I look hard enough I’ll probably find some I did not get out either. At this point I’m okay with it. When I made this post I had a ton that were pretty visible and needed to be removed. If the light has to shine a very specific way for me to see a blemish in the paint, at this point I no longer let it bother me. I’ve also started tracking my car so I just don’t let things like this bother me much anymore.

That being said, if you only polished instead of compounding and polishing than I would 100% try compounding and polishing instead of just polishing. I was not able to remove the spots with just a polish. Also this isn’t something that will require a wet sand and certainly won’t require a reclear. Something my research showed me though was wheel acid works extremely well however I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting that on my paint. Wheel acid is different than wheel cleaner.

I know what you mean here. This car was thought me to be more accepting and stop worrying about small things.. yeah well i have wheel cleaner that is safe for clear coated wheels. I might try a small area.

I might try the scratch X shown earlier too.