Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
v6 Tuning Houston

I see the many threads asking about tuning shops in area X, now I’m here asking for the v6.

I’m down the street from PowerFab and hear nothing but good about them, but I also have seen Overkill with their specialization with v6’s and super chargers for the them and can’t help but wonder whether one route is better then the other.

I have yet to go to PowerFab to ask about their tuning and pricing, I know Overkill’s got their description of what gets done and price set out on their page but the only downside I can think of is they’ve got a lot of work so I keep hearing people say it could be up to a few weeks before they get something back regarding a retune. Meanwhile I could take my car down the road and have them do more hands on vs remote work.

Maybe I’m overthinking it but the tune would probably be my most expensive mod. On the upside I have a 2016 so I can save like $200 I think due to not having the locked TCM
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I've thought about this as well. Going to a hands on local tuner, or getting a canned tune from someone who specializes in the V6. For me I like the idea of having a handheld, so I can flash it back to stock for whatever particular reason. On the other hand getting hands on treatment from a good tuner would probably give you a slightly better overall tune
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I've thought about this as well. Going to a hands on local tuner, or getting a canned tune from someone who specializes in the V6. For me I like the idea of having a handheld, so I can flash it back to stock for whatever particular reason. On the other hand getting hands on treatment from a good tuner would probably give you a slightly better overall tune
I haven’t had experience before with tunes or handhelds but I’m starting to lean towards local, I don’t see myself leaving the area for the foreseeable future so that’s a plus

Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I haven’t had experience before with tunes or handhelds but I’m starting to lean towards local, I don’t see myself leaving the area for the foreseeable future so that’s a plus
As long as you don't mind not having the ability to flash back to the stock tune (like when going to the dealership for warranty work) then a good custom street and dyno tune from a good tuner is certainly the best bet IMO.

My tuner (and personal friend) who tuned my 700 hp LS1 Camaro, could probably tune my V6 as well, and really dial it in perfectly, better than any email tune. Both have their pluses and minuses I guess
Old 06-10-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
As long as you don't mind not having the ability to flash back to the stock tune (like when going to the dealership for warranty work) then a good custom street and dyno tune from a good tuner is certainly the best bet IMO.

My tuner (and personal friend) who tuned my 700 hp LS1 Camaro, could probably tune my V6 as well, and really dial it in perfectly, better than any email tune. Both have their pluses and minuses I guess
Definitely, though for me I’m out of warranty at 84k miles so guess there’s going back for me lmao

Old 06-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
If you are close to PowerFab then good for you. They are top notch for Camaros.

I question why you want at tune? Expecting improvements over the GM tune or are you doing mods that require it?
Old 06-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Definitely, though for me I’m out of warranty at 84k miles so guess there’s going back for me lmao
Yeah at 84k I'd say so lol. BTW, have you had any issues at that mileage? I rarely see these cars approaching the 100k mark yet, so when I do I'm always curious how they're holding up
Old 06-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Yeah at 84k I'd say so lol. BTW, have you had any issues at that mileage? I rarely see these cars approaching the 100k mark yet, so when I do I'm always curious how they're holding up
We have quite a few around here way above the 100k mark doing well. I've been pretty impressed with the LFX/LGX motor longevity.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We have quite a few around here way above the 100k mark doing well. I've been pretty impressed with the LFX/LGX motor longevity.
That's good to hear! After experiencing the infamous A8 shudder, I've started to wonder about this car. And given how some GM vehicles are, you just never know unfortunately lol
Old 06-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If you are close to PowerFab then good for you. They are top notch for Camaros.

I question why you want at tune? Expecting improvements over the GM tune or are you doing mods that require it?
Not trying for any crazy power, all I have is a k&n intake and the axle back portion of a ZL1 exhaust. I did change the stock 18s to SS staggered 20s so maybe they can adjust the speedo reading if I ask. No lights so far without tune, sometimes when I’m WOT it will raise the RPM’s like 100-200 before switching gears which started happening after the intake was installed. I also had the AFM valves deleted when I had the ZL1 exhaust put on so maybe they can adjust something for that?

I mostly hear that people have their car “woken up” by the tune especially when done with intake and exhaust, I got attracted by the description on Overkill’s website which details what they would do. I’m mainly wanting a sportier feeling I guess.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #11
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
So far so good, only issue I’ve had that was the cars fault was the shudder at around 71k which I paid for the flush at 73k. Haven’t had any issue since then and hopefully don’t have any soon. I do have an extra crate of the updated ATF and a transmission filter sitting at home so if it happens I’m gonna use that. There’s a guy on the Facebook v6 group that’s got like 121k miles but his engine blew I think, I wanna say he said it was his fault but I can’t remember but he did get a new engine and is still going

Other then that, the issues I’ve had were all caused by previous owner or back when I hydroplaned into a median lmao

Tags
lgx, overkill, powerfab, tune