Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 12-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Aftermarket Sunroof Installation?

Looking to install a sunroof into my '17 1SS, however instead of installing a random aftermarket brand as well, I was thinking of just purchasing the OEM assembly from another car of same year and model then finding the right place to complete the labor-work installation.

Would this practically be the best way to go about the situation if I must have one besides getting rid of the whole car and getting another that already comes with it?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I know the whole roof panel is different between a car with sunroof and one without.

I don't think it is worth doing the mod. You're better off finding a car with the sunroof and buying it.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
Tha_Infamous_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I know the whole roof panel is different between a car with sunroof and one without.

I don't think it is worth doing the mod. You're better off finding a car with the sunroof and buying it.
What if I just order the whole damn roof panel and the sunroof assembly from a car that has it directly installed from manufacturer and swap it out with my mine? Lol
Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Infamous_E View Post
What if I just order the whole damn roof panel and the sunroof assembly from a car that has it directly installed from manufacturer and swap it out with my mine? Lol
Everything is possible. If money isn't an issue, you can do whatever you want!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
OE panels + labor... kiss $10K goodbye.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agree with you Camaro QC and Vtor that it really wouldn’t be worth the expense but if the money is there to do it then I say go for it!
Old 12-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol dont do it it ruins the body lines of the car and roof and they almost always break within 5 years or more especially from all the stress and twisting or the chassis if you track it
Old 12-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Tha_Infamous_E

I’m failing to understand why it’d be so much? The sunroof assembly itself from another Camaro is about $200-400 on eBay - throw in another $1k or so for the roof panels, if it’ll even cost that much at all for those parts if the main part which is the assembly and takes up half the roof panel space is only a few hundred. After that, all I would need is to pay for labor which would probably just be a grand or two. Not seeing how you’re adding it up to $10K+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The problem is the roof itself is not just a part you can pop on and pop off, it's integrated into the body structure, therefore requires a tremendous amount of all the stuff you see on velocity channel with welding grinding, re-painting etc. listen to the voices above, it'll be $10K, spend your money on something else.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Most good body shops would advise against doing it because of the cost and labor involved and it’s a big pain in the ass to do. Like Glen E said spend your money on another mod for your Camaro.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Tha_Infamous_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The problem is the roof itself is not just a part you can pop on and pop off, it's integrated into the body structure, therefore requires a tremendous amount of all the stuff you see on velocity channel with welding grinding, re-painting etc. listen to the voices above, it'll be $10K, spend your money on something else.
No, I understand that, but with my mind-frame, I was going to get all the parts for essentially free and would only need to end up paying for the labor-aspect of the task. If I were to get the parts for free, all I'd need to do is find a reputable installer, and after shopping some prices online, most installers would normally stick around the $1-$3K range... for that price, it'd most likely be fine for me to proceed, but I'm just not sure if I'm overlooking something? I heard it can mess with the structural integrity of the car, but by how much if I'm completely replacing it with OEM parts as well? I don't plan to flip the car upside down or ever drive in a certain way that could potentially have it flip upside down, but even in circumstances like that, I'm sure installing a sunroof can't possibly deteriorate the entire roof as obsolete in a crash, would it?
Old 12-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Infamous, check with some body shops in your area and see what they tell you. It’s not as easy as it would seem to be even if the parts were inexpensive or free. I’m not in the business but years ago I had a 1998 Camaro SS that I wanted to get a hardtop put on because it had t-tops and all the body shops I talked to said no way they would touch it for no amount of money. It may seem like it wouldn’t be that difficult to do but the whole car top would have to be redone. What if the shop broke the windshield and back glass removing the top then you would have a lot more expense replacing the glass. Check with some shops though for their advice on doing this.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
There is no way I would ever do this at all. You will spend every bit of $5k on this and it still may not work correctly. While you can get the hard parts you wont be able to get the BCM reprogrammed to control the OEM sunroof like a Camaro that came from the factory with the sunroof works.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Infamous_E View Post
Looking to install a sunroof into my '17 1SS, however instead of installing a random aftermarket brand as well, I was thinking of just purchasing the OEM assembly from another car of same year and model then finding the right place to complete the labor-work installation.

Would this practically be the best way to go about the situation if I must have one besides getting rid of the whole car and getting another that already comes with it?

LOL! Dude you have to know if you are the kind of guy that knows people and always find a way to get stuff done others will not understand. Your one thing to figure out is if that panel, roof panel, is easy to remove. If it is then this is a easy job if you can get the parts. It's not complicated or going to twist with the frame of the car. These car are very stiff and designed to have this feature so it isn't a big issue. If that roof panel is difficult to remove then it will cost you more but nothing like 10K. Those prices are for people who walk in and say, "So what is it gonna cost me?"

The bad news is probably mentioned in this article: https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...ounds-lighter/

Other than the panel it is not an issue at all.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote