Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #71
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I got to drive my friend's gt350 for a day on twisties in Arizona and it is a very different car from a Camaro.
Good seats and a shifter. Lousy clutch and doesnt come close to the Camaro re balance or communications re limits. But the motor sounds good
It has a smalish tank yet sucks gas (and oil) like there is no tomorrow. My friend's car (brand new) had some rattles. It is a fun car but in a city it is hard to get it in its sweet (high) rpm range. And below 4500 it is rather gutless. I liked it but it is a lesser offer vs a 1le. And where i live they cost more than zl1 which boggles my mind...
Nice brief review. SS 1LE for sure is the best option
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #72
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
First time I've heard this term.
I've seen the behavior, just didn't know what it was called.
Thanks!
Just don't get it confused with white knighting!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #73
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
First time I've heard this term.
I've seen the behavior, just didn't know what it was called.
Thanks!

My pleasure!
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #74
Guava

Drives: Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKD 1LE View Post
Having both in my Garage, I enjoy driving my 1SS 1LE a lot more. It's more usable power and handles a lot better on curvy mountain roads.
The Wife traded in her C7 GS for the last ZL1 the dealership had. While the ZL1 is amazing, its too much for her for a daily. She now wants the GT350 so I'll be able to compare those too soon enough!
How does the C7 GS compare to the 1SS 1LE?
Thanks,
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 PM   #75
Bosse'sBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post
Thanks,
There's a video on YouTube which can give you a better idea:

https://youtu.be/RWYd3Jw2zn0
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 01-31-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #76
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post
Thanks,
I did about twenty track days in 2017 with my '17 SS 1LE, got swept up in the crazy Corvette rebates at the end of that year and bought an '18 Grand Sport M7 1LT over the 17/18 winter. Did three track days in early 2018 with the Grand Sport and then sold it and bought another '18 SS 1LE and finished the 2018 season with another 10-12 track days using the 1LE. Here are my observations... The Grand Sport was probably 5% more performance for 30% more cost. It wasn't any more fun or rewarding to drive than the 1LE. I installed an MGW shifter in it because the factory shifter in the Vette was absolutely awful. I will say that the MGW turned it in to an even better shifting transmission than the stock 1LE. I would do another MGW for my '18 1LE but they don't make one yet for Gen6 Camaros. I unfortunately didn't sit in the Grand Sport with a helmet on before I purchased, to find at my first track day that at 6'2" my head contacted the roof, pretty badly. I had to pull my seat forward and ghetto-lean the back in order to drive it on track. That was way less than ideal. The Grand Sport is a quicker car, however it feels at times even more so because the perception of speed is more visceral since you are lower to the ground and have less vehicle around you. All in all I should never have gotten rid of the first 1LE and I'm thrilled to have another.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:45 AM   #77
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I got to drive my friend's gt350 for a day on twisties in Arizona and it is a very different car from a Camaro.
Good seats and a shifter. Lousy clutch and doesnt come close to the Camaro re balance or communications re limits. But the motor sounds good
It has a smalish tank yet sucks gas (and oil) like there is no tomorrow. My friend's car (brand new) had some rattles. It is a fun car but in a city it is hard to get it in its sweet (high) rpm range. And below 4500 it is rather gutless. I liked it but it is a lesser offer vs a 1le. And where i live they cost more than zl1 which boggles my mind...
I believe that the Camaro SS1LE would easily beat the Shelby GT350 (non R) at the track.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #78
HoCoCamaro

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I believe that the Camaro SS1LE would easily beat the Shelby GT350 (non R) at the track.
My first time ever on a track (Summit Point) I had a guy from the int solo group with a 350 in my group because his son was tracking for the first time. I was running a full two seconds faster by the second day of the event. Granted, driver ability comes into play; however, I had never been on a track before and this was his 9th track day just with that car so I would assume that was not the reason LOL.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #79
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKD 1LE View Post
Having both in my Garage, I enjoy driving my 1SS 1LE a lot more. It's more usable power and handles a lot better on curvy mountain roads.
The Wife traded in her C7 GS for the last ZL1 the dealership had. While the ZL1 is amazing, its too much for her for a daily. She now wants the GT350 so I'll be able to compare those too soon enough!

All 4 cars that you mentioned, are great choices
Great description of your SS1LE and your GS, could you please share us also your driving experience of your ZL1 and Shelby GT350 compared to the other two sport cars that you own?
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 07-16-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #80
Bosse'sBoss

Talking

Quote:
Both the 6th gen ZL1 & SS 1LE are extraordinary dual purpose vehicles for Road and track. It would depend very much on your driving conditions and on your budget.
Actually I have a Stingray Z51, which I consider is too much for my local driving conditions (no local track, not many curves around). My corvette is automatic, kind of boring to drive compared to using a shifter. Probably I would go back to a base Camaro SS with the stick, to enjoy the limits of the car under the allowed speed limits.
Somewhere I read that the Corvette Grand Sport has higher limits that you would be able to explore at the track, but it will feel very controlled while driving it on the streets, missing some of the DD joy. Also noticed that the replacement parts for my Z51 like brakes and tires would be more expensive to replace them compared to the ones on the base Corvette.
Whichever Camaro you chose. Enjoy it.

I just would like to follow up on my C7 Corvette Z51 replacement.
After seeing MT H2H of a 6th gen Camaro SS beating a BMW M4 (not the new one):
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/c...let-camaro-ss/
I went to my local Chevy dealer and bought a 6th gen Camaro 2SS with a 6MT. It has been a great choice, the car performs greatly, very close handling performance feeling compared to my previous Stingray, it just feels a little more heavy on the back when I switch lanes fast, but best of all is that it has a MT which provides a much better driver's involvement feeling, it is great, I enjoy it more than driving with my previous automatic transmission Corvette. After 20K miles it has showed me much better reliability that my C7 Corvette never had. Sincerely it doesn't have the exotic esthetical design of the Corvette, but I also like it. For sure the wearables: tires and brakes would be less expensive, the ones on the Corvette Z51 were very expensive to replace. For spirited driving and ocassional track time, the 6th gen Camaro SS is a great choice, it reminds me of my prior and also awesome 5th gen Camaro ZL1.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 07-24-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #81
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I just would like to follow up on my C7 Corvette Z51 replacement.
After seeing MT H2H of a 6th gen Camaro SS beating a BMW M4 (not the new one):

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/c...let-camaro-ss/

I went to my local Chevy dealer and bought a 6th gen Camaro 2SS with a 6MT. It has been a great choice, the car performs greatly, very close handling performance feeling to my previous Stingray, just feels a little more heavy on the back when I switch lanes fast, but best of all its the MT shifting driver's involvement feeling, it is great, I enjoy it more than driving with my automatic transmission Corvette. After 20K miles it has showed me much better reliability which my C7 Corvette never had. Sincerely it doesn't have the exotic esthetic design of the Corvette, but I like it. For sure the wearables: tires and brakes would be less expensive, the ones on the Corvette Z51 were very expensive to replace. For spirited driving and ocassional track time, the 6th gen Camaro SS is a great choice, it reminds me my prior also awesome 5th gen Camaro ZL1.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #82
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
go for the SS 1LE. If you need more power....10k will put you on par with the ZL1. The ride in the SS 1LE is amazing and it is not hard by any stretch. I am 60 years old with a bad back and that car was really smooth compared to my z/28.
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #83
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
I have had both a ZL1 and a 2SS 1LE. If you can swing it go for the ZL1. Either one is a good choice. I have another 2SS 1LE on order, but if I could make myself get rid of my 2019 Corvette Grand Sport I would get another ZL1.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #84
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
December bump.

Considering moving up to the ZL1 M6, love the look of satin steel. I'd have to wait about 5-6 months for a factory order, but with used prices being $10k more than what I paid for my SS1LE back in early 2020, it almost makes sense with low GM interest rates. If you were to keep a car long-term as a collectible and put low miles on it (not a DD), which would you go with? Insurance costs, gas, etc are all negligible.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote