Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Post 2017 ZL1 vert RFTs (haters welcome)

* I'm at about 15K miles on my original Goodyear Supercar tires with my 2017 ZL1 vert.

* It's interesting how hard it is to gauge by sight if they have some life left in them - I know I should check the depth dohicky - because they are almost half slicks.

* In any case, there's not very much left, and I'm considering a nice long drive in the West (to a national park in say Utah or Arizona) or even another cross-country drive adventure to the East Coast (this will be #3), so I want to start fresh.

* I am a big believer in Run Flat Tires (RFTs) - I'm a former BMW driver with RFT from the factory, and since there is no spare in our Camaro 6, and I certainly don't want to get stuck in the middle of the Nevada/California/Arizona/New Mexico/Utah/<Insert Western state here> desert - even though the ride is crap and they are expensive.

* So, I just plunked down nearly $2K all included at Costco and got some Michelin PS3s for the front (275-30-20, down 10) and Michelin PS4 Ss for the rear (305-30-20 stock size) - details below.

* Look forward to hearing any comments about going down 10 on the fronts in width, how there are 2 x different generation Pilot Sports in front and rear, how they are expensive, and/or how nuts I am for going RFT. Lovers and haters welcome!

* I will just note: there were only 2 x other rough matches, Bridgestone Potenza S007 RFTs ($500-600/tire, too expensive), and Pirelli PZ4 RFTs (fronts out of stock at Tire Rack). In both cases, I think I had to go to 275 in the front, but I might have liked to and been able to go to 315 in the rear.

Attached Images

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have 2753020 3053020 on my 20x10 20x11 wheels but i hate runflats they suck and the performance compared to regular michelin ps4s is probably alot
Old 09-05-2020, 03:48 AM   #3
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Subscribed.
Please share your experience with Michelin RFT.
I also want to go with the Michelins next year.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
Callaway_1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 convertible
I have nothing to add, but that sounds like so much fun! I could drive my 2018 ZL1 'vert all day, day after day. I would love to take it on a road trip like that.
Callaway_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
3Putt

Drives: 2020 SS
I'm a run flat fan as well. Also came from BMW's that came with A/S runflats.

I put A/S non-run flats on the SS and regretted it on the drive home. The car felt mushy and braking was noticeably affected. I'm going back to run flats.

3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Plasar

Thumbs up

Thx for the feedback Akron’s, SOFO, 3Putt - much appreciated.

Callaway, you too, and you made me look up my first post after that NJ to CA trip. Lots of fond memories. Pics and stops along the way.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561709

I just watched a guy and his dad taking a real, slow trip on Route 66. This is wanderlust and the American Road trip at its best.

Route 66
Old 09-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
Plasar

RFT Watchers:
  • I went to Costco yesterday for my install of Michelin RFTs.
  • Even though I made an appointment 1.5 weeks in advance, and I had a 1:00 PM installation appointment, they said it would take 1.5 to 2.0 hours to complete my tire swap. Luckily, Costco has a lot of distractions: 77" LG OLED TVs, good booze, I got a flu shot, and I almost got a hearing test.
  • About 30-45 min in, Benny called from Tires, and said he could not install my 275-30-20 front tires. Costco cannot go DOWN in tire width, however, they could go UP in tire width as much as 3%. This makes sense - they have upsized my tires in the past.
  • Benny's proposed solution - he could custom order my Michelin RFTs for the front in the correct 285-30-20 size. Yes, I was all for this. Benny made this happen, and it will just take 5 days to receive the tires. They'll keep my 305-30-20 rear tires in the shop.
  • It will probably take another 2 or 3 weeks to get this done, unless Benny slides me into the install schedule without the 1.5 week lead time - he said he would try, as I waited in line for my install already.
  • I never knew that Costco could possibly order any tires that are NOT listed on their web site. So this is a game changer. I love Costco service (besides the waiting in line sometimes), their prices are excellent, they have quality brands. Benny (and I think the other tire techs) had Michelin patches on their shirts - something like Trained Qualified Michelin Installer. I will try this again in the future. I wanted to get 315-30-20 in the rear - maybe next time, they can special order this for me.
  • Note: I am still installing 2 different Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure, or RFT) tires in the front (Pilot Super Sport) and rear (Pilot Sport 4S), but the treads look similar and I'm not worried.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Plasar

Thumbs up

RFT Folks:
  • Installation complete!
  • I am very glad in the end to know that Costco was able to get the OEM sized front Michelin RFTs to add to the ordered OEM sized rear Michelin RFTs.
  • They inserted me into the installation queue and it took about 1.5 hours.
  • Results: I'm surprised at how much the RFTs feel like normal tires at 32 cold PSI and warming to about 35 PSI. The ride seems the same as my original Goodyear Eagle Supercar tires, however, they were worn to between 2/32 (front) and 4/32 (rear) of tread.
  • I'm going to jack up the pressures to what I usually run - maybe 38-40 PSI cold - and see what the ride is like.
  • Only thing I didn't like - the Costco installer got some sort of goop all over the tire sidewall and on the wheel... at first I thought he might have scratched the wheel.
  • And to celebrate, BevMo just happened to have Old Forrester 1920 bourbon, recommended by Jonny Lieberman/Motor Trend as a great bourbon at the $60 range. He's right - dark in color, 115 proof, this is so flavorful, smooth, but then packs a serious punch. I like that Old Forrester has a range of historical recipes - 1870, 1897, 1910, 1920 - as well as other cool choices.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Plasar

Lightbulb

Quick update on TPM and pressures:
  • Thanks to Costco automated tire air pump, I set all tires to 38 PSI.
  • When starting my car today, I had 3 x tires at around 37 PSI and 1 x tire at 34 PSI.
  • I was a little irked at the 34 PSI... but after about 3-5 mins of driving, that tire jumped up, and then all tires stabilized to 37 PSI.
  • I think the root cause is that TPMs need to be driven for a few mins to accurately show pressure - I remember now that my BMW and/or Merc used to say "I can't display tire pressure until you drive for a few minutes".
  • Now I'm happy - all tires the same pressure - woo hoo!!!

Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
Plasar

Smile

Final update:
  • Now all tires are steady at 38 PSI warm.
  • The ride is FINE even with 38 PSI in Tour mode.
  • The ride is FINE even with 38 PSI in Track mode - firmer and bumpier for sure, but that's what Track does.
  • This Magnetic Ride Suspension is EPIC - in my previous M3 and C63, run flats were noticeably "rougher", not so with the Camaro. When your shocks are adjusting 1,000 times per second to the road to provide the ride you dialed into your mode, that is the Secret Sauce!
  • Thus, anyone hesitating on RFTs because of ride who has MRS - don't worry, go RFT!

Old 11-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
Wow you run really high pressures. I had RFT's in my Viper as the first set of tires on it and I didn't know any better. When I replaced them, I got a much better understanding of what tire feel was when driving.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i wouldnt let costco or sams club touch my car again let alone my camaro you are brave sir!

want to sell me your old goodyear tires? lol
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I just switched my summer wheels with the run-flats to the winter all-seasons this past weekend.
I had to smear the treads with marine grease and keep a cordless leaf blower running in the back seat to facilitate a seamless transition
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:45 PM   #14
Soon2be 21SS

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS Convertible
[QUOTE=Plasar;10889648]Final update:
  • Now all tires are steady at 38 PSI warm.
  • The ride is FINE even with 38 PSI in Tour mode.
  • The ride is FINE even with 38 PSI in Track mode - firmer and bumpier for sure, but that's what Track does.
  • This Magnetic Ride Suspension is EPIC - in my previous M3 and C63, run flats were noticeably "rougher", not so with the Camaro. When your shocks are adjusting 1,000 times per second to the road to provide the ride you dialed into your mode, that is the Secret Sauce!
  • Thus, anyone hesitating on RFTs because of ride who has MRS - don't worry, go RFT!

Thanks for the detailed description of your search for RFT. Just picked up my 2021 SS with Goodyear F1 summer only tires. You are so right about the magnetic ride suspension smoothing out the RFT ride. I’ll be switching to all season RFT’s as this is my daily driver. Probably go with the Michelin’s RFT. Any update from you on the Michelin’s ride quality? Thanks
Soon2be 21SS is offline   Reply With Quote