Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 01-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #29
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
The infotainment system is awesome when working as it should, especially the voice to text. My problem which started a month ago is when I connect to a USB cord there is no media sound and my phone will say not connected. I have try everything and anything but the system won't pair with my phone. Also, my infotainment system is saying unable to update. After several trips to the dealership they have discovery that the system has a bad module so I am now waiting for a replacement.
Bob RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVictor501 View Post
The update was an OnStar update and not an infotainment update. The new OnStar version is v4.24 and it was to fix LTE connectivity issues and other minor bug fixes.
GM is actively pushing Infotainment updates across their fleet. So, while you may have gotten only an OnStar update, plenty of others are [also] getting an Infotainment update.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
My experience is that when an update is available, the radio won't power off when I open the car door to get out anymore. Once I install the update it returns to normal operation. I just assumed it was a way to alert us to the availability of an OTA update.
I hadn't considered this at all... but, you might actually be on to something. When I first bought my car, I couldn't figure out why the radio wouldn't turn off when I opened the door (as it should have). No messages, it just wouldn't turn off. After I manually searched and found the update, then forced it to install, the problem went away and never returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
IMO it's an industry-wide issue. And you think GM's system is bad? I actually like Infotainment 3 for the most part, especially in comparison to the Mazda infotainment I am using now. Toyota's system is also pretty crappy from what I have heard. I have a friend who has a Mercedes. Same thing, slow infotainment. Ford's Sync 3 is dubbed as Think 3 by some as it has to think for 3 seconds when you tap on anything. The list goes on, but GM is definitely not the only one guilty for it.

And it's mentioned in another thread, but open source does add to the hacking risk a bit. You can't assume everyone who can look at the code is kind-hearted. Open source means they can find holes more easily.
The Alpine systems that were used in Honda and Acura vehicles until the late 200x's were quite good. The switch to the Pioneer-based systems brought a nicer display image but poorer overall quality of the system.

Toyota's systems are a mess. I never had more problems than what I experienced in my 2011 Tundra Platinum. Absolute garbage, but that's what you get when you create a company to build them instead of going to a company that's already good at it.

Yes, FOSS can be exploited a touch more easily because the hackers can actually SEE the holes in the code instead of having to search for them. BUT... So can everyone else that codes. FOSS facilitates a much smoother, faster, and secure path to patching than closed source does. When you have a billion eyes reviewing the code instead of 20, a lot more gets uncovered and corrected very quickly. And it can get done long before the code makes into production while closed-source code has a higher risk of not getting patched until AFTER a major breach occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob RS View Post
The infotainment system is awesome when working as it should, especially the voice to text. My problem which started a month ago is when I connect to a USB cord there is no media sound and my phone will say not connected. I have try everything and anything but the system won't pair with my phone. Also, my infotainment system is saying unable to update. After several trips to the dealership they have discovery that the system has a bad module so I am now waiting for a replacement.
Infotainment doesn't really directly provide much in the way of speech to text - it's mostly just a passthrough to the various apps that actually provide it (text messaging, maps apps, phone dialer, etc.). There's only basic voice command recognition coded in for things like changing the radio to a particular station.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #32
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Unhappy Car Warranty advice...

Hello all.

Several years ago we purchased a buick. We also purchased the extended warranty for 3 years. I called them when the warranty was fixing to end and found out I could re-extend it for 2500. We went for it.

Having said all that.

I called and asked the same for my 2017 camaro. The extended warranty they offered me was 2 years. I called yesterday to ask them how much it would be to re-extend it once it was time. finance said they dont do that?

he said nobody does that. I would have to buy an after market one?

so having said this.....is that true? if so, what after market warranties are good and not scams and that wont break the bank?

thx
Old 01-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #33
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
Yeah I am stupid i just read the provided description from my car and it says its just LTE connectivity updates and fixes for in vehicle WiFi.
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #34
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXvZEiN View Post
Mine was yesterday, car wouldn't completely power down until it was installed. Very bothersome. No idea what it was for though.
Ditto this. Mine occurred Wednesday but seems to be gone now.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #35
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Hmmm, so I went to install the update a little bit ago and got the message in the picture. I'm not sure what's not "ideal" about my vehicle conditions. It's connected to wi fi (either home network or my phone's hot spot), although I think it's probably already downloaded it and just needs to install it. The car was off (when it's running it won't let me update). Any ideas what needs to be different to get this update to install?

Name:  IMG_0235.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  85.9 KB
Old 01-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Hmmm, so I went to install the update a little bit ago and got the message in the picture. I'm not sure what's not "ideal" about my vehicle conditions. It's connected to wi fi (either home network or my phone's hot spot), although I think it's probably already downloaded it and just needs to install it. The car was off (when it's running it won't let me update). Any ideas what needs to be different to get this update to install?

Attachment 1055894
Back it out of the garage and give it a solid view of the sky...
Old 01-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #37
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
I had this pushed OTA to my truck on January 13th and it applies to the Camaro also.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81722-9999.pdf

Technical Service Bulletin: #20-NA-199
Release Date: 11/9/2020
TSB #20-NA-199 Applies To These 2020 Model Year Vehicles
  • Buick Enclave
  • Buick Encore GX
  • Buick Verano
  • Cadillac CT6 (China ONLY)
  • Cadillac XT4
  • Cadillac XT5
  • Cadillac XT6
  • Chevrolet Blazer
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Chevrolet Cruze
  • Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500HD / 3500HD
  • Chevrolet TrailBlazer
  • GMC Acadia
  • GMC Sierra 1500 / 2500HD / 3500HD
With The Following Infotainment System RPO Codes
  • IOS
  • IOT
  • IOU
Attached Images

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic

Last edited by RWT; 01-16-2021 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Add Photos
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #38
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Back it out of the garage and give it a solid view of the sky...
That didn't help. I was out in the open and Sirius/XM worked fine. I still had it connected to my phone's hotspot. I've tried a few times during the afternoon when I went several places, with no joy so far.

ETA: I've seen a couple hints that the outside temp may be too low to do the installation right now. I guess it worries about the battery? It was in the mid-30s today and not sunny at all. We have a couple days in the 40s with sun coming up, so maybe it'll work then.

Last edited by Msquared; 01-16-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #39
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Maybe it'll get rid of my no satellite connection i keep getting, in a parking lot, street, highway!!!
Attached Images

Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #40
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
That didn't help. I was out in the open and Sirius/XM worked fine. I still had it connected to my phone's hotspot. I've tried a few times during the afternoon when I went several places, with no joy so far.

ETA: I've seen a couple hints that the outside temp may be too low to do the installation right now. I guess it worries about the battery? It was in the mid-30s today and not sunny at all. We have a couple days in the 40s with sun coming up, so maybe it'll work then.
This if from GM's maintenance info:

The status of several vehicle systems and factors are checked before starting installation. If your vehicle does not meet the necessary conditions (for example, if your battery state of charge is too low or if low ambient temperatures present a risk to your vehicle battery), you may receive a message stating that vehicle conditions are not ideal and the system will try again at a later time.

You could try connecting the car battery to a maintainer to ensure it's completely topped off and then trying again... You could also try DISCONNECTING the hotspot and letting the car use its own LTE radios to connect and download the software.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #41
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
You could try connecting the car battery to a maintainer to ensure it's completely topped off and then trying again... You could also try DISCONNECTING the hotspot and letting the car use its own LTE radios to connect and download the software.
I'm pretty sure it's just the temps. Tomorrow, when the high is supposed to be 41F, I'll slow-charge for a while and then try again. If that doesn't work, I think we'll have 50F on Thursday.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #42
Msquared

I meant to ask earlier: this is a two-step update process, where first it downloads and then it updates. Is there any way to verify that it's already downloaded the update and now just has to update?