Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #15
Skyman2112

Drives: 2016 2SS blue velvet w/blk stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkSS1LE View Post
I had an issue with my SS sedan where the battery would drain when it sat for a couple weeks. I ended up putting the car in transport mode when I knew it was going to sit. If I recall correctly, and I could be mistaken, it only left the vital components “active” and reduced the parasitic drain.
oh really. Well i had this car over a year and never had any trouble so its really annoying that the dealer said i needed a new battery and now suddenly i have a problem. Im betting they messed something up when they installed it.
Skyman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I had mine go dead and I got off of my multimeter of 4.58 volts, I took it to the dealership and it had 400 CCA instead of the usual 760 CCA and I got a new battery, and after going out and remote starting it here a few minutes ago my radar detector has that battery reader feature and it went from 13.1 down to 12.2 volts, and I still notice that it is still sluggish on starting so I will keep an eye on it, good thing it has about 6K on the odometer, but if it comes down to it, I will shell out the money for a better battery, I have interstate batteries in my 2012 RAM 2500 so I know those batteries are GTG.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3537 View Post
I had mine go dead and I got off of my multimeter of 4.58 volts, I took it to the dealership and it had 400 CCA instead of the usual 760 CCA and I got a new battery, and after going out and remote starting it here a few minutes ago my radar detector has that battery reader feature and it went from 13.1 down to 12.2 volts, and I still notice that it is still sluggish on starting so I will keep an eye on it, good thing it has about 6K on the odometer, but if it comes down to it, I will shell out the money for a better battery, I have interstate batteries in my 2012 RAM 2500 so I know those batteries are GTG.
I had a problem of a battery going dead on one of my motorcycles, a BMW with an electrical system as high tech as many cars. It turned out there was a substantial parasitic drain from two of my accessories even with them turned off. So, if you are running any electrical accessories, like a dash cam, radar detector, gps, etc., one or more of them could be the culprit, if you leave them connected when parked for extended periods.

Again, measuring the drain with simple digital multi meter set to ohms is the way to find out. Any drain you measure is "per hour" so that is how it adds up.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Again, measuring the drain with simple digital multi meter set to ohms is the way to find out. Any drain you measure is "per hour" so that is how it adds up.
Just note that the electrical system never shuts down 100% and it takes a while after turning off the ignition and shutting the doors to go to 'sleep' mode. So the drain you measure will change over time. I also believe the system can 'wake up' under certain conditions, but I'm not exactly sure what triggers that.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
2 dead battery replacements here. Guess i need a battery tender? I have never used one before, seem pretty simple.
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #20
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Just note that the electrical system never shuts down 100% and it takes a while after turning off the ignition and shutting the doors to go to 'sleep' mode. So the drain you measure will change over time. I also believe the system can 'wake up' under certain conditions, but I'm not exactly sure what triggers that.
That's a really good point. I think measuring any drain in sleep mode is the way to go, since that is the condition the car would be in while sitting there parked. .
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chross12 View Post
2 dead battery replacements here. Guess i need a battery tender? I have never used one before, seem pretty simple.
You too? I had two batteries get replaced within the last year. I took my SS2 in for service today and the battery failed again. I will have to leave it with them so they can perform a parasitic drain test of the electrical components, which they say may take a while.

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote