Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #29
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I Can Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Drag radials. You changed 3 things and think that you can now say one of those contributed?
Well, I guess I can "say" anything I want within the rules...lol. I said it felt like it was quicker and I know that doesn't count for much. I know it sounded better. I know my drag strip elapsed time improved considerably with the Diablo tune and the CAI without the drag radials. What part of the improvement could be attributed to either mod, I don't know

Incidentally, what size wheels and tires are your drag radial set up?

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #30
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinmartin0789 View Post
By reading this data does that show the intake lowers horsepower slightly and increases torque slightly? I'm sorry I'm a noob at these. Also do you happen to have data showing the rotofab with either the same exact cars or similar ones? I ask because I hear so many people claim the rotofab is the top dog even without a tune.
Unfortunately, the dyno shop doesn't provide more legible color copy...they lower line on both torque and hp curves is the car equipped with GM CAI (with tune) and a cat back exhausts (eliminates the OEM crush under the axle shafts).

The other two cars are no CAI and with CAI...negligible difference is not even worth mentioning.

One might say that a pro tuner could eek a bit more out of these setups especially the one with the cat back exhaust, but likely it would be minimal for the cost. I checked with Jeremy Formato and his price was $900 for a full tune.

I don't have any experience with anything else - these dyno runs were to trouble shoot an engine issue...which turned out to be the lack of a GM CAI program install (lost ~160 WHP - see other thread).
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #31
MPLJR1222

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmwilliamjohnson View Post
Just curious, my dealer said $525 for the part and $591 installed.
Is the tune included in this price?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #32
WhatTheFetch

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLJR1222 View Post
Is the tune included in this price?
Yes, the intake price includes the tune and has billing instructions for the dealer. I purchased mine from shopchevyparts.com for $393 with a 5% discount that basically covered the shipping. I was going to install it but decided to have a local dealer do it to avoid any warranty issues.. They charged me $87 for the install.

The best the local dealer would do was $550 plus the install charge so I think I made out okay at $480 out the door.
WhatTheFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #33
MPLJR1222

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFetch View Post
Yes, the intake price includes the tune and has billing instructions for the dealer. I purchased mine from shopchevyparts.com for $393 with a 5% discount that basically covered the shipping. I was going to install it but decided to have a local dealer do it to avoid any warranty issues.. They charged me $87 for the install.

The best the local dealer would do was $550 plus the install charge so I think I made out okay at $480 out the door.
Good deal! Any chance you have the instructions still? I'd like to see them but cannot find them online anywhere
Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #34
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Another point to consider is that the GM version has an optional "Race" filter available from GM. I don't have the part number, but it is a direct replacement filter element. It is super thin, so should only be used for race applications, but that is another reason to opt for the GM option.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #35
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
(eliminates the OEM crush under the axle shafts).

Can you explain that crush? I had a big wtf moment the first time i saw it
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #36
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
Can you explain that crush? I had a big wtf moment the first time i saw it
Discussed elsewhere on the forum. Documented no loss in power.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #37
WhatTheFetch

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLJR1222 View Post
Good deal! Any chance you have the instructions still? I'd like to see them but cannot find them online anywhere
Are you referring to the instructions for the dealer or the install? Here are the instrucitons to the dealer. For the install there are plenty of youtube videos out there. Pretty simple to do, I just wanted to have the dealer install mine to avoid any warranty issues.
Attached Images

WhatTheFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #38
mggeyer

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss 1le
factory CAI

Its funny, I bought the GM factory CAI. When I made an appt. with my local dealer for the FlASH install, the service manger told me when I got there that this would void my warranty. Then the mechanic said he would have to spend hours on the phone to get the download. The two argued in front of me discussing how to charge for this. I told them both I had the paperwork which expains everything and the cost centers to bill GM. I was holding the paperwork in my hand. I offered them to look at it which they said , "i dont need to see any paperwork". they then told me they would have to charge me at least $225.00 to Flash it. I said its already installed all you have to do is flash it. He said again it would be at a minimum $225.00. I then said FU picked up my paperworked and walked out. FN idiots! I since have added Kooks headers , green cats, secondary cat delete , AWE cat back exhaust, and a tune by RDP motorsports. Car runs fantastically , and although not yet dynoed it is definately a LOT stonger than stock. Really glad I did not do the factory tune with this CAI! Have heard lots of not good things reagarding the tune. CAI the manufacturer does not suggest a tune when installed on a stock car. These Chevy dealers are an embarrassment. Wonder what Al Opp would have said.
mggeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #39
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mggeyer View Post
Its funny, I bought the GM factory CAI. When I made an appt. with my local dealer for the FlASH install, the service manger told me when I got there that this would void my warranty. Then the mechanic said he would have to spend hours on the phone to get the download. The two argued in front of me discussing how to charge for this. I told them both I had the paperwork which expains everything and the cost centers to bill GM. I was holding the paperwork in my hand. I offered them to look at it which they said , "i dont need to see any paperwork". they then told me they would have to charge me at least $225.00 to Flash it. I said its already installed all you have to do is flash it. He said again it would be at a minimum $225.00. I then said FU picked up my paperworked and walked out. FN idiots! I since have added Kooks headers , green cats, secondary cat delete , AWE cat back exhaust, and a tune by RDP motorsports. Car runs fantastically , and although not yet dynoed it is definately a LOT stonger than stock. Really glad I did not do the factory tune with this CAI! Have heard lots of not good things reagarding the tune. CAI the manufacturer does not suggest a tune when installed on a stock car. These Chevy dealers are an embarrassment. Wonder what Al Opp would have said.
I would be interested more opinions on the validity of the tune.

Basically what I am hearing is the GM CAI is just for visual purposes. There is no performance gain without other mods. But if I were to add a ported intake with my TM ported throttle body, the GM CAI might be a worth while option..?
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #40
RobbyBeefcake87

Cai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I would be interested more opinions on the validity of the tune.

Basically what I am hearing is the GM CAI is just for visual purposes. There is no performance gain without other mods. But if I were to add a ported intake with my TM ported throttle body, the GM CAI might be a worth while option..?
I had a good experience with a local Chevy performance dealership, they let me do the install myself and tuned it without any hassle.

I have no baseline to compare it to before the cai and my measured 0 to 60 times are the same as before, though without the cai I did tons of balls out launch control runs to achieve those times and with the cai I've mostly done just a few super slight 1.5-2k rpm clucth slip or right off of idle to achieve those same times (to be fair also had more practice time by this point) so take that for what it's worth. However on rolling pulls or roll races it feels faster and can objectively more easily chirp the tires than before. Just yesterday I rolled on 3rd at 50mph and blew the tires out momentarily which never happened like that without the cai.

I have noticed a slight improvement in throttle response as well as sound for whatever that's worth.

Imo these cai's perform better when you're actually moving sucking in air than sitting at a Dyno. The YouTuber and power by the hour tuner Alex Flores had a good video on this.

I'm happy with mine and got very slight performance, visual, and sound inprovements, which is what I expected for the $350 it cost me. If you're expecting a giant difference, don't bother and spend your money elsewhere.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #41
Tim M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Basically what I am hearing is the GM CAI is just for visual purposes. There is no performance gain without other mods.
That is correct. It also adds noise, which I can say makes the car feel faster/more responsive, but likely not really.

If you update your LT1 to have a greater requirement for air (cam, stroke, blower, etc)...believe the air intake may have a benefit, but otherwise...I'd spend my $ elsewhere. And considering how much pain it caused me thanks to the lack of a 'not-required' dealer tune...I would never recommend it.

Heck you don't get a cleanable air filter with it (K+N) so have to buy the special GM filter. OEM airbox, I would assume you could get a K+N for it and be money ahead on both fronts.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #42
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I had a good experience with a local Chevy performance dealership, they let me do the install myself and tuned it without any hassle.

I have no baseline to compare it to before the cai and my measured 0 to 60 times are the same as before, though without the cai I did tons of balls out launch control runs to achieve those times and with the cai I've mostly done just a few super slight 1.5-2k rpm clucth slip or right off of idle to achieve those same times (to be fair also had more practice time by this point) so take that for what it's worth. However on rolling pulls or roll races it feels faster and can objectively more easily chirp the tires than before. Just yesterday I rolled on 3rd at 50mph and blew the tires out momentarily which never happened like that without the cai.

I have noticed a slight improvement in throttle response as well as sound for whatever that's worth.

Imo these cai's perform better when you're actually moving sucking in air than sitting at a Dyno. The YouTuber and power by the hour tuner Alex Flores had a good video on this.

I'm happy with mine and got very slight performance, visual, and sound inprovements, which is what I expected for the $350 it cost me. If you're expecting a giant difference, don't bother and spend your money elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
That is correct. It also adds noise, which I can say makes the car feel faster/more responsive, but likely not really.

If you update your LT1 to have a greater requirement for air (cam, stroke, blower, etc)...believe the air intake may have a benefit, but otherwise...I'd spend my $ elsewhere. And considering how much pain it caused me thanks to the lack of a 'not-required' dealer tune...I would never recommend it.

Heck you don't get a cleanable air filter with it (K+N) so have to buy the special GM filter. OEM airbox, I would assume you could get a K+N for it and be money ahead on both fronts.
Thanks for the responses.

The CAIs of the past generally eliminated bottle necks in the OEM intake ducting. Therefore allowing much more cooler air into the MAF and Throttle body. But the intake ducting on the 6th gen doesn't really have any, or the aftermarket CAI don't actually improve the air ducting to allow more air flow. All the aftermarket CAI's seem to do is eliminate the corrugated tube and a put a cone filter in place.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote