Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #29
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The CAI's just bolt into the stock inputs and outputs. All you're getting is a snazzier looking air box and a filter with hopefully more surface area to make up for the different filter media that tends to clog up faster than paper (freeer flowing).

Most of the benefit can be had by just dropping in a K&N or similar drop-in filter. However the other boxes that have been made for the V6 offer cone filters ...which tend to have more surface area than the drop-in.

The main difference is you end up having to clean the drop-in more often than you would the cone to maintain the same air flow rate. That's it. It's sucking air from the same snorkel and the air bridge is basically the same (since the air box and TB positions are the same as stock and the diameter is kept the same so no tune would be needed).

So dont feel too bad. You're not really missing out on much.
My understanding was that the intake tubing and MAF on the GM CAI, were slightly larger diameter, thus the need for the tune, so that the MAF scaling was corrected.

A more free flowing filter, whether cone or flat will help flow, but having larger intake tubing and a larger diameter MAF along with either of the freer flowing filters would allow for even better flow and more horsepower.

At what point that additional airflow is needed and/or beneficial, I can't say, but having the availability to pull more air is rarely a negative.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The aftermarket non-gm offerings aren't.

GM's needed a calibration... Due to such differences. This is not a tune though. It just changes some constants in an equation that measures input O2. Probably just an offset to the maf voltage so the readings are read correctly.

If you don't care about warranty, you should be able to have your engine tuned to compensate if you can't get the GM one. But I'd just go with an solution that doesn't require an ECU change. You aren't sucking enough air into the lgx for the stock bridge cross area to be an important factor. What will be measureable is air flow resistance from a freer flowing filter. Not insane amounts but some.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #31
OneWheelPeel

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS V6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The aftermarket non-gm offerings aren't.

GM's needed a calibration... Due to such differences. This is not a tune though. It just changes some constants in an equation that measures input O2. Probably just an offset to the maf voltage so the readings are read correctly.

If you don't care about warranty, you should be able to have your engine tuned to compensate if you can't get the GM one. But I'd just go with an solution that doesn't require an ECU change. You aren't sucking enough air into the lgx for the stock bridge cross area to be an important factor. What will be measureable is air flow resistance from a freer flowing filter. Not insane amounts but some.
Kind of thing they would use piggy backs for when tuning was rarer, I remember a supercharger kit that used a switched resistor in the maf, kicked in when in boost, went back to normal during cruise. There were piggy backs in place but you get the idea.
OneWheelPeel is offline   Reply With Quote