Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #71
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
What if we're all wrong? What if they went back to true roots?

The name Z/28 will be forever linked with the Chevrolet Camaro. In reality, it was a simple three digit, alphanumeric GM sales code for a "Special Performance Package" that was introduced in December 1966.

GM wanted to challenge the Mustang on all fronts, SCCA included.

They created a stroker and a new engine platform.

What if they did that again?

6.2 with a 7.0 crank, boosted with ZR1 components?

ZR1 engine complete?

What if they took a 7.0L LS7 and de-stroked it, an N/A engine with 8000rpm limit...

Lightened up the Gen 6 more?

New Gen DSSV shocks? (Like Colorado based ones or even totally brand new)

Carbon Ceramic rotors.

What about putting in the best GM has to offer to kill all these specialty cars, Hell Cat, Demon, GT-350, GT-500. How many would jump on the GM band wagon then? Sales, making money, its the bottom line.

What about the software? Mode selection Z/28!! and all hell is unleased.

Oh we of little mind...Dream and dream big, for there is so many ways this can go down...
All of that would be great, but it won't happen in one car. The Demon is literally a one-trick pony. I'd argue that even the Hellcat cars are, essentially, one-trick ponies.

The GT350R is a beast, but it's ridiculously overpriced.

Al mentioned that GM wants to go after those cars....so I could easily see a new package, ala street legal COPO, definitely coming. That eliminates the need to modify their current cars....and target the drag only crowd....people who won't care entirely all that much about going left or right...
Old 01-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #72
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
All of that would be great, but it won't happen in one car. The Demon is literally a one-trick pony. I'd argue that even the Hellcat cars are, essentially, one-trick ponies.

The GT350R is a beast, but it's ridiculously overpriced.

Al mentioned that GM wants to go after those cars....so I could easily see a new package, ala street legal COPO, definitely coming. That eliminates the need to modify their current cars....and target the drag only crowd....people who won't care entirely all that much about going left or right...
That Demon is one quick one trick pony. How bout 9.94@136 w real drag radials, not the nitto jokes.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #73
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
That Demon is one quick one trick pony. How bout 9.94@136 w real drag radials, not the nitto jokes.
Well, if you threw 800hp into a Camaro, you could do that too...

I'm really not that impressed that they built a street legal COPO/Drag pak car....
Old 01-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #74
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

I'm really not that impressed that they built a street legal COPO/Drag pak car....
Would GM throw 800 hp in a factory Camaro?

No.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #75
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I like the Z/28 mode thought.
Just like the Hellcat... 2 keys.

How about a Camaro with a setting that unleashes/unlocks previously unheard of performance from the engine.

Restricted to pass emissions....But not so much when unlocked

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 AM   #76
396ssrat

That would be awesome.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:01 AM   #77
396ssrat

Quote:

Neither are Ford guys. The upcoming Lt5 @ 755hp is going to be nice. Also be nice if they upped the anti on that one.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:01 AM   #78
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That corvette was the 5th gen Z06, it wasn't stripped and wasn't a pure track focused car like many here say the Z/28 needs to be. That's kind of apples to oranges IMO.

I'd also say the 1LE is more akin to the Grand sport. The 1LE is everything the ZL1 is minus the LT4. The Grand Sport is everything the Z06 is less the LT4.
No, the 1LE is everything the SS is with a tighter suspension, hence the comparison to the Corvette with the Z51 package, the base ZL1 is an SS 1LE with the LT4 engine. The closer Grand Sport comparison would be the LT1 in the ZL1 1LE chassis.

The way that GM is marketing these cars now is a lot different than in the past. I'm just saying that I believe if they want to stay true to the Z/28 must be N/A theory, then it will be an N/A engine in the ZL1-1LE chassis, and priced less than the ZL1-1LE. They will sell fair amount of these

Now, if they put their priority on the Z/28 being the top dog halo car, then they will put the LT5 in that chassis and make it a street legal race car. It will be an awesome car, but they won't sell many of them. It's like we all want to see it, we all want to drive it, but not many are really going step up and put their money out to buy it. The 5th Gen showed us that.

Whichever way they go, the next Z/28 will fill one of those two gaps.

The C5 Z06 started life as a failed experiment. The '99-2000 fixed roof coupes were marketed as a less expensive "entry level" Corvette. It didn't sell but they did learn that the design lent itself better for road course performance, thus the C5 Z06 was born and sold well.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:14 AM   #79
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I will ask again, if GM does decide to make a 6th Gen Z/28 (I don't see it happening), where do you place it from a pricing and performance perspective? I believe they have all of their bases covered here.

The current track capable/track oriented Camaro line-up: V6 1LE, SS 1LE, ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #80
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I will ask again, if GM does decide to make a 6th Gen Z/28 (I don't see it happening), where do you place it from a pricing and performance perspective? I believe they have all of their bases covered here.

The current track capable/track oriented Camaro line-up: V6 1LE, SS 1LE, ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE
Lots have disagreed with me but I see the Z/28 placed above all the existing Camaros in both cost and track performance. And I firmly believe GM already has the technology and engines to do that one way or another.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #81
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Lots have disagreed with me but I see the Z/28 placed above all the existing Camaros in both cost and track performance. And I firmly believe GM already has the technology and engines to do that one way or another.
With what you are suggesting, an ~$85-90k Camaro is not out of the realm of possibility. ZL1 1LE is ~$67-70k. Add carbon ceramic brakes, a new higher hp engine and other tech...this could get pricey.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #82
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
GM has been testing motor's for the next sub 7 min lap camaro for the past year +, we think we are 1 year out from seeing the next car, this time it will be the new C8 first and with the Z*** soon after, IMO it will get a new motor, if it does it will be a new DOHC 4 vales per, why we think that is its where GM is heading, to keep up with both fuel economy and emissions requirements, This is why you see story's of a 7 speed and its why GM came out with the A10.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM   #83
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I don't want to be debbie downer but let's see if the Corvette ZR1 breaks the sub 7 minute lap before we start expecting a Camaro to do it. (For the record, I fully expect the ZR1 to break sub 7 or be right at the 7 mark worst case)
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #84
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Would GM throw 800 hp in a factory Camaro?

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Neither are Ford guys. The upcoming Lt5 @ 755hp is going to be nice. Also be nice if they upped the anti on that one.
There's nothing to really be impressed with. You build a car that with racing fuel, can hit 9's in the 1/4 mile....but requires 840 hp to do it..because it weighs what Rosie O'Donnell weighs..

It really is just a street legal version of their Hemi Drag car....and that's not exactly impressive to me. Now, their launch tech and the blower on the car are very impressive, those I really like. However, as the car itself, I'm not really impressed...

Especially since the Camaro ZL1 Drag Pak is only around 700-725hp and with those components, namely the re-tune, headers, and DR's...the car is already at 10 flat in the 1/4....

And that's a car you can still take the DR's off and get twisty turny with.... THAT's impressive...