Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #43
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I owned an E92 M3, too (the one with the V8) and the engine made glorious sounds at 8k rpm. But it was only enjoyable driving at 9/10ths+. I also recently sold my 2016 Focus RS (awd 4cyl turbo) and it was modified and would likely beat my 1LE to 60mph, so it was quick. But that motor was the opposite of the M3's motor. All of the power was down low, and even though it had a redline of 6800 there was no point in shifting beyond about 5800. It also sounded like a blender.

The LT1 is the Goldilocks engine between the two extremes. Great low end torque but keeps pulling until redline. I take my 1LE on road courses pretty often and running through the gears to redline never disappoints me. It sounds and feels like it's spinning faster that the indicated 6500 rpm.

I was originally planning to get an M2 or 981 Cayman S, but after driving the 1LE and reading up on it the rest is history. When I'm on the track and blow by the cars I almost bought it puts a smile on my face.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #44
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I will say the LT1 revs smoother and easier than either one of the 2 LS2's or the LS3 I owned.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #45
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Thank you all for the feedback guys!! I think I am using my experience with my LS3 which does fall a little flat on the top end and assuming the LT1 is similar.

I am glad that I likely dont need to be concerned, as that really was my only worry.
I am excited for my first test drive.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #46
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_Missing_Ape View Post
I owned an E92 M3, too (the one with the V8) and the engine made glorious sounds at 8k rpm. But it was only enjoyable driving at 9/10ths+. I also recently sold my 2016 Focus RS (awd 4cyl turbo) and it was modified and would likely beat my 1LE to 60mph, so it was quick. But that motor was the opposite of the M3's motor. All of the power was down low, and even though it had a redline of 6800 there was no point in shifting beyond about 5800. It also sounded like a blender.

The LT1 is the Goldilocks engine between the two extremes. Great low end torque but keeps pulling until redline. I take my 1LE on road courses pretty often and running through the gears to redline never disappoints me. It sounds and feels like it's spinning faster that the indicated 6500 rpm.

I was originally planning to get an M2 or 981 Cayman S, but after driving the 1LE and reading up on it the rest is history. When I'm on the track and blow by the cars I almost bought it puts a smile on my face.
Well said, brother. I'm a diehard BMW M guy. I drove this 1LE and it was game over for BMW. I love the way this 1LE drives, sounds, and feels. The older I get the more I crave build quality, and dealer service. I HAD the best dealer service of ANY brand I have ever owned with my 1LE. YES, a Chevy. It blows my mind. Especially after a recent interaction with my new, local BMW dealer for service. It makes me never ever look at BMW. Anyway, nothing can touch the SS 1LE for the money, but for us "older" folks it makes me wonder what can be next in terms of GT and dealer service...just deliberating....

Last edited by JK001; 01-12-2019 at 07:54 PM.
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #47
mggeyer

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss 1le
I certainley understand your desires for a high reving motor. They are fun! I have a 90 Zr-1 that has a Haibeck motor 510 hp and my shift light is set conservatively at 7300 rpm and it is glorious and smooth as butter. It also has a singlemass fly wheel and 410's and spins up quickly. I love driving it but I also have a 2017 SS 1LE and it is THE best car I have ever owned. Not only is the LT1 a jewel of an engine, the chassis is unbelievable. YOu mentioned a desire for a LS7 , if you look at a comparison between the two engines they are virtually identical up to 6000 then the LS7 walks it. The direct injection allows with variable valve timing the incredible torque the LT1 demonstrates all through the rpm range. The car is fantastic the way it is but after adding a CAI, kooks headers , green cats , AWE exhaust and a tune it is just a monster. I raced in SCCA & Nasa for about 10 years and have had the opportunity to drive some incredible cars and with that i can say , I cant imagine anyone who loves performance cars would drive a 1LE and not come away SUPER impressed! I still occaisonally instruct and on the track the car is just fantastic. The E diff lets you get on the power extremely early at corner exit. Tracks with really long straights may be its achilles heal going against super cars, but shorter tracks will have you embarrasing these same cars. I have PDR video to prove it. Can you tell I LOVE this car? Bargain of the decade!
mggeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #48
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
In the last 3 years I’ve had and tracked an e90 m3 (s65 with a raised 8200 redline), c6z, and an e46 m3 race car with an 8k redline, and finally landed on the 1LE due to running cost and reliability (read warranty).

Both m3’s were very fun cars with those redlines being so high. The e9x was almost gutless with being over 3500 lbs with less than 300 ftlb torque. The e46 was a hoot because it was less than 3000 lbs. Both very neutral, balanced cars that you could wring out without I’ll effects.

The c6z was a blast, but was very snappy on track, and for an intermediate driver at that time wAs just too much car. To get it’s track reliability to where it needed to be, the oiling system needed to be addressed, heads redone and some other bits to be complete. 10k on top of the 35k+ purchase price is a lot for a track car.

I stumbled upon the 1LE and after my first track day with it i was blown away. Faster lap times than all three of those cars in stock form. The motor is special and has been super reliable this season. Very balanced and neutral without feeling like it’s going to kill you. I’m definitely impressed with this chassis. Don’t think you can go wrong.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #49
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Thanks for the reply man. Have you owned cars in the past with engines of different character than the LT1? Going from LS3 to LT1, I am sure I would be happy as I believe the torque curve is even better. What concerns me is the very low redline from what I have come accustomed to recently(8300 RPM), and the fact the LT1 is not the easiest to mod with cams etc compared to the LS3 to get a change in character. .
I don't know if this can help you.
I replaced my 5th gen Camaro ZL1 580hp for a Corvette Stingray Z51 with 465 HP. The Stingray even without a S.C. was faster than my S.C. ZL1. Both of them stock, I imagine that probably the light weight of the Stingray made a huge difference.

My 5th gen ZL1 had a very reliable powertrain, I can't say the same about my Stingray with the LT1. Prior powertrain felt bulletproof.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #50
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL3 View Post
I’ve never seen a head to head comparison of the GT350 and the SS 1LE. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that one exists.
Same here, I haven't been able to find nothing related, but just by individual performance numbers from C&D and MT that I believe that the Camaro SS1LE and the Stingray Z51 would smash the Shelby GT350 (non R) at the track. For less cost.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 AM   #51
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

During '11 there was a H2H on MT of the BMW M3 (V8) vs the new '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with the track package and 3.73 rear. I was amazed to read that the American Mustang was even with the mighty M3. I purchased the Mustang with the same consfiguration, and was able to go H2H vs the same model M3 (V8) which had modified after market brakes, after several laps I left the track because my brake fluid boiled.

I'm amazed that American cars like the Camaro SS1LE, Zl1, Cadillac V, Corvette, Viper ACR and the actual Mustang Shelby. Are beating on the track more expensive Euro and Japanese exotic cars, for much less $.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera