Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I'd never spend that much on a car so no. But $33K for my 1SS? Hell yeah it worth it. Already a ton of power. Cars that are too fast almost take the driver out of the equation. The car just does all the work.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #16
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I'd never spend that much on a car so no. But $33K for my 1SS? Hell yeah it worth it. Already a ton of power. Cars that are too fast almost take the driver out of the equation. The car just does all the work.
I found the exact opposite to be true. Cars that are too fast get drivers in trouble, reach their limit much faster, and require exponentially more skill to get them back once they break away at the limit.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I found the exact opposite to be true. Cars that are too fast get drivers in trouble, reach their limit much faster, and require exponentially more skill to get them back once they break away at the limit.
exactly...go jump in a F1 or Top Fuel & tell me how that turns out for ya.

Same ole shit.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #18
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Here’s what I posted in another thread on this topic....

I think the base car is priced right. At $74k it’s a bit above ZL1 pricing. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and my eye beholds a car that is better looking than the ZL1. Performance is still a bit of a wild card, but if it hits the marks that Carl Widman (Al Oppenheiser in a Ford polo, minus the beard ) has set, then it is gonna be an excellent performer. I expect that unless it is north of about 4,100 lbs it should see a better quarter mile than either Redeye or base ZL1. Widman has said mid-3s 0-60 and under 11 quarter. If it hits those targets it’s a win and worth $74k gauged by today’s standards. Hard to say how this will fair on the track versus the ZL1. Beating the ZL1 would definitely make it worth the $74k. Losing but just barely would also make it worth the price, in my opinion. Given how close ZL1 and GT350R are (basically a driver’s race, and somewhat track dependent.) I would expect it should win that too. So, if you’re talking a car that can best a ZL1 in the quarter and on the track, $74k is a good price. We can argue that it took 4 years to catch up, but when you’re standing on the tarmac discussing the last session, nobody gives a shit.

Where the train jumps the tracks is when they demand $18k for the carbon track pack. They do at least offer a lower priced, lower content track option. But for the price, all you get is a wicker and canards for the front splitter. That’s over-priced, but not as wildly over-priced as the full blown CFTP. CFTP is likely for hardcore trackers who will store it in their garage at the track and for collectors who want to be able to say “I checked all the boxes”.

Then there’s the stripes. I’m pretty sure that what Ford is doing here is saying...”painting stripes on is a pain in the ass...we really don’t want to do that...but there’s always some guy that says ‘decals are cheap. I gotta have my stripes painted on’....well fine then...$10k”. They would rather not do it, so they are pricing it so that most people will have the smarts to take a pass on it.

For the sake of fairness, when comparing the CFTP to ZLE we should include the $18k for the CFTP option, of course, but should probably exclude the price of the stripes. Unlike what I thought as a pre-teen, the stripes are not integral to the performance of the car. There will still be a huge price disparity between the two that may or may not bear out in performance difference. Again, time will tell. Until pro drivers get them together in the right setting, all we can do is guess and chest pound.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #19
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Looks like a cool car. Cars in that price range are out of my reach, so I can't really offer an evaluation of pricing I would not consider. I wonder if this is a signal that Mustang is going upscale, though.
Not with the current panel fitment, laughably thin paint, and a plastic interior they're not. Or at least I hope they're not. I think the base GTs are over priced as they sit, that's why Ford offers rebates on them even when it's a new model year.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I agree that very fast cars get inexperienced drivers into trouble, though I don't know that there is such a thing as a car that is 'too fast.'

I well remember my first WOT from a stop making a left turn with my Mazda twin turbo. I barely kept it out of the ditch, but I learned.

I chose the Camaro over the Mustang mainly due to the handling, the Camaro SS is just a better all around sports car than the Mustang GT, and the 1LE even more so. The GT is pretty one dimensional.

From what I've read, the GT500 has added lots of horses and torque, which is great for 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, but have they addressed the fact that the Mustang's handling is (according to Motor Trend) 4,000 years behind the Camaro?

If not then I wouldn't want one if it sold for $60K with the carbon package.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #21
snakecharmer

Drives: 2010 Corvette ZR1
Send a message via AIM to snakecharmer
I have owned a lot of Fords, and without question Ford dealers are THE greediest out there. I'd love to have one to go with my Camaro, but I will not pay over sticker.
2018 Camaro ZL1
snakecharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #22
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I agree that very fast cars get inexperienced drivers into trouble, though I don't know that there is such a thing as a car that is 'too fast.'

I well remember my first WOT from a stop making a left turn with my Mazda twin turbo. I barely kept it out of the ditch, but I learned.

I chose the Camaro over the Mustang mainly due to the handling, the Camaro SS is just a better all around sports car than the Mustang GT, and the 1LE even more so. The GT is pretty one dimensional.

From what I've read, the GT500 has added lots of horses and torque, which is great for 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, but have they addressed the fact that the Mustang's handling is (according to Motor Trend) 4,000 years behind the Camaro?

If not then I wouldn't want one if it sold for $60K with the carbon package.
Yup, from my experience, no such thing as a car that's too fast, just drivers that are too slow.
And another ditto on the handling of the 1LE, but I think Ford has made greater strides in their suspension with the 2018 upgrade.

And at that price IF I could afford it, I'd get into a Porsche (used of course) for the money.
I don't think very many of these cars will be seeing track days...more garage time though!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #23
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Couple friends spent northy of 95k for their Demons and they drive the hell out of them. Neither batted an eye at the price so I'm betting the same will apply to the GT500 buyer.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote