Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Off course setup

I assume some people in here run a different set of wheels and tires when they're away from the course. Do you all also keep the track alignment in when driving on the street with that setup as well. My car is not a daily driver but I do like to drive it on the weekends. Finished my first season of autox (corded my set of G3s) and ive decided to get another set of wheels and tires for the street. Is it smart to keep the camber in for the street on the set of all seasons I pickup? Or would that end up ruining them?
beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I think that depends on how many track days you do per year, and how often.

Ideally I think it would makes sense to have a dedicated set of wheels/tires with -3deg camber setting in the front for the track, and switch for the street....

... But in reality, running -2.1 deg camber in the front, and using same tires/wheels on track and on the street make more financial sense if you track 3-5 times a year. I even kept my track brake pads in since June. But I only do ~5000 miles and 3-5 track days per year. Drive a different car in the winter. Less effort is better for me. Still making really good lap times, and not over taxing my setup, my time, or my wallet.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
beworthy3

This year I did 8 autoX events. I think next year I will mix it up between track days and autoX. I also do about 5000 miles per year away from the track. So im going to grab a less aggressive set of tires and wheels for colder months and when im not at the track. I just hope keeping the camber in does not kill them. Way to expensive to keep switching the alignment back after each event.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
HD_ZLE

Drives: 2020 ZLE
My opinion would be to keep your track alignment settings. I do the same on mine. I track about once a month do have done 16k miles in 2 years. I have ps4s on stock wheels for street that I cycle between with my dedicated track set. Wear on the street wheels has been great so far with 3.4 degree camber
Old 10-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
At 5000 miles per year and a few track days/autx you will not see any extra wear on the inside of the front tires with -2.1 camber. The track days in perticular eat up the outside way before the inside.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
beworthy3

Thanks for all the info, keeping the camber for the street set!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #7
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I track 5-7 times per year, 15-20 AutoX days per year and take the occasional road trip with my 1LE. I leave the track alignment on all year.

I have three sets of wheels/tires for street, autox, track.

The only time I ever had a wear issue was a half gone set of SC3's that made a road trip from Orlando to Boone, over to VIR for a weekend, back to Boone and then home to Orlando. That set corded the front inside shoulder.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6

Last edited by MatthewAMEL; 10-19-2021 at 09:29 PM.
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Getting a square set of street wheels/tires so you can rotate front to rear may be the answer if you want to keep the track alignment along with a lot of street driving and get better wear but it depends on your ratio of track time to street driving.

I did the strut mod and increased front camber from -2 4 to -2.8 (with 0 front toe) earlier this year and did about 7k highway miles and about 7 hours of track driving on stock SC3 tires and corded the inside edge of a front tire with a few 32nds remaining on the rest of it. The inner tread blocks had already worn smooth a few track hours before that so I figured it was going to happen. Previously at -2.4 I would typically wear evenly or cord the outside front edge with around 1/32" tread remaining but probably drove less street miles too.

My rear camber has always been at -1.4 and the center of the tire tends to wear a bit faster than the edges even though I run the recommended street pressure (32psi cold) on the door sticker and start around 28psi cold for the track as recommended by GM.

The previous partially used set of SC3 tires that were on the car when I switched to -2.8 also corded on one front inside edge. I do tend to use rumbly curbing at some tracks which probably doesn't help with the inner edge wear.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i track my car about every month or so and i dont drive much on streets i keep all my specs the same