Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Is all DOT-4 Fluid the same?

are all DOT-4 Fluid is the same? I was in Autozone and I noticed they had DOT-4 Prestone fluid and another brand which I can't recall off-hand. Have anyone used Prestone DOT-4 before? I was thinking about getting MOTUL 660 from amazon but I was curious if anyone used it before compared to MOTUL since I have track day coming up next week and its readily available.

Any suggestions is recommended.

Thanks

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
No, check the dry boiling point and wet boiling point. The ones sold at auto parts stores are usually lower than on the good stuff. I bought a generic water content brake fluid tester and my fluid still shows the lowest water content on the scale (less than 1%) after 9 months. It held up great at Eagles Canyon in 95°F heat with 20 minute sessions while another SS 1LE owner I talked to afterwards was still running the factory DOT3 fluid for some reason and got a long brake pedal (boiled the fluid) during the last session. Thankfully they backed off before losing all braking but that could have led to a crash. Track day inspection forms usually want you to change it every 6 months to 1 year. I haven't had any issues with Stoptech 600 fluid. Motul 600 has very similar boiling points but supposedly the plastic container can let more moisture in while it sits on the shelf compared to the Stoptech metal container. I use the Chevy black plastic track brake deflectors to help with cooling along with stock pads, stock 2 piece rotors, and the SS 1LE Brembo six piston brakes. Your brakes have less pad area so I guess they could get hotter than mine.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
No, check the dry boiling point and wet boiling point. The ones sold at auto parts stores are usually lower than on the good stuff. I bought a generic water content brake fluid tester and my fluid still shows the lowest water content on the scale (less than 1%) after 9 months. It held up great at Eagles Canyon in 95°F heat with 20 minute sessions while another SS 1LE owner I talked to afterwards was still running the factory DOT3 fluid for some reason and got a long brake pedal (boiled the fluid) during the last session. Thankfully they backed off before losing all braking but that could have led to a crash. Track day inspection forms usually want you to change it every 6 months to 1 year. I haven't had any issues with Stoptech 600 fluid. Motul 600 has very similar boiling points but supposedly the plastic container can let more moisture in while it sits on the shelf compared to the Stoptech metal container. I use the Chevy black plastic track brake deflectors to help with cooling along with stock pads, stock 2 piece rotors, and the SS 1LE Brembo six piston brakes. Your brakes have less pad area so I guess they could get hotter than mine.
Thanks for the insight.. I will most definitely check out the Stoptech 600. I didnt think about the moisture part. Your post is really appreciated

Old 06-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
cdrptrks

You're welcome! According to the brake manufacturer Raybestos, wet boiling point is 3.7% moisture and dry is 0%. Idk if the boiling point temperature decrease is linear as moisture % increases or not.

This is the type of moisture tester I mentioned. Only $7 so not sure on the accuracy level but I tested 3 year old 600 degree F DOT4 fluid on another car before changing it and it jumped between 2-3% moisture. I definitely wouldn't go much more than a year between DOT4 brake fluid changes on a car driven on track though. Also some high torque aftermarket race brake pads can generate more heat on track and require using the absolute most expensive brake fluid like SRF and titanium shims on heavy cars like the Camaro.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 06-08-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
cdrptrks

Oh and if you are flushing the fluid by yourself, it is worth getting a Motive power bleeder. I don't recommend putting the brake fluid in it though in case it sprays brake fluid onto your engine bay somehow, just using it for pressure and pouring brake fluid directly into the car's reservoir as needed during the procedure. A brake fluid catch bottle with magnetic and/or hanging loops prevents you from worrying about spilling the used brake fluid too.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547511
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Oh and if you are flushing the fluid by yourself, it is worth getting a Motive power bleeder. I don't recommend putting the brake fluid in it though in case it sprays brake fluid onto your engine bay somehow, just using it for pressure and pouring brake fluid directly into the car's reservoir as needed during the procedure. A brake fluid catch bottle with magnetic and/or hanging loops prevents you from worrying about spilling the used brake fluid too.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547511
All of this! Bleeding brakes by yourself is almost a joy with this setup
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Thanks i will sub to that thread! Unfortunately I wont be able to do it myself this time around because I waited to the last minute since I thought all track days would eventually be cancelled due to this pandemic. I just got a email notice Track Day is back on for Jun 20th! YAY! I wanted to be sure which fluid I should use BUT this was really helpful. I have MOTUL600 on the way to try out. Before I put the car up for storage, I will enjoy this bleeding project and get the power bleeder.. i assume it shouldn't take no longer than few hours to complete as a 1 man job.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #8
cdrptrks

It is a lot easier if you take the wheels off for the 6 piston calipers but not sure about your 4 pistons. A few hours should be enough time. I believe 2x 500ml bottles is technically enough but I usually use 3 since the old vs. new fluid color was so similar I couldn't tell when I had finished flushing the old fluid on each corner.