Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
tom's2005gto

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
CarPlay with a Kindle? To display torque app?

Ok, I'm not an android guy. Yep I'm an iPhone user. But, torque app won't display on CarPlay via iPhone, but I hear it will via android. So my question is, what if I take an android OS tablet such as a kindle and download CarPlay and torque app, can I connect it to CarPlay and connect to a Bluetooth Obd device and display the torque app data?
tom's2005gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
You'll see OBD-2 device to get data to the torque app.

OBDlink or equivalent, there few flavors, not sure they will talk with amazon walled garden tablet. Perhaps older android phone ? I would start w tablet.. can you actually get torque app on it.

I would talk side loading, but that another level.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:45 AM   #3
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Another way to have it mirror/display any apps is to jailbreak the iphone
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
tom's2005gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
Another way to have it mirror/display any apps is to jailbreak the iphone
Unfortunately I’m running iOS 12.1.2 and I don’t believe there’s anything out for it, yet
Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
It's Android Auto, not CarPlay. Amazon Appstore doesn't have Android Auto available for Kindle Fire tablets. You would need to choose a vanilla Android tablet or unlock the bootloader of the Kindle and install vanilla Android to get support from Google and the Play Store.

Also, if you want to display Torque on your MyLink radio, you'll need the device to be developer unlocked and possibly rooted to install an app call CarStream. That app will allow you to spoof other apps onto Android Auto which Google doesn't allow. The most common use for it is playing YouTube over AA, but some use it for Torque.

Make sure your phone is rooted and doesn't tattle on you for hotspot usage so you can provide your final choice of tablet with a shared internet connection from your phone (the AT&T powered OnStar 4G for 20/month is garbage for quality bandwidth, can barely stream music in most locations because it is deprioritized and AT&T's network is oversaturated).

Honestly the best option would be getting a spare vanilla Android phone, add it to your existing plan and keep it mounted in the glovebox with the USB cable going behind the dash and under the center console. Transfer your primary number to Google Voice and have it forward your calls to both phones so you always have hands free calls of your primary number in the car as well.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
tom's2005gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
It's Android Auto, not CarPlay. Amazon Appstore doesn't have Android Auto available for Kindle Fire tablets. You would need to choose a vanilla Android tablet or unlock the bootloader of the Kindle and install vanilla Android to get support from Google and the Play Store.

Also, if you want to display Torque on your MyLink radio, you'll need the device to be developer unlocked and possibly rooted to install an app call CarStream. That app will allow you to spoof other apps onto Android Auto which Google doesn't allow. The most common use for it is playing YouTube over AA, but some use it for Torque.

Make sure your phone is rooted and doesn't tattle on you for hotspot usage so you can provide your final choice of tablet with a shared internet connection from your phone (the AT&T powered OnStar 4G for 20/month is garbage for quality bandwidth, can barely stream music in most locations because it is deprioritized and AT&T's network is oversaturated).

Honestly the best option would be getting a spare vanilla Android phone, add it to your existing plan and keep it mounted in the glovebox with the USB cable going behind the dash and under the center console. Transfer your primary number to Google Voice and have it forward your calls to both phones so you always have hands free calls of your primary number in the car as well.
Good info. But the only phone I have (iPhone) is a work issued phone, so adding a line / another phone to my plan isn’t an option.

So I can get a vanilla android tablet and display torque to Mylink display? If I understood you correctly.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Kindle runs a really locked down modified version of Android, you can pick up a real cheap Android tablet, Samsung had their low end tablets for real cheap recently, like $75.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote