Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #99
drstancpa
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Curiously, has anyone tried to just cut a small hole in the old regulator for the new clip? I was thinking of taking a dremel and routing out the hole for the new trim clip, but I wondered if someone else had tried and failed, or someone smarter than me knew why that was a really terrible idea. I figured worst case I'd have to have it replaced, which as of now I'm going to have to do anyhow.
drstancpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #100
drstancpa
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojet View Post
How does the trim panel pull out? Is it an upward motion or sideways? thanks
I've pulled mine off straight up.
drstancpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #101
KLG
 
KLG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstancpa View Post
Curiously, has anyone tried to just cut a small hole in the old regulator for the new clip? I was thinking of taking a dremel and routing out the hole for the new trim clip, but I wondered if someone else had tried and failed, or someone smarter than me knew why that was a really terrible idea. I figured worst case I'd have to have it replaced, which as of now I'm going to have to do anyhow.
I did not try that when I replaced mine, I removed the additional retaining clip.

My issue was the arm that holds the spring broke off the trim panel door on the LH side. But, I replaced both sides. I figured if the LH side failed, the RH side, being the old design, would probably fail soon too.

Anyway, after looking at it, you might could drill a pilot hole, then using a Dremel, shape it into a slot for that new 3rd clip. But it's close, I suspect the new regulators are shaped a little differently to accommodate the additional 3rd retaining clip. Regardless, you don't have anything to loose by trying.

I can see how the additional retaining clip gives the quarter trim panel a little more support, but I didn't think I needed the 3rd clip because my issue was the arm the holds the spring broke off the trim panel door.

Photo 1: Yellow circle shows the additional reinforcement on the arm that retains the spring. Green circle is the new 3rd retaining clip.

Photo 2: New quarter upper trim panel installed. Red circle is what remains of the 3rd retaining clip mount.

Photo 3: Regulator panel with the red circle showing about where a slot would be needed to accommodate the new 3rd retaining clip.

--KLG--
Attached Images
   
__________________
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #102
Plasar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 241
Angry

  • Putting the top down the other day and CCCRRRRUUUNNNCCCHHH!
  • Dropped off at Chevy dealer 9/20.
  • Dealer calls back 9/22 and says "ordered part, should be done EOD today or tomorrow, $850".
  • I'll keep you updated.

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #103
argus
 
argus's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT Duramax
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
In scrolling back a couple posts, there’s a 2021 that broke what I’m assuming is the most up to date part. When my 19 sits in the sun, on relatively warm day, both of mine creak and flex as the top goes up. I think it’s inevitable that they’ll both fail at some point. Not the end of the world, but disappointing. At least the parts don’t break the bank and are easy to replace.
Good point. I just saw that in post #86. But after seeing the below from KLG, there has definitely been some reinforcement added in conjunction with one of the part # revisions at some point in time. I was about ready to post a very similar photo. My part just arrived today, having the reinforced spring mount.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post

Photo 1: Yellow circle shows the additional reinforcement on the arm that retains the spring.



--KLG--

My photo follows, showing the old and new parts (of course the spring and mount are gone from the old one, yet to be located!). Will post back if the new design fails!
Attached Images
 
__________________
2017 2SS Convertible Auto Summit White/Jet Black (Wife’s) photos garage
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4WD CCSB SLT White Frost Tricoat/Dark Ash (Mine) photos garage
argus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #104
drstancpa
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Thanks! I have the trim piece coming in the next few days and will dry making the hole with a dremel and see. We're very well connected to several Chevy dealerships through a family member, and even leaning in for favors, absolutely no assistance from GM on this. Really, really ridiculous on a $50k car with less than 20k miles, but here we are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
I did not try that when I replaced mine, I removed the additional retaining clip.

My issue was the arm that holds the spring broke off the trim panel door on the LH side. But, I replaced both sides. I figured if the LH side failed, the RH side, being the old design, would probably fail soon too.

Anyway, after looking at it, you might could drill a pilot hole, then using a Dremel, shape it into a slot for that new 3rd clip. But it's close, I suspect the new regulators are shaped a little differently to accommodate the additional 3rd retaining clip. Regardless, you don't have anything to loose by trying.

I can see how the additional retaining clip gives the quarter trim panel a little more support, but I didn't think I needed the 3rd clip because my issue was the arm the holds the spring broke off the trim panel door.

Photo 1: Yellow circle shows the additional reinforcement on the arm that retains the spring. Green circle is the new 3rd retaining clip.

Photo 2: New quarter upper trim panel installed. Red circle is what remains of the 3rd retaining clip mount.

Photo 3: Regulator panel with the red circle showing about where a slot would be needed to accommodate the new 3rd retaining clip.

--KLG--
drstancpa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.