Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
There are those individuals who just don't care how they park or where they park. Last summer I was shopping aboard the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point, NC. I parked my Ashen Gray convertible ALL THE WAY to the back of the huge parking lot and walked to exchange. I am also one of those individuals who has physical disabilities that would allow me to park in the handicap spot but choose not to as there are individua's who are far more in need then I.

Exiting the exchange I was horrified to see a SUV parked very close to my Camaro, especially alarming as the back of the parking lot was just about empty, why park so close where there were at least a hundred spots all around me? The passenger side tires of the Dodge were actually a couple of inches over their white parking strip into my space!

As I neared my vehicle I picked up the pace as I noticed three males getting into the SUV. Just about to my car I actually saw the rear right passenger "SWING" his door wide open, just as I screamed to watch my car his door hit. It hit with such force his door was actually wedged into my driver's rear quarter and he had to yank it back. The individual looked down at my car and then got into the SUV as the driver started pulling away!

Without hesitation I yanked open the rear right door of the SUV as it went into motion. Screaming at the passenger the driver did stop and wanted to know what my problem was! The scene was not looking good with three young men (all appeared to be in their mid twenties) now out of their vehicle and surround this much much older white haired overweight man. Did I care? Not for one second as I knew regardless of the outcome they would know who I was.

The driver looked at my vehicle than spoke to his passenger in a foreign language. Driver than told me his passenger who actually was his brother did not do the damage. It was obvious as the Ashen Gray paint had transferred onto the leading edge of his vehicle's door. Once that was pointed out he offered me $50.00 cash for the damage. I requested one of the clerks telephone the MPs.

With the MPs on scene I learnt the driver of the offending vehicle was a member of the US Navy and the two passengers were his brothers from Columbia who did not speak English. The MPs explained to the driver that he was solely responsible for anything and everything his passengers did aboard the military base. With that I was able to get a report taken and filed a claim against his insurance.

Granted, the insurance company was fantastic to deal with and paid every cent to have my Camaro repaired. I was allowed to take my car to a top notch shop so the work would be flawless, however, if I ever sold my car or traded my car I would take a hit because this is going to show up on the car history report. My Camaro was FLAWLESS, not a single scratch or chip as I was especially careful of where I parked and how I drove. I love the car and take such pride in keeping it nice.

If I had not of been there at that exact moment they would have drove off. This was not a minor scratch that you might not see, it was an obvious DENT with a scrap of about 2" where they had to pulled the door back.

More than the damage to my car I was horrified by the total lack of respect for another person's property. It was also shocking as to how the driver had parked his SUV! I asked the driver why in God's name had he parked where he did with he tires partially into my parking space, especially when there were about 25 vacant spots to the front, rear and both sides of my Camaro, NO EXPLANATION.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
I don't do anything, because I never know what is going on in the other person's life. Here is food for thought: Once I went into a parking lot and it was packed, there was a whole line of cars parked crooked because one person caused the whole row to park crooked, I was the last one in and taking up two spots. (Literally last spot) When I came out, my car was the only one left and it made me look like the jerk. You just never know.
Sir... I fully understand appreciate your position as well as your example. However, I also believe that regardless of what is going on in your life you do not have the right to endanger or potentially cause damage to another person or their property.

During my many years as a LEO I can't begin to tell you how many times I stopped cars for extreme excessive speeds when the driver would say I am late picking up my children, I am late for an appointment or the store is closing in five minutes. So... your problem gives you the right to endanger everyone else's life?

A quick story of one traffic stop... I was located on Route 113 in Standish Maine when I observed an oncoming vehicle passing about 5 or 6 other vehicles. When the passing vehicle realized a marked cruiser was coming they quickly cut into their drive lane cutting off another vehicle to the point they had to jam on the brakes to avoid a collision. Posted speed limit was 50 MPH, with a fully functional calibrated radar unit I locked the offending vehicle's speed that was in the 90s! At the vehicle I found it to be operated by a middle age lady who was extremely agitated, telling me that she was late for work and I was now causing her to be even more late. She would not listen to my concerns as she said she was doing the speed limit but only increased to get by the other vehicles that were going below the speed limit.

Returning to her car with a hefty summons (could have been arrested on the spot for her speed was criminal) the lady went completely out of control. Screaming and swearing at me I told her that I would not allow her to drive off in this mental state, that didn't work either. We sit there for over 30 minutes before she could talk rationally. She decided she was not going to work, she was going home and telephone her attorney as well as my agency. With the video and audio tapes that didn't work either. Her road rage nearly took the lives of innocent people, all because of what was going on in her life! WRONG.

We have to take responsibility of our actions.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post

Granted, the insurance company was fantastic to deal with and paid every cent to have my Camaro repaired. I was allowed to take my car to a top notch shop so the work would be flawless
Gotta love USAA

To the OP...
I'm annoyed by people's lack of care and awareness of things around them also.
By reacting with the methods you describe, you have not lower yourself to their level, you have went lower.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #18
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
This
Attached Images

camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #19
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
perhaps what I've said has come off in the wrong light. I don't actively seek out idiots and purposely try and ruin their day just because they can't park. I specifically, explicitly, only do it to people that have obviously done it on purpose next to my vehicle. this is also not something that happens, even monthly in my case.

I'll attach pictures showing what caused me to post this thread. I'll explain them in the end.

like mentioned here, I have had my car repaired, almost 2k in damages because someone who couldn't park. my car had 4300 miles on the odometer when it was damaged. The only thing that kept me from lining bodies up in ditches was the fact that the driver owned up to it and left a note.

if I come out and you are parked over the line close to my car, it wasn't because the 15 other people beside you parked bad also, it was because you either didn't care to park better, or you parked bad on purpose, and both of which are a problem.

now to the pictures. what you see parked on the left are my wife and my 4 vehicles. blue camaro, red genesis, gray kia, white totyota yaris.

as you can maybe tell in the pics, the guys front tire physically keeps my wife from getting into her driver door due to being too close. I don't know who owns the red yaris parked to the right, but I'm sure they'd have a fun time getting out as well.

this is in our overflow lot, I'm parked in the very back end of it, away from everyone else. Now it does fill up from time to time, obviously, but there are mostly 3-4 spaces between our cars and everyone elses usually. I don't mind the little bit of a walk, it's healthy. This guy just shows up and whether it was on purpose or not, I don't care. He knows what he did, and did it anyway.

side note, he doesn't like me anymore.
Attached Images

crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I park in safe, well lit places. I also look for nicely sized spaces, and cars or objects that won't move (monthly parked cars, walls, etc.). I've had great luck with my Malibu. The parking garage that I use has well behaved patrons, so this also helps. My other cars are not allowed to be outside without supervision (garaged).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #21
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I usually ignore them until they park right beside me, then I don't feel bad for what I do, not even almost.

so far, my arsenal has been eggshell stickers explaining how bad they park.

zip tie buggies to their door handle if it is of the loop variety.

recently I've graduated to .5 oz lead free sticky wheel weights just to throw it a tad off balance?

I also have about 180 "for rectal use only" stickers that don't peel off easily. but I usually save those for the vegetable isle.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #22
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I'm EXTREMELY caring and proud about my car. I'm agitated when people park beside me because I'm that person that parks in B.F.E. just to ensure my cars safety. I mean if theres no damage (yes I do look before i even enter my car) then I usually cuss a little and go about my day. I'm very anal about my car and its paint.

As far as what you do, stickers leave adhesive.... that would 100% cause me to break out my detailing products and I'm not sure if you ever tried getting adhesive off paint.... you cause damage to the paint in the process. Sometimes correctable with a polisher, sometimes not

The zip tie a shopping cart to the car..... that cant be serious. Wind blows that right into the car and metal vs paint causes damage.

The lead weights..... again adhesive.... damage. Not only it makes the wheel vibrate, causing the average person to pay money to "fix" their car. Not only, that causes slight extra wear on parts and tires.

And again, stickers..... adhesive..... damage.

I dont think any of those things you do are anywhere near ok, if no damage is done to your car.

The "you park like a dick" cards or coloring books on windshields are just about the furthest someone can go if there isnt any damage.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
perhaps what I've said has come off in the wrong light. I don't actively seek out idiots and purposely try and ruin their day just because they can't park. I specifically, explicitly, only do it to people that have obviously done it on purpose next to my vehicle. this is also not something that happens, even monthly in my case.

I'll attach pictures showing what caused me to post this thread. I'll explain them in the end.
It looks like you live in an apartment complex with a challenging parking situation. I am starting to understand your frustration. The pics you posted clearly show the parking job of a complete moron. I still don't condone causing damage to other peoples vehicle, but a note (or a sarcastic card or letter as seen above) under a wiper blade certainly wouldn't be out of order. Defacing or applying adhesive (stickers) to someone's car is inviting retaliation, IMHO. Not the best situation if you live next to these people. YMMV.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #24
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I'm EXTREMELY caring and proud about my car. I'm agitated when people park beside me because I'm that person that parks in B.F.E. just to ensure my cars safety. I mean if theres no damage (yes I do look before i even enter my car) then I usually cuss a little and go about my day. I'm very anal about my car and its paint.

As far as what you do, stickers leave adhesive.... that would 100% cause me to break out my detailing products and I'm not sure if you ever tried getting adhesive off paint.... you cause damage to the paint in the process. Sometimes correctable with a polisher, sometimes not

The zip tie a shopping cart to the car..... that cant be serious. Wind blows that right into the car and metal vs paint causes damage.

The lead weights..... again adhesive.... damage. Not only it makes the wheel vibrate, causing the average person to pay money to "fix" their car. Not only, that causes slight extra wear on parts and tires.

And again, stickers..... adhesive..... damage.

I dont think any of those things you do are anywhere near ok, if no damage is done to your car.

The "you park like a dick" cards or coloring books on windshields are just about the furthest someone can go if there isnt any damage.
just to clarify, I've never stuck a sticker to paint, it's always been to glass. nothing I've done to vehicles would be permanent, save the ziptied door handle, and I'm ok with that, read below.

the stickers I use don't leave residue, but they are eggshell, and take 15 forevers to peel off in little pieces. bottom of the sticker says "you can contemplate your bad parking job while you peel off this eggshell sticker"

as far as ziptieing a buggy to a door handle, It was a mercedes that parked so close I couldn't fit my hand between my door handle and their door (if I weren't so pissed, I would have been impressed with how close they got), much less get the door open. so yes, I ziptied the buggy to his/her door handle because it literally hurt climbing into my car from the passenger side.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #25
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
It looks like you live in an apartment complex with a challenging parking situation. I am starting to understand your frustration. The pics you posted clearly show the parking job of a complete moron. I still don't condone causing damage to other peoples vehicle, but a note (or a sarcastic card or letter as seen above) under a wiper blade certainly wouldn't be out of order. Defacing or applying adhesive (stickers) to someone's car is inviting retaliation, IMHO. Not the best situation if you live next to these people. YMMV.
it was a sticker, on his front windshield under the wiper. I also told him I did it and showed it to him, face to face, but this is after I called his number 14 times (he owns a business, and the number was on his door), and he finally showed up to move 45 minutes later. his excuse was that he worked a 16 hour day and showed up "tired" and didn't want to damage anyones vehicles by trying to park better. bullshit is what it was. insulting is what his excuse was.

probably didn't help that I laughed and told him I remember my first part time job too.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
I say: "HAH, this guy parks worse than I do!" and move on with my day.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #27
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post

Hell I'm 7' tall, you think getting in and out of a Camaro is a walk in the park?
I want a Video of you getting in & out of your AB Camaro!

https://youtu.be/uogt0xmna3Y
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
ok so let me tell you a little story about a guy that has a ****ed up knee from surgery that literally has the right to get a handicap tag but doesnt.
I used to be in the same thinking as you ( I've had 13 Operations on my Left Knee and now have a Replacement).

But then I got the Handicap Tag, the Parking Spots are Bigger and they are up front. I don't use it all the time, but it's nice to have if I want to use it or my knee is killing me!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote