Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew145022 View Post
245/40ZR20 I know these will be useless. Rear has 275/35ZR20 I though I could uses these on the front of the MRRs and just get some new rears but I’m getting mix directions if I can use them or not.
Not really. 245/40-20 is tire industry (and Nitto specifically) approved for fitment to wheels that are 9.5" wide. It's the max-recommended wheel width combination for that size. Except for very short term use where you have no other choice and need to use the car, I wouldn't go 245/40 on one front side and 275/35 on the other, though.

245/40 on 9.5" will probably have a fair amount of visual 'stretch' - but not the crazy amount like you see on some tuner cars. It's still a legit fitment and certainly do-able at least for the short run while you decide on your 'final' tire and wheel combination(s).

For the record, over the past 45 years or so I've found that mounting tires on max-recommended wheel widths does not result in unusual tread wear. Not even on cars that never had TPMS to let you know if/when a tire has lost much pressure.

Norm
Old 10-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #16
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew145022 View Post
245/40ZR20 I know these will be useless. Rear has 275/35ZR20 I though I could uses these on the front of the MRRs and just get some new rears but I’m getting mix directions if I can use them or not.
I agree with the previous posts that you can't mix tire sizes on the same axle and you can't mount the rear tires on the OEM front wheel. The Motivo is an all-season tire which is good for a daily driver but unfortunately they don't offer a wide variety of sizes as shown in the chart below.

Replacing the cracked front wheel and front tire (if needed) is one option.

If you decide to buy the MRR 228 20x10 and 20x11 wheels then you could use your rear 275/35ZR20 tires on either the front or rear set of MRR wheels. You would need to buy a second set of 275/35ZR20 tires for the other two wheels. Unfortunately your current 245/40ZR20 tires are too narrow for the MRR wheels and the 295/30ZR20 is nearly 1" shorter than the 275 tire (that would probably cause problems with the traction control system).

A third option is to replace the OEM wheel and front tire (if needed) now and then save up for a set of summer tires to install on the MRR wheels later when you add power. Then you would have your OEM wheels and Motivo tires for winter and run the MRR wheels and stickier tires in warm months.
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote