Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

Phastek Performance

Old 12-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Canadian GOVNT considering ban on gas powered vehicles.

Get your CAMARO NOW!!!! Dont wait.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...wered-vehicles

Last edited by Speak99; 12-18-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Politicians are boneheads, just another clear case that you don't have to be smart to be in politics...just have a pulse.
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I don’t think they need a law for this. Once the prices drop just a little more people will transition naturally. Lower upfront cost(soon), lower fuel cost, lower maintenance cost, better performance.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I don’t think they need a law for this. Once the prices drop just a little more people will transition naturally. Lower upfront cost(soon), lower fuel cost, lower maintenance cost, better performance.
Put oh so boring.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Put oh so boring.
Yeah. A 1000hp factory hummer would be pretty boring and who would want an awd hybrid 800+hp corvette...
Old 12-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Speak99

You dont ban cars, these guys are idiots. You let the markets work it out. If you read the article, you would have seen that these rich politicians are concerned because consumers are not switching to battery powered cars fast enough to their liking. Thats the only reason.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Whoever came up with this needs to be thrown into northern Alberta in the middle of -30C/-20F winter for 1 month with only an EV to drive around with, and then I will hear their opinion.

Because I am sure EVs will work so well there. And I am sure none of the Canadian emissions has anything to do with the fact that people don't like being frozen.

All I will say is that there is a reason that Alberta is much more for separatism than Quebec nowadays.

Quote:
Yeah. A 1000hp factory hummer would be pretty boring and who would want an awd hybrid 800+hp corvette...
It's the sensation of the car, not how fast it goes that makes it fun for me.

It's the same thing why some people just like driving a manual. There is no objective reason for one, but the subjective reasons are far more than enough to justify it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
Speak99

I had a new employee come to work in her Tesla, she didn’t put the heater on because it draws too much
Power, this is what they want us to drive? A $50,000 peice of junk that you cant put the heater on! Besides, we dont have the electrical grid to support everyone driving these.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #9
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak99 View Post
I had a new employee come to work in her Tesla, she didn’t put the heater on because it draws too much
Power, this is what they want us to drive? A $50,000 peice of junk that you cant put the heater on! Besides, we dont have the electrical grid to support everyone driving these.
You might be right about the grid but I wouldn’t bet on it without seeing some data. The cars can charge at night when people are sleeping. Typically the power grid has excess capacity at this time. Maybe where you live there are lots of people with electric heat and this doesn’t apply?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #10
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Given the potato build quality of Tesla, junk would be insulted by you calling Tesla junk.

I would say if you are in a big city, you might be okay in an EV in the cold if we are talking about very short distances. But that's it, short distances, which isn't the case for everyone.

I have heard some say Ontario has enough power to power EVs with heating, but that doesn't apply to everywhere else, and even if supply isn't a problem, you need to be able to distribute it everywhere. Are they expecting everyone to have a garage? Apartment managements surely don't look forward to upgrading the power supply system in their buildings, and what happens to people that don't have a garage?

Lots of questions that don't have any answers. It's all "oh Europe is doing it, let's follow them because Europe is exactly the same as us".

Governments rarely listen to silly old engineers anyway, just like the speed limits on the west coast.

Quote:
You might be right about the grid but I wouldn’t bet on it without seeing some data. The cars can charge at night when people are sleeping. Typically the power grid has excess capacity at this time. Maybe where you live there are lots of people with electric heat and this doesn’t apply?
Allow me to educate you on the Canadian climate(outside of the west coast, that is):

And yes, a lot of people rely on electric heating in winter. Let me tell you, -30C/-20F is also a completely different ballpark compared to -15C/5F, and that's what the inland provinces see in the winter.

But heh, screw physics, right? Electricity comes from magic, according to extreme environmentalists.

Past:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
Speak99

And pixie Dust.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
UnknownJinX

Quote:
And pixie Dust.
Well duh, that's where energy comes from.

Turns out, engineering is just a huge scam.

Past:
Old 12-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
Dmundz

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2SS/RS
Our govt is delusional.
Dmundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #14
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Booooorrrring. I don't want to drive an appliance. Give me a manual transmission and a good ol' V8 in the front with poor economy and sweet noises out the back. Life is too short to listen to an electric motor hum.

I'm not driving an electric vehicle across the prairies in the middle of winter, it's a good way of ending up like an icicle in the middle of no where. Even if there are charging stations, I'm not waiting whatever time it takes to re-charge the stupid thing when its -30c. Put gas in and go.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote