Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
All driver modes have mushy throttle!

NEW THROTTLE MAP from GM petition to buy!
Hey all, this needs to be done!
So many SS owners are unhappy with the mushy throttle map across ALL the drive modes. So many have commented on how the car is fast but doesn't feel like it-mushy throttle lag! So many have talked about installing an aftermarket TC device just to mask it. If GM can just release an optional software update with a closer 1:1 throttle map-we would all buy it! It would be an instant sale from every SS owner out there! I came from driving a stock L99 Gen5 into a 2016 2ss M6, and I actually miss the old throttle map! Even with the AFM! I think they gave us the Cadillac throttle program seeing as how the production plant is shared.

What do we need to start this request/petition? Vendors have frequently developed products based on discussions in this forum. Lets give GM an incentive to do the same-easy sales!

There has got to be a GM engineer somewhere who knows EXACTELY how to change the stock map to make this happen! We need to let them know there is a need, and we will buy it!!! We don't need radical tunes-just a better throttle map! How do we make this happen? Please chime in and take over if you have the resources and knowledge to build this into an official request for GM !!!! Ford has done something similar in the past.

I'm in, who else is?
MR-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Agreed. The throttle response sucks. Such a lag. This should be an easy fix to just dump a program into the car
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
Sorry, very happy with throttle respnse. A petition to fix all NPP rattles would be something I would jump on.
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Coming fresh from a Gen5 ZL1 car. This throttle on my new 2017 is terrible to use. My car is a M6, and it is hard to know when this throttle will actually respond, so as not to kill the engine while taking off in 1st. Dont like the "feel" of it at all.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Track mode in my car is lightening quick when I mash the throttle...a huge difference from tour mode.

I wonder if the 1LE cars have different maps?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
... My car is a M6, and it is hard to know when this throttle will actually respond, so as not to kill the engine while taking off in 1st. Dont like the "feel" of it at all.
exactly! why I just keep it in Sport all the time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Track mode in my car is lightening quick when I mash the throttle...a huge difference from tour mode.

I wonder if the 1LE cars have different maps?
I assume all modes (not counting snow/ice) deliver same full power when pedal is to the floor.

If I put it into TRACK mode and forget about it... then when I starting off at a light and trying to "give it a little gas..." the gas pedal appears to do nothing for first 25% of pedal travel (estimate obviously)

In Sport mode, the engine responds to initial gas pedal movement the best.... other modes have a gap for some reason.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
So many SS owners are unhappy with the mushy throttle map across ALL the drive modes. So many have commented on how the car is fast but doesn't feel like it-mushy throttle lag! So many have talked about installing an aftermarket TC device just to mask it. If GM can just release an optional software update with a closer 1:1 throttle map-we would all buy it! It would be an instant sale from every SS owner out there! I came from driving a stock L99 Gen5 into a 2016 2ss M6, and I actually miss the old throttle map! Even with the AFM! I think they gave us the Cadillac throttle program seeing as how the production plant is shared.

What do we need to start this request/petition? Vendors have frequently developed products based on discussions in this forum. Lets give GM an incentive to do the same-easy sales!

There has got to be a GM engineer somewhere who knows EXACTELY how to change the stock map to make this happen! We need to let them know there is a need, and we will buy it!!! We don't need radical tunes-just a better throttle map! How do we make this happen? Please chime in and take over if you have the resources and knowledge to build this into an official request for GM !!!! Ford has done something similar in the past.

I'm in, who else is?

This hasn't been an issue for me with my M6 SS. I did find it annoying at times with the A8 SS however.

I found my L99 SS much more annoying with it's lack of power than any lack of throttle response in the current SS.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I think they gave us the Cadillac throttle program seeing as how the production plant is shared.
That's not possible.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I find the throttle response in Tour and Snow/Ice modes to be pretty much identical (I suspect the main difference between these two modes would be the degree to which traction control and Stabilitrak are applied--but that's just a guess, based on what I feel when I drive).

Now...the difference in throttle response between Sport and Track is, to me, significant. In Sport, the throttle feels more "jumpy." I get the herky-jerkies more easily and am more likely to do a burnout when accelerating briskly. In Track, it feels like it's calibrated to lessen the herky-jerks and enable a smoother launch (which would be better at the quarter-mile track).

Personally, I prefer Track mode because I like a smooth launch every time. The added bonus for me is the steering really tightens up and the car just feels more like it's on rails going around a corner. The only disadvantage is that Track mode is not persistent, so when I get into the car, I have to select it every time. At this point, its muscle memory and just part of my startup routine!

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 12-31-2018 at 11:00 AM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJS View Post
That's not possible.
I agree and know so. Just because the production line makes the Camaro, CTS and ATS on it doesn't mean they share the same calibration details at all. Calibration maps are entirely different between models, it is part of the powertrain testing process.

I have looked at several calibrations over the years on similar models, never once has the calibration be similar or the same.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #11
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
If I pull out into traffic and don't stab it very aggressively, mine has a dead spot and boy has it almost got me hit. I have to slip the clutch and really get on it if I want to get out into a high traffic area. It would be nice if GM would address this, but I'm sure I'll have to get a tune or Pedal Commander etc.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I guess I will say I agree. But I doubt they will do anything anything about it. I plan on getting ported throttle body, it made a huge improvement on my 5gh gen which I traded it.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
Xbrentx

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss convertible A8
Throttle

The caddy and camaro have exact same part number printed on the throttle sensor I know because I order both performance pedal kits to get deadbeat of caddy kit.checked gas pedal sensor part same number on both
Xbrentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I'm in, who else is?
Soooo, you're unhappy with all of the 4 torque request maps your car has?

You do understand that an aftermarket tuner can work with you to build a torque request map in whichever mode[s] you want to give whatever response you want, right? It's a straightforward mapping in HP Tuners, for example.

You already said you're willing to spend money. Belly up and fix it. You don't need Chevrolet involved at all.