Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #617
ALLGM6

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Hi All-

New to this forum. I have a 2016 Stingray Z51 with the A8 and just bought a new 2018 Camaro 2SS A8.

My Vette only has 1300 miles on it and rarely gets driven...but the Camaro will be stacking up miles fast as it's going to be my daily.

I didn't realize the A8's had so many issues until getting on this forum yesterday. So my question is, as the mileage get's up on my C7 is this a concern i should be aware of? I think they are the same tranny?

Second question...has GM fixed the issue on the A8 in my 2018? Or is it still an issue for 18 models too?

Appreciate the feedback and look forward to being a part of this community!
ALLGM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #618
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLGM6 View Post
Hi All-

New to this forum. I have a 2016 Stingray Z51 with the A8 and just bought a new 2018 Camaro 2SS A8.

My Vette only has 1300 miles on it and rarely gets driven...but the Camaro will be stacking up miles fast as it's going to be my daily.

I didn't realize the A8's had so many issues until getting on this forum yesterday. So my question is, as the mileage get's up on my C7 is this a concern i should be aware of? I think they are the same tranny?

Second question...has GM fixed the issue on the A8 in my 2018? Or is it still an issue for 18 models too?

Appreciate the feedback and look forward to being a part of this community!

Yes, there are many Corvette owners having the exact same issue.
As you note, they use the same transmission.

Lots of talk of this issue over on the Corvette Forum also.
So, you might want to check it out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion-142/

Can't answer your second question about the '18 models.

Do some more reading on this issue here on this forum and over at the Corvette forum.

It took over 10,000 miles on our '17 SS before the issue popped up.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #619
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
Quote:
has GM fixed the issue on the A8 in my 2018? Or is it still an issue for 18 models too?
Since the 19s are on the streets and it'll be Q1 of 2019 before GM releases the most recent 'fix' (band-aid?), it would surprise me if even all of the 19's are 'fixed.'

I bought my '17 2SS Fifty CPO with a hair over 7k miles on it. I now suspect that the previous owner got rid of it because of the transmission. Within days or weeks, I started noticing an odd vibration. At first I thought it was the AFM, which is how I found this site... "Google: How to disable AFM on 2017 Camaro A8?" Over time, I finally had my AH-HA!!! moment when I came across the "shudder" threads. :(

So far *knock on wood*, my issue hasn't come back. But, I'd by lying if I said I wasn't thinking about trading for something else before the issue comes back...

All I can say is... If you keep 'em, be patient & good luck!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #620
ALLGM6

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the feedback guys...it's making my gut have that "oh s*it" feeling...now I have two of these darn things! I wanted so bad to buy the M6 too on the Camaro, because I've regretted not buying the M7 on my Vette for a long time now. BUT, with the Camaro being a DD and my commute being 110 miles round trip in Bay Area traffic, I had a force of people ganging up on me to convince me to buy the automatic (including my wife)...and at the end of the day, I figured they were probably right, as it would become annoying driving the M6 daily in stop and go traffic.

Then I read all this about the A8...UGH!

Let's all hope the 2019 fix becomes something worth a crap. I'll be sure to get my Vette in now too once I know there is more of a fix (supposedly).
ALLGM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #621
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
My 2016 2ss vert just had the a8 serviced for the shudder. Notes from the tech say the condition has improved, not resolved. In retrospect, it looks like they are still doing the old fix until the new one is released.

WHILE MONITOR SCAN TOOL DATA DURING TEST DRIVE, FOUND THE TC SLIP SPEED WOULD SUDDENLY INCREMENT AS CONDITION OCCURRED, INDICATING A LIKELY SHUDDER OF THE TORQUE CONVERTER. FOUND BULLETIN #16-NA-175 REGARDING TORQUE CONVERTER SHUDDER. USED PERISCOPE TO CONFIRM ISSUE LIES WITH TORQUE CONVERTER. FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS OUTLINED IN BULLETIN AND REMOVED TRANSMISSION PAN, DRAINED AND CLEANED OUT THE TRANSMISSION COOLER LINES, AND REASSEMBLED VEHICLE. FILLED TRANSMISSION FLUID TO SPECIFICATION AND TEST DROVE. CONDITION HAS IMPROVED. RECOMMEND TO CUSTOMER TO DRIVE 200 MILES AND RE-EVALUATE CONCERN.

PARTS 9 1935565 FLUID 8.80
9 1935565 FLUID 8.80
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #622
Gray50

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys...it's making my gut have that "oh s*it" feeling...now I have two of these darn things! I wanted so bad to buy the M6 too on the Camaro, because I've regretted not buying the M7 on my Vette for a long time now. BUT, with the Camaro being a DD and my commute being 110 miles round trip in Bay Area traffic, I had a force of people ganging up on me to convince me to buy the automatic (including my wife)...and at the end of the day, I figured they were probably right, as it would become annoying driving the M6 daily in stop and go traffic.

Let's all hope the 2019 fix becomes something worth a crap. I'll be sure to get my Vette in now too once I know there is more of a fix (supposedly).
With you commute, your choice makes sense. Maybe you'll get lucky and yours won't ever act up! OR, if it does, it'll do it after they have a REAL fix!

With mine having it act up so early in its life, I have a sour attitude about the GM A8 and I won't look at anything GM makes that has the A8 in it. :(
Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #623
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I was on a Buick Lacrosse forum and several owners of the 2017 models with A8 were very upset with the shudder issue. They were unaware of what it even was but very upset with what their cars are doing. Dealers were telling them sorry, it’s just the nature of the car and it was so bad that a few said that they wished they never bought the vehicle and wanted to just dump out of them. For 2018 on Buick is now using the new 9 speed auto in Lacrosse...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #624
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:

A daily commute with mixed high speeds / congestion on roads with an incline/decline is a sure-fire way to bring about the shudder.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #625
Gray50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidZ View Post
A daily commute with mixed high speeds / congestion on roads with an incline/decline is a sure-fire way to bring about the shudder.
For me, it was a 'shake down / maiden voyage road trip.' I don't remember when I started doing it, but for the last several vehicles, I figure out "somewhere" to go within that first few weeks of ownership to put some miles on the vehicle, get a feel for it, see if it needs to go back to the dealership for anything, etc...

So, just after I got the Camaro, I took a trip from the DFW area of Texas to Arizona. My plan had been to spend time in Northern Arizona / Southern Utah. But, it was February and Northern AZ was cooler (and sometimes slicker) than what I had planned on.

So, I headed south and found some twisty roads around and west of Phoenix. I think I even briefly ended up in California by accident. All was well when I was testing my comfort level with the limits the car. But, that 1000 or so miles of just cruising on the slightly hilly interstate.......

8th gear... bad shudder.

After a while, 7th gear... bad shudder.

I ran a good portion of that trip in 5th and 6th gear to keep the car from shaking.

I was fit to be tied by the time I got home. "FIX IT or it's GONE" was my attitude. (Although, I never said it exactly that way to the dealership. )

They had to go through the steps, of course. Later, the service guy told me "he had never seen one that bad and he KNEW the triple flush wasn't gonna fix it." It has been fine since I got it back. So far. I figure it's just a matter of time, though. :(
Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #626
LinPark

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Hyper Blue A8
I called my dealership last week and spoke to one of the service managers there. Once I described what was happening he immediately started talking about transmission shudder and said GM had a permanent fix for this coming on Jan 15th. He asked me to bring the car in to diagnose it and mentioned they would do a full flush then wait for the permanent fix. They called me around 4 PM to say that GM suggested not to do the full flush and instead just order the parts for the permanent fix. I picked up the car and they said they should have everything there in 3 to 4 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that this resolves the problem.
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #627
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinPark View Post
I called my dealership last week and spoke to one of the service managers there. Once I described what was happening he immediately started talking about transmission shudder and said GM had a permanent fix for this coming on Jan 15th. He asked me to bring the car in to diagnose it and mentioned they would do a full flush then wait for the permanent fix. They called me around 4 PM to say that GM suggested not to do the full flush and instead just order the parts for the permanent fix. I picked up the car and they said they should have everything there in 3 to 4 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that this resolves the problem.
Unless they are planning on flushing your tranny, replacing the converter with a better/different one and reprogramming the TCM,they ain't permanently fixing shit.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #628
Camaro #5

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS (2LT, V6)
Did they say what “parts” they are ordering?
Camaro #5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #629
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
The only thing worse than GM is their stealers (only sometimes, though)

Hope the "parts" are for a new torque converter, I suspect they are just lying, though.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #630
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The parts according to the bulletin, is just a new flush/fill tube from Bosch and new Mobil 1 transmission fluid, that's it...now the TC is most likely damaged and I hope they will at the very least inspect the TC first as part of this new "fix" and replace if damaged. When I bring mine in that is what I am asking because I know my TC has at least some damage to it and needs to be replaced most likely first before anything else. Hoping this and my Range will hold me over for 2 or 3 years until I get something else.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote