#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #15
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Obviously, you’ve never had a blowout in a remote area in the middle of the night.
Agreed - And even during the day in a non-remote area, without a spare it's likely you're looking at getting towed, with all the cost and hassles involved. Driving home or to a tire store seems worth it.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
In the world of Cell Phones, OnStar and TPMS sensors is a spare tire really that important.

I carry a plug kit and an air pump. Should do for most leaks short of a major blow out.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I carry a plug kit and an air pump. Should do for most leaks short of a major blow out.
Add a jack and lug wrench and in the more populated areas, work out a deal with a rideshare driver to tote your blown tire/wheel to the tire shop and then get a ride back (they will take your luggage if you're going to the airport - keep a bag to put the wheel into so it doesn't get their car dirty and they will likely have zero issue with it - just be sure to order a larger vehicle). Certainly less than the cost of a tow and more manageable than having to try and carry a spare and possibly do damage to the top when it's down.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
In the world of Cell Phones, OnStar and TPMS sensors is a spare tire really that important.
Believe me, this is not my first line of defense. I have the typical pump and goo, and my preferred plug kit. I don’t have or want Onstar. TPMS sensors are great for small leaks (only). If the car needs to be moved via flatbed, the front spring spacers need to be installed (at least that’s my understanding), and you also need to put your car in someone else’s hands... no thank you.

Since I plan to take LONG trips when I semi retire, a spare that can run at 81 MPH for extended distances is key (for me).

Last edited by Chutzpah; 08-19-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #19
3Putt

Drives: 2020 SS
I'll take pictures tomorrow. I put the spare in the trunk and there's plenty of room to spare. (no pun).

I took out the trunk floor liner, put in the Modern Spare tire, then put the liner on top of the spare. With the top down I've got manbe a 2 inches clearance above the spare and all kinds of room on the sides. I'll use a magnet to tool the safety partition and leave it down all the time. It looks like I'll end up with more useable space, if that is possible.

The ass end of the car didn't seem to drop any from the weight and I'm sure I'll never notice the extra 40 lbs. I was on the fence but now glad I went ahead. I'll anchor it in and forget about it. I got the full kit with jack and tools.

Last edited by 3Putt; 08-23-2020 at 06:12 AM.
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:21 PM   #20
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
This thread is making a strong case for sticking with run-flats.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
3Putt

I've had all kinds of run flats on all types of cars. Any sidewall damage and you're walking. To each his own. A flat with a run flat, in town is great, anywhere else I'd rather throw on a spare and try to plug the tire when I get back to civilization.

I will run a wide summer only run flat in the warmer months and then switch to the reg tires in the winter. The softer sidewalls on the reg tires is pretty noticeable. Handling and stopping are a bit diminished but it rides great on the highway and the pot holes around town don't seem as bad.

Like I said, to each his own.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Believe me, this is not my first line of defense. I have the typical pump and goo, and my preferred plug kit. I don’t have or want Onstar. TPMS sensors are great for small leaks (only). If the car needs to be moved via flatbed, the front spring spacers need to be installed (at least that’s my understanding), and you also need to put your car in someone else’s hands... no thank you.

Since I plan to take LONG trips when I semi retire, a spare that can run at 81 MPH for extended distances is key (for me).
Speaking of spacers (which you don't need anymore even for tows) these cars are so low that when you do have a complete flat you may not even get the jack under the car. Long trips with no trunk space kind of sucks too.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #23
Chutzpah

Quote:
Speaking of spacers (which you don't need anymore even for tows) these cars are so low that when you do have a complete flat you may not even get the jack under the car. Long trips with no trunk space kind of sucks too.
As far as the spring spacers, the owners manual says the SSLE and ZL1 (non 1LE) may need them installed. Don’t want to find out... but will carry anyway.

The verts trunk storage leaves much to be desired, so carrying a tire for a road trip isn’t really impacting how I’d travel. A couple duffel bags strapped in the back seat will work nicely.

You do make an interesting point about jacking with a flat. The jack provided by modern spare is a toss up as to whether it will fit or not (with a flat, on ZL1). However, the structure is so rigid I know you can jack from a different pinch weld and in effect, lift the entire side of the car some. I’ll add a block of wood or structural foam to my kit... jack a bit, install block, lower jack, move jack to appropriate location for wheel removal.

A spare may not be for everybody, I just know that waiting for help is not my style.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #24
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
This thread is making a strong case for sticking with run-flats.
Yep, If I had anything but a ZL1, I’d stick with run flats...
Old 08-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #25
3Putt

Here are pics of the spare in the trunk with the top down. Note there are already cutouts for tools or tow hook.

We come from long distance motorcycle touring. Even with the top down and lugging a spare tire, we still have more room than we've had in years.

In the blurry shot I was trying to show how much clearance you've got. One shot shows spaced gained on each side and now there's a pretty decent size place for the groceries. The silver box looks important so I'll protect that and anchor the tire down. We travel in a lot of remote places, I like to be able to at least try and get myself out of trouble.

The last shot is a set of w/t for sale up the road. I don't need them but I want them...
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #26
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
I've had all kinds of run flats on all types of cars.

Any sidewall damage and you're walking. To each his own. A flat with a run flat, in town is great, anywhere else I'd rather throw on a spare and try to plug the tire when I get back to civilization.

I will run a wide summer only run flat in the warmer months and then switch to the reg tires in the winter. The softer sidewalls on the reg tires is pretty noticeable. Handling and stopping are a bit diminished but it rides great on the highway and the pot holes around town don't seem as bad.

Like I said, to each his own.
Good point, didn’t think of that...I don’t have much experience w/ runflats.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #27
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Here are pics of the spare in the trunk with the top down. Note there are already cutouts for tools or tow hook.

We come from long distance motorcycle touring. Even with the top down and lugging a spare tire, we still have more room than we've had in years.

In the blurry shot I was trying to show how much clearance you've got. One shot shows spaced gained on each side and now there's a pretty decent size place for the groceries. The silver box looks important so I'll protect that and anchor the
tire down. We travel in a lot of remote places, I like to be able to at least try and get myself out of trouble.

The last shot is a set of w/t for sale up the road. I don't need them but I want them...
Nice!

Where’s your tow hook? Looks to be missing.

The silver box is an over complicated amp for your stereo, chimes etc. Looking into your trunk, on the right side, is one of a few fuse blocks. You’re right, you want want to protect the amp ....and the fuse block w/ connector.....
Old 08-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #28
3Putt

Cool, thanks for the info!